How to remove stuck Ryzen CPU from cooler?

So of course I didn't warm up the paste enough before attempting to remove the stock cooler for my 3600, and the CPU got ripped out of the socket along with the cooler. Pins seem fine, so the next step is to remove the CPU from the cooler. I thought of using a heat gun to avoid static, but a few seconds after I point the heat gun at the CPU/cooler, it smells like burning metal/plastic. Is this normal? Thermal paste melting points differ from paste to paste, but for them to be practical they should all melt below ~100C right? Silicon substrate and the pins on the CPU have much higher melting points too. Should I just ignore the smell and heat it up until I can wiggle the CPU off? Or can anyone suggest a new idea?

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

dental floss run between the cooler and CPU. twist and pull.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just twist the cpu until it breaks the bond. No heat.

I use an adjustable wrench for leverage and just carefully turn the cpu.

Just now, Fasauceome said:

dental floss run between the cooler and CPU. twist and pull.

This is the stock cooler pre-applied paste. It's completely dried out. Doesn't seem to be soft enough for that. Have you done it before?

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

Just now, Noirgheos said:

This is the stock cooler pre-applied paste. It's completely dried out. Doesn't seem to be soft enough for that. Have you done it before?

sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

got a small metal/plastic scraper instead?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

got a small metal/plastic scraper instead?

I do.

Just now, Noirgheos said:

I do.

worth it to do a gentle pushing

Primary PC:

I'd do this:

Didn't see a need to retype it all so linked to it instead.

The first part pertains to the thread topic it's in but the rest applies.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

Butter knife and slow sawing motion if it is that dry just go slow and icapropal alcohol and yes I know I spelled that wrong 

I've never heard of dried thermal paste melting. Do not heat it, you're only warming the substrate.

The secret is in a gentle, back and forth twisting motion. I've never needed dental floss, but it is a good idea.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

Just apply some heat to your coupon,then wiggle the cooler gently.It should be fine then.

Just use a hair dryer. The heat is more than enough without being too hot and will loosen any thermal paste enough to remove. That goes for removing coolers from GPUs. Do not pull but twist slowly back and forth. I see some You-tubers pulling their GPU-coolers from the card and each time I expect the worse. Do not ever do that with a card that has been used for a couple of years.