Far Cry 5 Performance/Stuttering

Good afternoon all,

I have recently started playing Far Cry 5 (yes I know I'm very late) and upon playing the game I noticed very odd performance, presented in the form of stuttering; Running the in-game benchmark without vsync enabled (limited to 125 fps for other reasons) produced a maximum of 125fps, with an average of 117fps and minimum of 73.7fps. This was running the game at ultra, 1080 using the system specs signed below. This system I feel should not receive these results in this game, and when checking CPU and GPU usage, CPU maxed out at around 45% and GPU maxed at 60%; so I upped the resolution to 1440p. Benchmarking at this resolution left CPU usage the same, increased GPU usage to around 75-80%, but produced almost identical framerate results. When turning on v-sync at 60hz the results are maximum of 60fps, minimum of 57fps and average of 59fps.

With vsync disabled, even though it doesn't drop below 60fps it looks rather choppy; and with vsync enabled, it is definitely choppy as every second it drops from 60 to 59fps. However as aforementioned none of my system resources are being maxed out, including RAM usage and so on, so I am left rather confused as to why this would be occurring? I have read many forums and there are issues listed such as autosave stutter and so on however this does not seem to be the same issue I am experiencing as mine occurs the entire time of play.

Any advice/insight would be appreciated,

Thanks all 🙂

System Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X (Stock Clocks) | MB: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro - 16 GB (2 x 8GB) 3000MHz | GPU: MSI Ventus 3x RTX 3070 | Storage: Crucial P1 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD; Seagate Barracude 4TB ST4000DM004 HDD, 256MB | PSU SilverStone 650W Strider Gold S 80+ Gold | Cooling: Corsair iCUE H100i Pro XT 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler  

Close background tasks and bloatware.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

2 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Close background tasks and bloatware.

Thanks Vishera,

Unfortunately I have already tried playing the game with everything but the essentials disabled, including all antivirus software, monitoring software, etc. The results remain consistent throughout

System Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X (Stock Clocks) | MB: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro - 16 GB (2 x 8GB) 3000MHz | GPU: MSI Ventus 3x RTX 3070 | Storage: Crucial P1 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD; Seagate Barracude 4TB ST4000DM004 HDD, 256MB | PSU SilverStone 650W Strider Gold S 80+ Gold | Cooling: Corsair iCUE H100i Pro XT 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler  

Just now, ForensicRug said:

everything but the essentials

What are these essentials?

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

1 minute ago, Vishera said:

What are these essentials?

Erm, things such as the service host processes, runtime brokers, security authority processes, nvidia container (which I can't seem to stop), bluetooth drivers. Basically all the windows processes that I'm not sure I can just shut off. Unfortunately I can't even really close the ubisoft services because that has caused issues upon itself

I have a similair/same problem. I noticed it in 3 different games so far. There is stuttering after starting the game. After about half an hour or so it seems to stabelize tough.

I noticed it first in Anno 1800. Seemed to be a sound stutter there because the graphics stutters where small enough to be unnoticed. So I assumed it was a problem for Anno.

Then it also happened in planet coaster. Same sound stutter with noticeable smal graphics stutters. Also after some time it would be stable again.

And last it happens in Elite Dangerous. Noticeable sound and graphic stutters stable after a little while.

I have my PC connected to a samsung 65' TV via displayport to HDMI. It only refreshes at 60Hz at 4k. Could that be related? And would that mean some sort of hardware bottleneck?

29 minutes ago, Teun888 said:

I have a similair/same problem. I noticed it in 3 different games so far. There is stuttering after starting the game. After about half an hour or so it seems to stabelize tough.

I noticed it first in Anno 1800. Seemed to be a sound stutter there because the graphics stutters where small enough to be unnoticed. So I assumed it was a problem for Anno.

Then it also happened in planet coaster. Same sound stutter with noticeable smal graphics stutters. Also after some time it would be stable again.

And last it happens in Elite Dangerous. Noticeable sound and graphic stutters stable after a little while.

I have my PC connected to a samsung 65' TV via displayport to HDMI. It only refreshes at 60Hz at 4k. Could that be related? And would that mean some sort of hardware bottleneck?

When you say you've noticed the issue with three games, have you played others and not had issues?

I have been getting the same frames in some games using the highest preset at 1080p and 1440p ever since I got a 2080 ti.  The worst are GTA 5, RDR 2 and Far Cry 5.

I did install the game on my R7 5800x I built and it averages 127fps in the benches on the highest preset. Both the R7 and 2080 ti, Both are stock. With my 24/7 GPU overclock the average went up tp 134fps.

If the game is on your HDD that can cause stutter.  I stopped even using 7200rpm HDDs for gaming in 2007(for games like MS Flight Sim) and went with 10,000rpm ones until SSDs became cheap.  

Even the presents of a slow Hdd can cause stutter in some games thanks to Windows.

Easy to test, just unplug it. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

8 hours ago, jones177 said:

I have been getting the same frames in some games using the highest preset at 1080p and 1440p ever since I got a 2080 ti.  The worst are GTA 5, RDR 2 and Far Cry 5.

I did install the game on my R7 5800x I built and it averages 127fps in the benches on the highest preset. Both the R7 and 2080 ti, Both are stock. With my 24/7 GPU overclock the average went up tp 134fps.

If the game is on your HDD that can cause stutter.  I stopped even using 7200rpm HDDs for gaming in 2007(for games like MS Flight Sim) and went with 10,000rpm ones until SSDs became cheap.  

Even the presents of a slow Hdd can cause stutter in some games thanks to Windows.

Easy to test, just unplug it. 

Yea too be honest, even if it isn't causing my own personal stutters, I think it's about time to pay more attention too the hard-drives I put in my PC, the main one with a large majority of my games is only 5400rpm. The next thing I will be trying is transferring it over too an SSD to see if that helps my stutters.

It's just odd because I've had stutter with most of my games;

- I played the AC Ezio Trilogy with little amounts of micro stutter, but the games are known for i

- Far Cry 5 now

- Gears of War 4 would stutter after like an hour, but then sometimes not at all

- Witcher 1 stutters (but that is a CPU issue, because I run it with an unlimited framerate and the game only uses 1 CPU core so when the core maxes out the game hitches for a millisecond

But yea the next test will be swapping the game install to the SSD and then I might try what you are saying with the HDD's just for a test. A shame you can spend so much on powerful hardware and end up with issues you never used to have on old hardware haha

10 hours ago, ForensicRug said:

Yea too be honest, even if it isn't causing my own personal stutters, I think it's about time to pay more attention too the hard-drives I put in my PC, the main one with a large majority of my games is only 5400rpm. The next thing I will be trying is transferring it over too an SSD to see if that helps my stutters.

It's just odd because I've had stutter with most of my games;

- I played the AC Ezio Trilogy with little amounts of micro stutter, but the games are known for i

- Far Cry 5 now

- Gears of War 4 would stutter after like an hour, but then sometimes not at all

- Witcher 1 stutters (but that is a CPU issue, because I run it with an unlimited framerate and the game only uses 1 CPU core so when the core maxes out the game hitches for a millisecond

But yea the next test will be swapping the game install to the SSD and then I might try what you are saying with the HDD's just for a test. A shame you can spend so much on powerful hardware and end up with issues you never used to have on old hardware haha

All the games you mentioned are open world and load as you go so performance will degrade over time. If you installed a high res texture packs like the one on the setup screen of Far Cry 5 it take less time for the stutters to come.

Even 7200rpm drives will cause stutter over time. The cache on them is designed the move lots of small chunks of data, not large chunks like textures.  

The last time I tried to use a 72000rpm HDD it was a WD 5tb Black in 2016. It was fine with my vanilla games but all my modded games were unplayable with stutter.  Four days after buying the WD Black I bought my first 2.5 SATA SSD and it got rid of all the stutter.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

52 minutes ago, jones177 said:

All the games you mentioned are open world and load as you go so performance will degrade over time. If you installed a high res texture packs like the one on the setup screen of Far Cry 5 it take less time for the stutters to come.

Even 7200rpm drives will cause stutter over time. The cache on them is designed the move lots of small chunks of data, not large chunks like textures.  

The last time I tried to use a 72000rpm HDD it was a WD 5tb Black in 2016. It was fine with my vanilla games but all my modded games were unplayable with stutter.  Four days after buying the WD Black I bought my first 2.5 SATA SSD and it got rid of all the stutter.

That's great too know, thanks for that

I also just wanted to include these screenshots, to see if I am missing any data in the MSI monitoring software that is worth checking; the two screenshots are taken running the Far Cry 5 benchmarks, and were taken at the point where the game dropped a frame and stuttered (the framerate is capped at 60 fps and drops to 59 which is where the stutter is noticeable, and produces a 17.5ms frametime) as you can see though, nothing is even close to maxing out except for VRAM which I have to check because every time I ran the benchmark the VRAM usage increased by 100MB

Untitled 2.png

Untitled.png

On 4/20/2021 at 12:28 PM, ForensicRug said:

When you say you've noticed the issue with three games, have you played others and not had issues?

No those are the only ones I have played. So I assume it's in all games. But there doesn't seem to be stutters in other applications. Altough most of those don't use sound so I'm wondering if that is related.

3 hours ago, Teun888 said:

No those are the only ones I have played. So I assume it's in all games. But there doesn't seem to be stutters in other applications. Altough most of those don't use sound so I'm wondering if that is related.

It may be related; but what I might also add is check antivirus software and other system software. On my old PC, whenever I would use anything that intensively read/writes to my hard drive, especially downloads, it would cause my whole system to stutter including audio. Thankfully audio does not stutter in far cry, simply the frame rate. Also I had NZXT Cam installed previously, and it caused system hard crashes and bitches no matter what programs or games I was playing so check for things like that also