Are fixed lens cameras worth it?

Hello, sorry if I got the term wrong, I'm new to photography (by fixed lens I mean something like canon sx740 hs or sony rx100 series), are they worth it? As in are they good cameras for the price as they are appealing for portable use and the clean hdmi out on some of them opens up opportunities and makes it more flexible. Clean hdmi out is relevant because I also plan to start streaming and getting a nice camera for both photography and streaming would certainly be great However having a photo only camera doesn't bother me. Sorry for rambling.

16 minutes ago, Janettebot said:

Hello, sorry if I got the term wrong, I'm new to photography (by fixed lens I mean something like canon sx740 hs or sony rx100 series), are they worth it? As in are they good cameras for the price as they are appealing for portable use and the clean hdmi out on some of them opens up opportunities and makes it more flexible. Clean hdmi out is relevant because I also plan to start streaming and getting a nice camera for both photography and streaming would certainly be great However having a photo only camera doesn't bother me. Sorry for rambling.

something is always worth it to the person who needs it/

i know people who make better photos with a phone than a expensive dslr and lnes because they don't know how to properly use the equipment or how to use the gear to take good phootos

if a compact camera like those are all you can afford and can do what you need eaasily, they are worth it.

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects

you can also see it this way, cameraas are not like iphones. you don't need to always have the latest or the best camera.  you don;t even need to have the latest iphone every year.  but the social media youtube instracrap etc. marketting and advertising campaigns and sponsorships by influencers have made people, especially beginners who know nothing about cameras are easily convinced they need something new and shiny

i have some current camera models for work though my newest camera is about 5 years old, but i still also have cameras and lenses and other equipment that are more than 10, 20, 30 years old.  some of the best lenses used in big budget hollywood movies are lenses that are decades old, converted to mount on newer cameras.  some of the best movies are still made using film instead of digital sensors

you dont always need hundreds of megapixels

you don't always need large sensors

you don't always need the newest or the latest

you don;t always need a dslr

real professionals, people who actually create great photos and videos, they aren't always buying the latest or the best just because someone with more knowledge of tech more than the creative side of the art says so.

the youtubers like tony northrop or whoever is popular these days, they make their living from convincing you that you need the newest and the best.  the companies that sponsor them pay them for doing that.

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects

15 hours ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

i know people who make better photos with a phone than a expensive dslr and lnes because they don't know how to properly use the equipment or how to use the gear to take good phootos

most modern cameras on full auto should beat an phone. last I looked my canon SL2 or t5 looked better than an iphone11 or pixel 3 in photos.

14 hours ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

some of the best lenses used in big budget hollywood movies are lenses that are decades old, converted to mount on newer cameras.  some of the best movies are still made using film instead of digital sensors

you dont always need hundreds of megapixels

you don't always need large sensors

you don't always need the newest or the latest

you don;t always need a dslr

real professionals, people who actually create great photos and videos,

much of the industry has moved to new arri signature primes/zooms which aren't old. for hollywood lens choice mostly comes down to its characteristic

yes

yes

yes

Yeah right now I wouldn't be buying a DLSR, mirroless is it unless all you shoot is sports then maybe your a 1dxmk3 till R3 is out.

please stop using the term "real professionals" it means nothing.

Point and shoots have their place and some are decent,
sonys ZV-1 and RX100 line have long been decent volg cameras, they look decent in video and photos

the sx740 isn't bad but I'd likely go a used DLSR/mirroless+ a decent lens over it.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

7 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

most modern cameras on full auto should beat an phone. last I looked my canon SL2 or t5 looked better than an iphone11 or pixel 3 in photos.

much of the industry has moved to new arri signature primes/zooms which aren't old. for hollywood lens choice mostly comes down to its characteristic

yes

yes

yes

Yeah right now I wouldn't be buying a DLSR, mirroless is it unless all you shoot is sports then maybe your a 1dxmk3 till R3 is out.

please stop using the term "real professionals" it means nothing.

Point and shoots have their place and some are decent,
sonys ZV-1 and RX100 line have long been decent volg cameras, they look decent in video and photos

the sx740 isn't bad but I'd likely go a used DLSR/mirroless+ a decent lens over it.

Thank you, I've been looking into sony and I've seen used rx100 iii and a new hx99. Should I get one of them? And if so which would be the better choice. Thanks in advance 

1 hour ago, Janettebot said:

Thank you, I've been looking into sony and I've seen used rx100 iii and a new hx99. Should I get one of them? And if so which would be the better choice. Thanks in advance 

for the 450-500$ no. the HX99 is better than the older rx100mk3
I'd spend a little more on a GX-85, I see them with 2 lenses for 600$

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 hour ago, GDRRiley said:

for the 450-500$ no. the HX99 is better than the older rx100mk3
I'd spend a little more on a GX-85, I see them with 2 lenses for 600$

Ok, even if I was to get the gx85 would I be able to find it with one lens? I dont have much room flex in tye budget that's all. Thanks in advance.

24 minutes ago, Janettebot said:

Ok, even if I was to get the gx85 would I be able to find it with one lens? I dont have much room flex in tye budget that's all. Thanks in advance.

not new, they seem to only bundle it with 2 lenses.

27 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

not new, they seem to only bundle it with 2 lenses.

I'm fine buying used if it gets me a nice camera