Ryzen 5 3600 (stock cooler) 65°C idle temps, +75°C load temps

Hi all,

I run a Ryzen 5 3600 with the stock cooler on an Asus Prime X470 Pro, and after upgrading to the most recent chipset release (2.13.27.501) I seem to be running hotter than before.

I checked temps in Ryzen Master, and got idle readings around 65°C (no other programs running) and game temps in excess of 75°C.

I have ensured a good thermal paste application, that my cooler is tightened as much as possible, and that my PC has adequate cooling.

I tried setting an "undervolt" in bios using PBO by setting the PPT to 70 (down from 88 stock), but the change doesn't seem to register in Ryzen Master.

Side note: There appears to be 2 settings for PBO in bios - not sure if this is specific to Asus or not but I don't know which one to change/which one works.

I've read of people having idle temps in the 30s WITH the Ryzen 5 3600 stock cooler and I can't seem to get anywhere near that. What gives? Any suggestions on how to lower temps with bios tweaks, Ryzen Master tweaks, etc?

Thanks in advance

35 minutes ago, Audity said:

Hi all,

I run a Ryzen 5 3600 with the stock cooler on an Asus Prime X470 Pro, and after upgrading to the most recent chipset release (2.13.27.501) I seem to be running hotter than before.

I checked temps in Ryzen Master, and got idle readings around 65°C (no other programs running) and game temps in excess of 75°C.

I have ensured a good thermal paste application, that my cooler is tightened as much as possible, and that my PC has adequate cooling.

I tried setting an "undervolt" in bios using PBO by setting the PPT to 70 (down from 88 stock), but the change doesn't seem to register in Ryzen Master.

Side note: There appears to be 2 settings for PBO in bios - not sure if this is specific to Asus or not but I don't know which one to change/which one works.

I've read of people having idle temps in the 30s WITH the Ryzen 5 3600 stock cooler and I can't seem to get anywhere near that. What gives? Any suggestions on how to lower temps with bios tweaks, Ryzen Master tweaks, etc?

Thanks in advance

That sounds completely normal to me.

I was using a cooler that wasn't designed for AM4 (granted a LOT bigger), and I got idle temps of 55. Game temps were ~85C.

I haven't tried the stock cooler (I actually took the fan off of it) but based on other people's reports, there's nothing wrong here.

Remember, cases and fan layouts also affect temperatures. What case do you have, what fan(s) do you have in it (if any), and where are they placed?

elephants

11 hours ago, FakeKGB said:

That sounds completely normal to me.

I was using a cooler that wasn't designed for AM4 (granted a LOT bigger), and I got idle temps of 55. Game temps were ~85C.

I haven't tried the stock cooler (I actually took the fan off of it) but based on other people's reports, there's nothing wrong here.

Remember, cases and fan layouts also affect temperatures. What case do you have, what fan(s) do you have in it (if any), and where are they placed?

I have the Phanteks P600S with the front fan cover removed, and 4 Corsair LL120 fans - 3 pulling air in from the front and 1 exhausting out the back. See picture below.

Also I believe my ambient room temperature is around 21°C. Should I be at all concerned about the longevity of my processor if it is always running above 60°C?

image.thumb.png.d49365560e86ef97f357d47dd2223097.png