Plan of attack for upgrades.

litochvn

So my computer is basically half hand-me-down half brand new.

Looking for opinions on my very first build. 
Also looking for help on my plan of attacking some upgrades for the future. 
I have already upgraded the hand me down ram from a random single 8gb stick to the  Corsair vengeance 16gb (2x8) 

Let me know where I could go with this build, I know my motherboard can support the 7 series ryzen now so I wanna do that but idk if it would be more cost efficient to tackle something else like my motherboard it’s self. 

Budget (including currency): $870

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly gaming, light schoolwork 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc:

My build as is;

Ryzen 5 1400

EVGA GeForce GTX 1650 ko ultra 

MSI b350m Bazooka 

Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz 16gb (2x8) 
Seagate 2tb HDD

Crucial 500gb SSD 

Stock CPU cooler that came with the ryzen 

Montech Air mesh 900

With the current GPU shortage I would recommend upgrading the motherboard and CPU to something a bit more recent maybe even something with PCI4? and yeah a ryzen 7 or a ryzen 5 would be nice, get a 5000 series (most recent generation) with the new motherboard, and treat yourself with an nvme ssd, that will make a massive change! The only reason to get a ryzen 7 over a ryzen 5 is if you do a lot of multithreading stuff.

Just now, Crafter King said:

You need better mobo for ryzen 7 like b450 or 550 

And also check for sufficient power to handle ryzen 7

15 minutes ago, AndrewTheFrenchMan said:
15 minutes ago, AndrewTheFrenchMan said:

With the current GPU shortage I would recommend upgrading the motherboard and CPU to something a bit more recent maybe even something with PCI4? and yeah a ryzen 7 or a ryzen 5 would be nice, get a 5000 series (most recent generation) with the new motherboard, and treat yourself with an nvme ssd, that will make a massive change! The only reason to get a ryzen 7 over a ryzen 5 is if you do a lot of multithreading stuff.

So I don’t want to break the bank for my upgrades just yeah. I told myself I wouldn’t go balls to the wall for my first pc. You have any particular recommendations for the MOBO and CPU? 

8 minutes ago, Crafter King said:

And also check for sufficient power to handle ryzen 7

To answer both your first and second post;

on my specs list for the msi board I’m using in the most recent bios update is said it could run the ryzen 7 series. 

I believe I have a 500w psu 

1 hour ago, litochvn said:

To answer both your first and second post;

on my specs list for the msi board I’m using in the most recent bios update is said it could run the ryzen 7 series. 

I believe I have a 500w psu 

If you have budget limit then go for b 450 mobo or if there is no budget limit then go for 550

1 minute ago, Crafter King said:

If you have budget limit then go for b 450 mobo or if there is no budget limit then go for 550

And if you are going for b450 it needs atleast 125 watts of power check if you have this much power