How to scan several pages into one PDF with Windows 10 software?

oscar7601
Go to solution Solved by Alan G,

We have an HP Envy 5000 and the included HP scan software has an option to do this.  I would double check the documentation of the printer software to make sure this option is absent.  You cannot merge documents through Windows.

Hi everyone,

Surely there is a way to get Windows 10's included softwares to scan and then merge several pages into one PDF. But I haven't found out how to do that yet.

My printer is an HP B010a. HP's software is absolute bull**** and can't even see the printer (it's looking for it on the network while this printer is USB only 🙄)

I would much rather use an included software of Windows 10 but until now I have only found this telecopy software which doesn't let me scan to PDF (I cannot choose PDF in the format drop-down list). And the official Windows scanning software I downloaded from the Microsoft store does not offer the option to merge several pages at all.

How am I supposed to do this please? (NB : in the screenshot below, the bottom greyed-out text is the option I would like to tick, to merge several pages into one single PDF, but as you can see, I cannot set the file format to PDF)

image.png.d6c780adfa7038fe5d0b633fa1a617b6.png

The "Scanner" windows store app scans to PDF, but you still need a 3rd party tool to merge them. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

You can't, you can only scan individual pages.

Merge your PDF pages into a single PDF with Acrobat DC or a free online tool.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

We have an HP Envy 5000 and the included HP scan software has an option to do this.  I would double check the documentation of the printer software to make sure this option is absent.  You cannot merge documents through Windows.

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10

4 hours ago, Alan G said:

Thanks, I'd rather have used a Windows software but HP Smart did the trick.

Having to create an account to be able to scan with that software is totally ridiculous though...

Irfanview - free image viewer , link https://www.irfanview.com/  -  has a "Take picture from scanner" option in the menu and it also has an option to not close the scanner interface after the image is taken.

So you can configure it to auto name the image as soon as it's received and save it into a folder, then continue to scan the next picture and so on  ... you can put file counters in the file names and Irfanview saves the images automatically as page001.png, page002.png and so on.

You can then use all kinds of free tools to create PDF out of the images, for example PDF24 (it's a free open source software you can download and install) : https://en.pdf24.org/

It also offers a virtual printer that saves the output as PDF...

image.png.0fa847d5baf636f52e58951663cc7848.png

Select SCAN/Twain source to select your scanner (because irfanview can also grab from tv tuners, webcams etc) ... here's what it shows on this laptop:

image.png.ea875b82896357ed05d48a5b53626499.png

Then select acquire ... see picture below

So acquire / batch scanning ...

Check multiple images, batch mode ... I chose "ScanImage" and start from 1, increment by 1, use 2 digits .. so it's gonna be ScanImage01, ScanImage02 and so on ... it's useful if you want to scan all the odd pages of a book, then the other sides of those pages, you can set it to start at 2 and increment by 2 and you'll have page02, page04 and so on ... 

image.png.acad33fd929693c3abe4179d8014ef77.png

- there's also pdf as output option, but that's only available as plugin, so i typically go with png because i sometimes also use batch conversion feature to adjust contrast or crop borders of all images or convert to grayscale -

so after this image you can hit OK and that scanner application loads, you can hit preview... prepare to scan page as you normally do, then hit scan ... image will be loaded within irfanview and auto saved to folder in the format you choose and the scanner window won't close. You can simply change the page and hit scan again and repeat until you're done.

Then you can grab all pictures, dump them in PDF24 or whatever free software you go with and out comes a pdf file.... all done with free software.