How did I do for my first time?

Budget (including currency): $1.5k USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming (kerbal space program, sims, city skylines, fivem, Minecraft, photo and video editing, light 3d work and audio editing, general day to day web browsing and discord use, 

Other details  2 1tb Samsung 860evo ssd, 1 new one and 1 that is in my laptop right now  (the one in my laptop will moved over once I figured out how to set up case next to my desk).

At the time of purchase it was $1,066 (including shipping) (the power supply actully cost $140)

Cable management still needs to be done. by the time me and friend that was helping actully got it all connected, we choose to wait to do the cable management another day.

See the finished build here

Due to the current prices and availability i wasnt able to get a graphics card, but if anyone at lmg is reading this and is feeling generous, I'll gladly take a graphics card off yours hands. 😉

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZV9Frr

Looks good, but I'm curious why you went with 9th gen Intel.

Is there any reasoning behind it or did you get a great deal on the 9900K?

elephants

Maybe I underestimate the CPU-might "photo and video editing, light 3d work" need, but I think you didn't had to spent that much on the CPU and Motherboard

Windows 11 Pro 22H2

Ryzen 3600

Gigabyte B450M DS3H

GIGABYTE RTX 2080 GAMING OC

G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

4 minutes ago, jonahadami said:

Maybe I underestimate the CPU-might "photo and video editing, light 3d work" need, but I think you didn't had to spent that much on the CPU and Motherboard

The OP said they spent $1066 total on the system, while actually paying about $50 more for the PSU, so some of the top line parts were obviously much cheaper at the time.

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of what was actually paid for each part, versus just what it's going for now. Unfortunately, the current pricing makes the system look like a very bad deal.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

4 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

The OP said they spent $1066 total on the system, while actually paying about $50 more for the PSU, so some of the top line parts were obviously much cheaper at the time.

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of what was actually paid for each part, versus just what it's going for now. Unfortunately, the current pricing makes the system look like a very bad deal.

If he really got good deals that makes sense. If not, I dont see what he needs a 9900K for. I guess a 10400 would be plenty for his usecase and wayy cheaper

Windows 11 Pro 22H2

Ryzen 3600

Gigabyte B450M DS3H

GIGABYTE RTX 2080 GAMING OC

G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

For  those asking why i went with the i9, 1. was cause i could/had the budget and 2 was i knew i wasnt going to be able to get a graphics card so i wanted something with built in graphics.

3 minutes ago, jmanflooppy said:

For  those asking why i went with the i9, 1. was cause i could/had the budget and 2 was i knew i wasnt going to be able to get a graphics card so i wanted something with built in graphics.

10850K wasn't available?

I edit my posts more often than not

18 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

Power supply was $130 usd on newegg
Case was $275 usd directly from corsair
Ram was $227 usd directly from corsair
Cpu was $383 usd from amazon
Cpu cooler was $170 usd from amazon

Motherboard was $170 usd from amazon
Thermal paste was $6.80 usd from amazon
(not including shipping)

5 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

10850K wasn't available?

not sure, didnt even realize they had anything above the i9 series at the time 

14 minutes ago, jmanflooppy said:

Power supply was $130 usd on newegg
Case was $275 usd directly from corsair
Ram was $227 usd directly from corsair
Cpu was $383 usd from amazon
Cpu cooler was $170 usd from amazon

Motherboard was $170 usd from amazon
Thermal paste was $6.80 usd from amazon
(not including shipping)

Ouch. $383 for that 9900K? 

Edit: haha I read "usd" as "used", but that's still not a very good deal.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Just now, Chris Pratt said:

Ouch. $383 *used* for that 9900K? 

that's bad? i thought was pretty good.

Just now, jmanflooppy said:

that's bad? i thought was pretty good.

Not really. It's two gen back, and you can get better parts for the same price now. 10850K is same price. 5800X is $50 more, but runs circles around it.

1 minute ago, Chris Pratt said:

Not really. It's two gen back, and you can get better parts for the same price now. 10850K is same price. 5800X is $50 more, but runs circles around it.

oh

Yeah.... I wouldn't pay anything more than 285 for a 9900K. 380 for a 9900K seems like a bit of a scam. The i7 10700K performs better, is on an alive platform, and is $90 cheaper...

geometry is hard
b550 > x570