Bad Temps 5900x with Arctic Freezer II 420

anzulo

So I've gotten myself a 5900x and went with the Arctic Freezer II 420 for cooling. I am super happy with my purchase. Amazing CPU.

But I found it seems to have a hard time cooling the CPU on full load. I mean that happens very rarely but it is still bugging me.

Shouldn't this cooler be able to handle 200w+ workloads? I reach 90c in an 180w workload... at least it's dead silent

My CPU still has a lot of headroom for overclocking, but temps are limiting me.

I wonder if my cooler is faulty. I've also ordered the Arctic Freezer II 280 variant and tested it. Temps were slightly worse then 420.

I've watched the gamersnexus review. They got like 50-55c on a 200w workload (using 3950x).

How am I getting 90c on 180w (cinebench)? These numbers seem way to high.

I get 40c in idle and 70-80c in gaming though.

For my configuration:

• I've limited my CPU to 180w (180 PPT) for testing purposes
  • At cinebench full load 180w I am getting 88-90c temps (seems to be ok for ryzen 5000)
  • I've remounted the cooler like 5-6 times now. - didn't change much
  • The mount is tightened as much as it allows me
  • I've run the cooler outside of the pc case (maybe airflow) - that also didn't change much
  • I am using arctic mx-4 thermal paste (also tried noctua h1 - no difference)
  • My Arctic Freezer is Rev.4 and i am using the AMD offset mount
  • I've Top Mounted the RAD - also tried moving the RAD to get air bubbles out - also didnt change much
  • I am using the default AM4 Backplate of my Mainboard (MSI x570 unify)
  • I am running push pull (didn't really improve max temps)
  • I am using 6x Arctic P14 Fans maxing out at 80%/90c - temps don't change much above 60% it only gets noisier
  • I have 18-20c ambient

I've had Kraken x62 before but was much louder when gaming. I really feel like my cooler is limiting my CPU

Just Curious: Would a custom loop yield lower temps in comparison to Arctic Freezer II 420? 

thar sounds very much like its not mounted correctly or you are using too little thermal paste.

If the cooler would be broken you would overheat in a few minutes and could never sustain a high clock.

Im only running a 5800X but my temps are way lower and im only using air cooling.

i would recommend you post pictures how the rad and cooler is mounted, then remove the cooler again and post a picture of how the thermalpaste is squished.

What rpm are you running the pump and fans at?

Why are you using F14's instead of the stock P14's?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

29 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

What rpm are you running the pump and fans at?

Why are you using F14's instead of the stock P14's?

Sorry that was a typo. I meant P14. I reach 90c when running them at 1300 RPM (80%). Going 1500 RPM / 100% doesn't change much. Maybe 1-2c diff.

Temps in general don't change much above 40% fan speed.

I can't see or change the pump speed in this cooler.

5900x-cinebench-90c-180w.PNG

what your voltage like?

also its the same pump for a 120 as it is for a 420. so flow rate might be the cause.

43 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

what your voltage like?

also its the same pump for a 120 as it is for a 420. so flow rate might be the cause.

4,4ghz @ 1,25v in cinebench. Nothing crazy
I am not able to change the flow rate on this cooler, right?

Edit: I've now plugged in the Pump+VRM Fan into the Pump Header (always 100%) and Fans into CPU Header. That did improve idle temps but did not change my max temps.

54 minutes ago, anzulo said:

4,4ghz @ 1,25v in cinebench. Nothing crazy
I am not able to change the flow rate on this cooler, right?

Edit: I've now plugged in the Pump+VRM Fan into the Pump Header (always 100%) and Fans into CPU Header. That did improve idle temps but did not change my max temps.

its bit high.should be closer to 80c. are you using 4 stick of ram? are you using PBO?

17 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

its bit high.should be closer to 80c. are you using 4 stick of ram? are you using PBO?

4 stick of RAM and PBO with CO. I should say classic oc didn't change my temps

That looks like an awful OC. On Gamers Nexus review it ran stock 4350MHz with 125W:s. Just leave it stock or really look into boost curves that came with new bios versions.

9 minutes ago, anzulo said:

4 stick of RAM and PBO with CO. I should say classic oc didn't change my temps

4 stick put more load on the memory controller which equals more heat.

1 minute ago, Jeppes said:

That looks like an awful OC. On Gamers Nexus review it ran stock 4350MHz with 125W:s. Just leave it stock or really look into boost curves that came with new bios versions.

agree

but:

did you tune you PBO setting?

you could try something like

PPT – 185W, TDC – 125A, EDC – 170A

might be ok to bring up the voltage to 1.3-1.35

and sorry im guessing your using PBO2?

Don't mind the oc. I can always use CTR instead of PBO2 to get better efficiency. PBO2 is great overall tho.

Just for completeness. I am using PPT – 185W, TDC – 125A, EDC – 170A.  I wouldn't mind bringing the voltage to 1.3v but temps are limiting me.

Also using 4 Sticks makes more sense because it seems like in zen3 you get like 10% more performance by using 4 instead of 2 sticks.

I would love to know if my cooler is running as expected. I feel like it's underperforming a little in the upper end...

• 2 years later...

I too have had issues, but I have it with the i9 13900k. Honestly, I don't know what the temp SHOULD BE, but I have the Arctic Freezer II 420 with 6 fans in a push/pull configuration. I adjusted my fan curves to max out full speed at high temps (and they do), and even have them sitting on higher RPMS on the low side of the curve. Yet, I still thermal throttle, with no overclocking, in Cinebench R23. I have re-applied thermal paste several times, using Kryonaut, and it just hasn't improved, and repasting gets expensive with Kryonaut. I guess maybe I had too high expectations from this AIO.

Oh, and I also replaced the ILM bracket as well to prevent the bending of the cpu.

12 hours ago, MobileGeek said:

I too have had issues, but I have it with the i9 13900k. Honestly, I don't know what the temp SHOULD BE, but I have the Arctic Freezer II 420 with 6 fans in a push/pull configuration. I adjusted my fan curves to max out full speed at high temps (and they do), and even have them sitting on higher RPMS on the low side of the curve. Yet, I still thermal throttle, with no overclocking, in Cinebench R23. I have re-applied thermal paste several times, using Kryonaut, and it just hasn't improved, and repasting gets expensive with Kryonaut. I guess maybe I had too high expectations from this AIO.

Oh, and I also replaced the ILM bracket as well to prevent the bending of the cpu.

Nice grave dig. But to answer your question - what is your core voltage under load? Some mobos like to overvolt the cpu and it becomes impossible to cool. 

Get hwinfo64 and run it while running cinebench. Post a screenie of the sensors info a couple minutes into the run. 

6 hours ago, Whatisthis said:

Nice grave dig. But to answer your question - what is your core voltage under load? Some mobos like to overvolt the cpu and it becomes impossible to cool. 

Get hwinfo64 and run it while running cinebench. Post a screenie of the sensors info a couple minutes into the run. 

image.png.9571544bc019585d03137e6c66016aa5.png

37 minutes ago, MobileGeek said:

image.png.9571544bc019585d03137e6c66016aa5.png

that is rly good 

@MobileGeek You’ve got the cpu pulling 330w to the cores. That’s a lot. Basically any non-exotic cooling solution is going to struggle with that.

It looks like voltage is ok, but you can try lowering it slightly and see if it’s still stable. Go into bios and do a -0.05v offset. Should be stable and give you a slight drop in temps.

If your pump is not running at 100%, do that too.

7 hours ago, Whatisthis said:

@MobileGeek You’ve got the cpu pulling 330w to the cores. That’s a lot. Basically any non-exotic cooling solution is going to struggle with that.

It looks like voltage is ok, but you can try lowering it slightly and see if it’s still stable. Go into bios and do a -0.05v offset. Should be stable and give you a slight drop in temps.

If your pump is not running at 100%, do that too.

Thanks for the advice. I had tried this previously with XTU, but wasn't stable. Seems to do better through the BIOS.

I managed to tweak to a -0.055. -0.060 resulted in Cinebench crashing but the whole system did not crash. Definitely improved results. I had 4 cores throttling before, but only 1 now. That pesky PCore 7 on my chip still wants to get hot. My Cinebench score improved by nearly 1000 points to 38460 with less throttling.

image.png.0fecbefc57c70f8746ed68fdb7bb2de5.png

8 minutes ago, MobileGeek said:

Thanks for the advice. I had tried this previously with XTU, but wasn't stable. Seems to do better through the BIOS.

I managed to tweak to a -0.055. -0.060 resulted in Cinebench crashing but the whole system did not crash. Definitely improved results. I had 4 cores throttling before, but only 1 now. That pesky PCore 7 on my chip still wants to get hot. My Cinebench score improved by nearly 1000 points to 38460 with less throttling.

image.png.0fecbefc57c70f8746ed68fdb7bb2de5.png

That’s about right with that cpu. I’d call that good and move on.