Can we reduce the cost of this RTX 3090 build? (design & rendering)

Mattice

Hi all, I'm currently making a new build for a design and rendering workstation. I would like to cut down the costs a bit since I'll need to get my hands on an overpriced RTX 3090 because of the VRAM that's needed for my renders... I will need a 2TB SSD, 64gb of RAM (for simulations) and a great high-core count processor, preferably Ryzen 9. I just want the system to be quiet and well balanced in performance. I do not plan on doing any overclocking, it needs to be stable.

Budget (including currency): 3000 euro ($3600), the less the better

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Generative design, procedural modelling & regular CAD modelling, GPU based rendering, parametric design, VFX (Keyshot (GPU), Unreal Engine, Rhino, heavy Grasshopper scripts, Houdini, Maya, Siemens NX, Zbrush,...)

CPU:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($499.99 @ Best Buy) 
CPU Cooler:

ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard:

Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($219.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory:

G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  ($344.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage:

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($307.75 @ Amazon) 
Video Card:

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB Founders Edition Video Card  ($2100.00 - hopefully a lot less....) 
Power Supply:

Corsair AX 850 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($265.98 @ Newegg) 
Case:

Dune Pro Case ($249.00)

Total: $4087.69

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qnMd2V

Any suggestions to cut down on costs somewhere? Maybe the cooler, memory, PSU,...

Could you save money by getting the non wifi board? I know for me I never use wifi on my PC since it's mostly for gaming. Not sure if you need wifi but if not you could possobly cut some slight cost there.

2 minutes ago, RegulatorRWF said:

Could you save money by getting the non wifi board? I know for me I never use wifi on my PC since it's mostly for gaming. Not sure if you need wifi but if not you could possobly cut some slight cost there.

Sure, but it's not that big of a difference unfortunately

You can get a way cheaper M.2 SSD. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

Any particular reason you're going with that case? There are so many more on the market that you could save a lot of money instead of paying $250

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core 3.7 GHz Socket AM4 105W || NZXT - Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler || MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI AM4 AMD X570 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard || CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) || SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express Gen 4.0 x4 || SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2 2280 500GB PCIe Gen 3.0 x4 || Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive || MSI RTX 3080 GAMING Z TRIO 10G LHR || Fractal Design Meshify 2 Black ATX Flexible Dark Tinted Tempered Glass Window || Seasonic FOCUS GX-850, 850W 80+ Gold, Full-Modular || Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit || Logitech - G502 Proteus Core Wireless Optical Mouse || Input Club K-Type w/ Ajazz Kiwi Switches

1 minute ago, Nathanpete said:

You can get a way cheaper M.2 SSD. 

do you have any recommendations?

Just now, m1lk3y said:

Any particular reason you're going with that case? There are so many more on the market that you could save a lot of money instead of paying $250

Well I really like the case, some hate the aesthetic but it's perfect for me. It's indeed quite pricey but I'm hoping I could cut down the costs on some of the other parts

16 minutes ago, Mattice said:

Hi all, I'm currently making a new build for a design and rendering workstation. I would like to cut down the costs a bit since I'll need to get my hands on an overpriced RTX 3090 because of the VRAM that's needed for my renders... I will need a 2TB SSD, 64gb of RAM (for simulations) and a great high-core count processor, preferably Ryzen 9. I just want the system to be quiet and well balanced in performance. I do not plan on doing any overclocking, it needs to be stable.

Budget (including currency): 3000 euro ($3600), the less the better

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Generative design, procedural modelling & regular CAD modelling, GPU based rendering, parametric design, VFX (Keyshot (GPU), Unreal Engine, Rhino, heavy Grasshopper scripts, Houdini, Maya, Siemens NX, Zbrush,...)

CPU:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($499.99 @ Best Buy) 
CPU Cooler:

ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard:

Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($219.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory:

G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  ($344.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage:

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($307.75 @ Amazon) 
Video Card:

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB Founders Edition Video Card  ($2100.00 - hopefully a lot less....) 
Power Supply:

Corsair AX 850 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($265.98 @ Newegg) 
Case:

Dune Pro Case ($249.00)

Total: $4087.69

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qnMd2V

Any suggestions to cut down on costs somewhere? Maybe the cooler, memory, PSU,...

Well, cost cutting eh?

1. Grab that 3090 at MSRP when stock stabilizes. Thatll cut you 600$ off the bat.

2. Step down to Corsair RM Series or switch to something like Super Flower Leadex Gold or Seasonic Focus series. Thatll dock you about 165$ less, but i would spend those saving on getting 850W PSU to avoid any power consumption spikes from the 3090 (some reported the latest drivers and VBIOS fixed it though)

3. Step down the SSD. If you only need PCIE SSD, you can step down to something like Mushkin Pilot-E or PNY CS2130. Thats 92$ savings.

4. Grab a different AIO. A lot of AIO watercooler designs are the same framework designed by Asetek, with the only difference being in overall quality of the material. The sky is the limit on this one, but ML240L from Cooler Master is the cheapest right now. 50$ saved.

5. Step down to B550. The difference between B550 and X570 quality wise is better connectivity and upgrade paths, so unless you need a lot more M.2 slot than 1, or you gonna add more 1/4x/8x expansion cards down the line, downgrading it will be fine. 120$ saving, but i would use said saving to get extra USB slots.

6. As a lot of people say, get a less overpriced case. Anything goes frankly with something like 5000DX can give you about 120$ saving.

So with all that in mind:

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

here is better and you still have 200$ to spend on storage or ram or MB or gpu whatever you want and the only problem that remain is the gpu if you can get one  

Thanks for all the suggestions! Very helpful. I can wait until July or August to start my build so I definitely have some time to wait for the price of the RTX 3090 to go down. Some do say stock won't improve by then and that prices could get even higher so I wasn't sure if I should look to buy one earlier for a decent price...

Step up on the psu front. Spend an extra 100 bucks for a 1000w supply

4 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Step up on the psu front. Spend an extra 100 bucks for a 1000w supply

not needed