Dell MD3220, Good For Home NAS?

I could potentially pick up a pair of Dell MD3220s at auction in about a week for a good price. Would these be a good choice for my first NAS. These are empty but there are several lots of drives up for auction too. Is there anything I should know before I bid or is this just not a good choice for a home NAS.

Planning on using primarily for PLEX and GoPro storage from my races.

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @4.4gHz  Custom H20 Loop - CPU & VRM pair of 360mm rads with Noctua fans  |  ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Formula Water cooling utilized  |  Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200CL16 4x16GB  |  EVGA RTX2080 Super FTW3  |  Seasonic Platinum 1000W  Samsung 840 250GB -  Video Processing \ Export |  Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB - Video Import \ Temp  |  Samsung 970 EVO Pro NVMe 500GB -  Boot |  2x Western Digital Blue 4TB - Storage  |  Thermaltake View 51 Snow

Well they seem to be 2.5 drive only, so not great for nas use normally.

Also is only a sas enclosure, so you still need a computer for hte network connection nas part.

Id personally skip it for a home nas.

57 minutes ago, SGRacing said:

I could potentially pick up a pair of Dell MD3220s at auction in about a week for a good price. Would these be a good choice for my first NAS. These are empty but there are several lots of drives up for auction too. Is there anything I should know before I bid or is this just not a good choice for a home NAS.

Planning on using primarily for PLEX and GoPro storage from my races.

what do you need as a nas ? 4, 8 tb ? This seems like it's gonna be overkill and kind of uselessly loud for such a task (and electricity-thirsty)

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

17 hours ago, givingtnt said:

what do you need as a nas ? 4, 8 tb ? This seems like it's gonna be overkill and kind of uselessly loud for such a task (and electricity-thirsty)

The minimum size I'd like to start with is 32TB. My Plex library is 6TB and growing constantly but the big storage problem is the GoPro footage. I run get about 500GB of raw footage per weekend which is then edited and uploaded to YT. So far I have just over 8TB of data in total.

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @4.4gHz  Custom H20 Loop - CPU & VRM pair of 360mm rads with Noctua fans  |  ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Formula Water cooling utilized  |  Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200CL16 4x16GB  |  EVGA RTX2080 Super FTW3  |  Seasonic Platinum 1000W  Samsung 840 250GB -  Video Processing \ Export |  Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB - Video Import \ Temp  |  Samsung 970 EVO Pro NVMe 500GB -  Boot |  2x Western Digital Blue 4TB - Storage  |  Thermaltake View 51 Snow

53 minutes ago, SGRacing said:

The minimum size I'd like to start with is 32TB. My Plex library is 6TB and growing constantly but the big storage problem is the GoPro footage. I run get about 500GB of raw footage per weekend which is then edited and uploaded to YT. So far I have just over 8TB of data in total.

TBH, with critical data I wouldn't bother doing it myself.
Have a look at the Synology DS1621+, it's Ryzen-based and far superior to anything your old server can provide.

They has proven itself quite reliable in the past and, well. you won't have to make sure everything stays perfect and in working condition as much as if you ran it yourself.

Though you might also want to take a look at @Den-Fi's DIY nas build if that's more your thing:

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

47 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

TBH, with critical data I wouldn't bother doing it myself.
Have a look at the Synology DS1621+, it's Ryzen-based and far superior to anything your old server can provide.

They has proven itself quite reliable in the past and, well. you won't have to make sure everything stays perfect and in working condition as much as if you ran it yourself.

Though you might also want to take a look at @Den-Fi's DIY nas build if that's more your thing:

I assume synology fixed the fatal power issue? I remember gamers nexus and possibly hardware Canucks both lost all data on synology units.