Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Budget (including currency): £500-£1500

Country: UK

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Streaming/Recording Games like GTA V, F1 2021, Forza Horizon 4

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

 

So I am currently looking at upgrading my friend's current rig. Well, upgrading in the sense of keeping his graphics card and changing everything else because gpu shortages. Anyways, I have put together a rough list of parts so he could grasp at how much he needs to save up in order to do it all as he's going to ship his current PC to me alongside sending all the parts to my house and I'll put it together and keep his old pc as a form of payment and thanks for doing it (he broke his motherboard pins last time he tried to upgrade his pc so i'm not letting him touch it again). I've put a parts list together in Excel (which is attached to this thread) but I've also attached a screenshot for if you're not engrossed into Microsoft's ecosystem like I sadly have to be for college. The budget isn't set in stone and is more of a estimate of how much he wants to spend. He has to save up from his new job first anyways so it may take a few months for it to be built but he wants a good idea of what he needs to save and then buy when the time comes. He's most likely gonna be streaming in the 900p range which is like a mix of 720p's internet usage and 1080p's quality because he's on Welsh internet and cannot stream at 1080p (trust me, we tried it). Anyways I'll stop rambling and leave it to you geniuses to figure out what needs changing or not. I wanna make sure I get the best for him so he doesn't have to upgrade it again in the future (well apart from a GPU when they're in stock in 2045). 

 

Thank yous :)

AwqtT[1].png

New PC.xlsx

Current PC: 

Spoiler

Motherboard: MSI Z390-A PRO

CPU: Intel Core i5-8400 @ 2.80GHz

Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance 

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750

SSD: Crucial BX500 240GB

HDD: Seagate 2TB

PSU: Some 500w Thermaltake One

Case: Couldn't tell you, but it's been through a lot apparently 

Current Laptop:

Spoiler

Name: Lenovo ThinkBook 14 20SL003JUK

CPU: Intel i7-1065G7 @ 3GHz

Graphics: Intel Iris Graphics

RAM: 16GB DDR4 @ 2667MHz

SSD: 480GB Western Digital M.2

Secondary SSD: 240GB Adata SATA

Other Gear:

Spoiler

Phone: Samsung S9 Plus (128GB)

Headphones: Mpow Air SE

Assistant: Amazon Echo 1st Gen - Black

Self Promo Links:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The PSU, especially for the current gpu and wanted cpu is excessive, you would do fine with 650w or even lower with the current gpu. Get a cheaper psu then use the savings on a better gpu when they are in existence again. Something like a seasonic GX-650 or an RMX unit

finally escaped fm2+

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not going to pick my words here. The power supply is straight up overkill, even if you would want to add a RTX 3090. I would recommend a 750W PSU. You could also save some money with the SSD.

 

You could also pick the Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black, which would have almost the same performance or better than the AIO, or if you care about the best performance, check out the Dark Rock 4 or Mugen 5.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Consder getting a 5600x if they are in stock where you are.

If they are not, wither go to a i7 10700 (non-k) or get a z490 motherboard. The first is usually the better option unless you are overclocking. The motherboard you chose does not support overclocking anyway, so it doesn't make sense to pay extra to get an overclockable cpu.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You wasting money on psu you need to get 650 plus gold/ platinum  psu, if you are going to upgrade in future then I think 1000 will do

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, lgcas said:

The PSU, especially for the current gpu and wanted cpu is excessive, you would do fine with 650w or even lower with the current gpu. Get a cheaper psu then use the savings on a better gpu when they are in existence again. Something like a seasonic GX-650 or an RMX unit

See below about the PSU

4 hours ago, Zongohihello said:

I'm not going to pick my words here. The power supply is straight up overkill, even if you would want to add a RTX 3090. I would recommend a 750W PSU. You could also save some money with the SSD.

 

You could also pick the Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black, which would have almost the same performance or better than the AIO, or if you care about the best performance, check out the Dark Rock 4 or Mugen 5.

I will have a look at air cooling instead of an AIO then. I appreciate the feedback (also look below about the PSU). What would you say would be a more viable option for the M.2 then? I only picked the Evo because Samsung is a trusted brand and I know people with them and have had no issues. 

3 hours ago, Crafter King said:

You wasting money on psu you need to get 650 plus gold/ platinum  psu, if you are going to upgrade in future then I think 1000 will do

 

I am well aware of the overkill PSU. He insists on wanting a 1000W "for the memes" but I will try and talk some logic into him about getting a decent one and not one that's overkill. Out of curiousity, would overkill mess up anything at all? Probably a dumb question but may as well ask anyways.

 

4 hours ago, curiousmind34 said:

Consder getting a 5600x if they are in stock where you are.

If they are not, wither go to a i7 10700 (non-k) or get a z490 motherboard. The first is usually the better option unless you are overclocking. The motherboard you chose does not support overclocking anyway, so it doesn't make sense to pay extra to get an overclockable cpu.

Current chip shortages are making finding AMD difficult as hell but I will have a look at the non k option of the CPU as me nor him are planning to overclock anytime soon due to just being inexperienced with it and not wanting to fry anything. 

 

I appreciate all the feedback! 🙂 

Current PC: 

Spoiler

Motherboard: MSI Z390-A PRO

CPU: Intel Core i5-8400 @ 2.80GHz

Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance 

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750

SSD: Crucial BX500 240GB

HDD: Seagate 2TB

PSU: Some 500w Thermaltake One

Case: Couldn't tell you, but it's been through a lot apparently 

Current Laptop:

Spoiler

Name: Lenovo ThinkBook 14 20SL003JUK

CPU: Intel i7-1065G7 @ 3GHz

Graphics: Intel Iris Graphics

RAM: 16GB DDR4 @ 2667MHz

SSD: 480GB Western Digital M.2

Secondary SSD: 240GB Adata SATA

Other Gear:

Spoiler

Phone: Samsung S9 Plus (128GB)

Headphones: Mpow Air SE

Assistant: Amazon Echo 1st Gen - Black

Self Promo Links:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Zongohihello said:

I'm not going to pick my words here. The power supply is straight up overkill, even if you would want to add a RTX 3090. I would recommend a 750W PSU. You could also save some money with the SSD.

 

You could also pick the Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black, which would have almost the same performance or better than the AIO, or if you care about the best performance, check out the Dark Rock 4 or Mugen 5.

Is the fan on the Noctua one you suggested interchangable as he wants an eyesore RGB galore PC. If not, he'll have to deal with it anyways, just wondering out of curiosity. 

Current PC: 

Spoiler

Motherboard: MSI Z390-A PRO

CPU: Intel Core i5-8400 @ 2.80GHz

Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance 

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750

SSD: Crucial BX500 240GB

HDD: Seagate 2TB

PSU: Some 500w Thermaltake One

Case: Couldn't tell you, but it's been through a lot apparently 

Current Laptop:

Spoiler

Name: Lenovo ThinkBook 14 20SL003JUK

CPU: Intel i7-1065G7 @ 3GHz

Graphics: Intel Iris Graphics

RAM: 16GB DDR4 @ 2667MHz

SSD: 480GB Western Digital M.2

Secondary SSD: 240GB Adata SATA

Other Gear:

Spoiler

Phone: Samsung S9 Plus (128GB)

Headphones: Mpow Air SE

Assistant: Amazon Echo 1st Gen - Black

Self Promo Links:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

More power won't kill your parts cause electricity is not flow it is draw the parts will draw enough power for itself . So your parts won't damage by more power , if going for more power it will also give you option to upgrade in future if you want to add a part which requires more power . 

Hope this info helps you 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Stentorian said:

Is the fan on the Noctua one you suggested interchangable as he wants an eyesore RGB galore PC. If not, he'll have to deal with it anyways, just wondering out of curiosity. 

it is interchangable but really not recommended as noctua's fans are considered the best fans, there is a reason why their air coolers are so good 😛

CPU: i5-4590 | CPU Cooler: SPC Spartan LT HE922 | MOBO: ASRock H87 Fatal1ty | GPU: Gigabyte R9 280 3GB | RAM: 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix 1600Mhz | SSD: MX500 1TB | Case: SPC Armis AR7X | PSU: XFX TS550W | Custom Cables: Phanteks Extension Kit (White)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/20/2021 at 6:09 PM, Crafter King said:

More power won't kill your parts cause electricity is not flow it is draw the parts will draw enough power for itself . So your parts won't damage by more power , if going for more power it will also give you option to upgrade in future if you want to add a part which requires more power . 

Hope this info helps you 🙂

That has helped a lot actually, thanks! As I mentioned, his preference was to go balls to wall with the PSU because he likes the idea of a 1000 Watts of power. He's not the most technical minded, hence why I'm building it for him and configuring it all because if he had a choice, he'd just buy a pre-build off eBay with a dodgy PSU inside of it. 

 

On 4/20/2021 at 8:34 PM, xKr1Sx said:

it is interchangable but really not recommended as noctua's fans are considered the best fans, there is a reason why their air coolers are so good 😛

Okay, thank you. I'll tell him to suck it up when it comes to the air cooler then if he wants the best performance out of the machine. Everything else is RGB central, including strips of RGB for inside of the case, so he'll just have to deal with it. Thank you for the feedback 🙂 

Current PC: 

Spoiler

Motherboard: MSI Z390-A PRO

CPU: Intel Core i5-8400 @ 2.80GHz

Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance 

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750

SSD: Crucial BX500 240GB

HDD: Seagate 2TB

PSU: Some 500w Thermaltake One

Case: Couldn't tell you, but it's been through a lot apparently 

Current Laptop:

Spoiler

Name: Lenovo ThinkBook 14 20SL003JUK

CPU: Intel i7-1065G7 @ 3GHz

Graphics: Intel Iris Graphics

RAM: 16GB DDR4 @ 2667MHz

SSD: 480GB Western Digital M.2

Secondary SSD: 240GB Adata SATA

Other Gear:

Spoiler

Phone: Samsung S9 Plus (128GB)

Headphones: Mpow Air SE

Assistant: Amazon Echo 1st Gen - Black

Self Promo Links:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×