Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Unused computer resources, games still running at lower frames while uncapped

Go to solution Solved by Chris Pratt,

It smells like a CPU bottleneck, especially since upping the resolution and quality makes the GPU work harder. The harder the GPU is working, the less stress on the CPU.

The CPU utilization there is going to be deceiving as it's a 12 core part with 24 threads. I'd be surprised if that game uses more than 4 cores. It'll schedule the work across the cores, so they'll all get some utilization, but unless work is actually scheduled for more than 4 cores at a time, you're never going to max it out. 4/12 cores is suspiciously close to 30% total utilization.

Pretty much every form of vsync/gsync/nvidia settings have been disabled, but my usage of resources(cpu none of cores maxed out in task manager, overall usage only ~30%, gpu 20%, memory 40% overall) isn't getting much higher, and my frames are very jumpy, between 200-260(from afterburners' riva statistics tuner)

Temps are ~65 for cpu and ~55 gpu avg

Essentially, more fps = faster attack speed in Black Desert Online, and I'm trying to at least get full utilization out of my hardware, or at the very least, consistently the higher end of that frame range, since I don't expect a thousand fps haha

I don't think it's a graphics card limitation, since it's usage increases to ~90% when I switch to 1440p max settings from 1080p lowest, so I posted here under cpu mobo memory.

Any help or direction to look into would be greatly appreciated. :)

My build's as follows:

5900x

nzxt aio

32gb 3200mhz

msi x570 tomahawk wifi

3080 gaming x trio

Rm 850x

4 minutes ago, Eclisoul said:

Black Desert Online

3080 gaming x trio

5900x

That game is pretty old (2015) is it possible it's simply not taxing your system all that hard?

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

17 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

That game is pretty old (2015) is it possible it's simply not taxing your system all that hard?

Don't think so, I mean like I said when I raise the graphics settings up it can definitely tax the graphics card, and I'm hoping to get more consistent/ higher fps while on the lower settings since I've got stuff uncapped. Generally people are able to get upwards of 300(that have the hardware) consistently for the class warrior which is somewhat my goal, but even getting 250 consistently would be great as opposed to bouncing around with tons of unused resources

It smells like a CPU bottleneck, especially since upping the resolution and quality makes the GPU work harder. The harder the GPU is working, the less stress on the CPU.

The CPU utilization there is going to be deceiving as it's a 12 core part with 24 threads. I'd be surprised if that game uses more than 4 cores. It'll schedule the work across the cores, so they'll all get some utilization, but unless work is actually scheduled for more than 4 cores at a time, you're never going to max it out. 4/12 cores is suspiciously close to 30% total utilization.

2 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

I see, any way that you know of that I can check this? I'm not familiar with hwinfo but saw something similar on a toms hardware thread that popped up while looking for results of a similar issue that they used hwinfo to deduce

Also, a common way for people to optimize their game is using process lasso / coreprio I believe,  but that normally gets recommended for people that have lower core counts, not more, do you think trying to go down that path could produce better results, or would it just be a matter of working with what I've got

9 minutes ago, Eclisoul said:

I see, any way that you know of that I can check this?

Not really, unfortunately. I'm not an FPS guy. I play mostly AAA titles at high fidelity, so I'm happy with getting 60. Never needed to do this kind of investigation/optimization.