Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to transfer files from HDD to M.2 SSD if I can't remove the hard drive or add a M.2 drive to the old PC.

I have an old alienware desktop with an HDD. I want to transfer ALL the files to the M.2 SSD on my new pc. Only problem is, I can't take the HDD out of the alienware pc (or rather, won't as I can not stand trying to work and troubleshoot it if something goes wrong) or add the M.2 drive to it as it has no 2280 slot. Anyone have any advice?

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Copy it over the network since there are 2 pcs.

Or use a external hdd.

How did I not think off that... how would I transfer the programs and windows files across network, though?

1 minute ago, 1stMidnight said:

How did I not think off that... how would I transfer the programs and windows files across network, though?

Id do. fresh instll of windows nd progrms on the new pc, and install the program again, and just copy your use files.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id do. fresh instll of windows nd progrms on the new pc, and install the program again, and just copy your use files.

Oh, okay. I was honestly more concerned about the programs since I don't really have any files that aren't on the cloud, but thanks!

Just now, 1stMidnight said:

Oh, okay. I was honestly more concerned about the programs since I don't really have any files that aren't on the cloud, but thanks!

Normally moving programs and windows to a new insall isn't a good idea and can cause weird issue. Can't you just reinstall the programs from the instller?

If you really wnt to clone, just move the hdd to the new pc, Its really easy and won't break things.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Normally moving programs and windows to a new insall isn't a good idea and can cause weird issue. Can't you just reinstall the programs from the instller?

If you really wnt to clone, just move the hdd to the new pc, Its really easy and won't break things.

I can, its just a gigantic pain. However, it is probably what I'll end up doing.