Forza Horizon 4 on Ryzen 7 Pro 4750G

Go to solution Solved by Jetz7,

Hi all 

I know its been a seriously long time. 

So it turned out the corsair kit I had was bad. I ran the Windows memory diagnostic tool an it showed no errors. 

Then decided to run MemTest86, The test failed and stopped on its own after about 30 minutes. The memory kit returned over 10 000 errors in that short time.

RMA'd the old kit, received the new one. Ran MemTest86 again and it passed with flying colours (took about 6hrs and 30 mins).

However, when I tried to game the system would still crash with LiveKernelEvent 114, 141, 117, and 144  errors. 

Decided to update the BIOS from F10 to F12 (latest stable release) and the issue seems resolved. Running ETS2 at 60FPS, FH4 at approx 60FPS and without any crashes whatsoever.

So it seems the BIOS update fixed the issues. 

Thanks all for the other recommendations.

Hi everyone

Hoping someone can help me here. I got the AMD Ryzen7 Pro 4750G, with 32GB 3200MHz RAM (OC'd from 3000MHz), all runs fairly ok. I have it set to dynamic graphics (or whatever that setting is), it defaults me to 1280x720 at locked 30fps on a very low preset with short motion blur. The game is running on my adata nvme so there should be no bandwidth issues there. Temperatures do not exceed 60C, I am not sure if there is a limit set in the BIOS or not.

I have tried this preset as it is, game runs fine while I am driving around, but the moment I go to start the first event of the game(the one after the opening seasons' race) it crashes. Farthest I have got is the race starting but crashing on the "GO!" screen. It crashes in a weird way also, sound stays on so I can hear cars, obviously not as they drive, but the screen goes black. Sometimes the screen will flash to a grey "static-like" screen and then go black. In both cases, the only way to get out is a restart of the system.
This is the Steam version of the game All drivers and updates are present. Windows 10 Pro 20H2 with the most current KB5001330 and KB4023057 updates (15 April 2021). I only got the game on the 16th so not sure if it would run well without these updates or not.

I have read around, there is no monitoring app or on-screen monitoring app like MSI afterburner running in the background.
I have even cleared it from my Bitdefender antivirus, there are no other background apps running.

I know my specs technically do not meet the requirements for the game, but I have seen videos of FH4 running on this APU with lesser specs in some cases. Also there was no option of a GPU with the current situation around the world.
The system specs are:
CPU: Ryzen 7 Pro 4750G (8c/16t)
GPU: Integrated
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000MHz (OC'd to 3200MHz)
PSU: SuperFlower 550W 80+ Platinum
NVME SSD: Adata Swordfish
This system as it is cost approximately $1300, so a dGPU was simply not possible in my budget.

For example:
Now I know just looking at a videos does not give the full story, but I have seen it in multiple cases where 1080p on low is possible.
ETA Prime(Youtube channel) has shown this on 2 or 3 of his 4750G builds.

Also, I have not tried any other game yet, was soo excited to try and play FH4 at even 1080p low, but these crashes are ruining it for me.

Can someone please help me with this, is it a RAM issue?
Do I have to change the UMA buffer size in the BIOS so Forza does not freak out?

Please, please, please any help will be really appreciated.

Thank you

Does anyone have any idea?

I've been looking around as well, next I will try to backup and then re-install the game. Simply because it is too large to download again(≈90GB). 

Perhaps it is a page file issue, I've noticed the cashed memory on task manager get larger everytime I start the game. 

Well to me it looks like a memory problem. Populating all four slots and OC-ing the memory or using XMP is known to cause all sorts of mishaps even without throwing in a GPU to work with. How much UMA buffer you have? For 720p 4Gigs should be enough since 1080p only recently started exceeding it. Try to set the UMA size in bios at 4GB and then match the infinity fabric speed to the memory (3200MHz memory clock speed equals 1600MHz Infinity fabric. 3000MHz=1500MHz and so on). If the problem persists remove 2 sticks of memory and try only 2x8GB configuration with again manually set UMA buffer and also try enablng/disabling XMP. In order to take full advantage of the APU though you need 4200MHz+ RAM. 

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

10 hours ago, QuantumSingularity said:

Well to me it looks like a memory problem. Populating all four slots and OC-ing the memory or using XMP is known to cause all sorts of mishaps even without throwing in a GPU to work with. How much UMA buffer you have? For 720p 4Gigs should be enough since 1080p only recently started exceeding it. Try to set the UMA size in bios at 4GB and then match the infinity fabric speed to the memory (3200MHz memory clock speed equals 1600MHz Infinity fabric. 3000MHz=1500MHz and so on). If the problem persists remove 2 sticks of memory and try only 2x8GB configuration with again manually set UMA buffer and also try enablng/disabling XMP. In order to take full advantage of the APU though you need 4200MHz+ RAM. 

Thanks for reaching out. 

Right now the UMA buffer size is set to auto on my Gigabyte Aorus B550M Pro-P, for whatever reason every time I try changing the UMA buffer size, it does not save the setting despite me trying it numerous times. Not sure if there is another setting I have to disable or something.

Will 4GB UMA not exceed my RAM limitations, I only have 32GB, so I thought 1GB UMA= 8GB VRAM, and 2GB UMA = 16GB VRAM, hence, 4GB would take all my 32GB.

So as it stands in task manager my dedicated GPU memory is 512MB. I have tried changing the UMA buffer size to 1GB and 2GB, but the settings do not save. 

Then separately it shows GPU memory as 16.2 GB, and shared GPU memory as 15.7 GB.

As it is with the XMP and OC to 3200MHz, the infinity fabric (memory clock)is at 1600MHz, with core clock at the stock 2100MHz. 

Let me first try the backup and re-install see how it goes.

What is this motherboard? UMA buffer size is the system memory that is reserved for the APU to use as VRAM. 4Gigs is 4 gigs. You should have setting spanning al the way down to 16GB (half of your total system memory). If it goes back to whatever value it wants, then either you forgot some setting somewhere on Auto or you have another problem. Check for new BIOS version for that motherboard on the manufacturer's site. Back in the beginning of the year a lot of them had a BIOS update, concerning memory stability.

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

4 hours ago, QuantumSingularity said:

What is this motherboard? UMA buffer size is the system memory that is reserved for the APU to use as VRAM. 4Gigs is 4 gigs. You should have setting spanning al the way down to 16GB (half of your total system memory). If it goes back to whatever you value it wants, then either you forgot some setting somewhere on Auto or you have another problem. Check for new BIOS version for that motherboard on the manufacturer's site. Back in the beginning of the year a lot of them had a BIOS update, concerning memory stability.

It is a Gigabyte Aorus B550M Pro-P.  No worries on that UMA buffer. It's amazing what reading the motherboard manual will do for you 😅

I had to switch Integrated graphics to Forced, then set UMA mode to UMA_specified and then I changed the UMA buffer to 8GB. 

(Side note: the description for UMA I gave in the previous reply was how I thought UMA worked, nevermind though that solution has been found) 

Tried running the game, in auto-detect it put me on 1080P ultra which is too much for this APU. So I set it to 1080P low with no motion blur, ran the in-game benchmark and it was giving close to 60fps with about 80-90% GPU  utilisation.  30 Seconds into the benchmark it crashed the way I described, first freezing, then black screen, then flash to static(grey) screen and then back to black screen.  All the while the game audio for the song at least is still playing in the background. 

I force restarted the machine, because I had no option. I have since backed uo the game and uninstalled it from my PC. 

Have read reports on the new windows update KB5001330 giving game stutters and crashes. I have now uninstalled that windows update , and will soon re-install FH4 and see if there is amy improvement. 

Will keep you posted. 

If the problem persists try with 2 sticks of memory seated in the 2nd and 4th slot counting left to right. You could also try Furmark and check if that freeze will happen there.

On 4/22/2021 at 8:00 PM, QuantumSingularity said:

If the problem persists try with 2 sticks of memory seated in the 2nd and 4th slot counting left to right. You could also try Furmark and check if that freeze will happen there.

Hi 

Apologies in the delay in responding. I since reinstalled Windows 10 Pro completely with a factory install of a fresh iso. 

All I have installed are some of my essential work apps and nothing else, PC is fully up to date, no Radeon software at all but drivers are up to date.

I set the RAM speed back to the stock 2133MHz with no XMP, ran sfc /scannow fixed errors the first time, since then no errors have been found.

I then tried playing Euro Truck Simulator 2, figured the APU should be able to handle a game that old without much issue. Set it to 1080p High, was working fine until it crashed.

Checked the Reliability history in Control panel and this is what I get. These all occur at 23:25 (basically seconds from each other and then at 23:26 ETS2 crashes)

Source
Windows

Summary
Hardware error

Date
‎2021/‎04/‎25 23:25

Status
Not reported

Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:    LiveKernelEvent
Code:    141
Parameter 1:    ffff800c889f2460
Parameter 2:    fffff8078f4d5230
Parameter 3:    0
Parameter 4:    c7c
OS version:    10_0_19042
Service Pack:    0_0
Product:    256_1
OS Version:    10.0.19042.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID:    7177

Source
Windows

Summary
Hardware error

Date

Status
Not reported

Description

Problem signature
Code:    117
Parameter 1:    ffff800c8f1d9050
Parameter 4:    0

Source
Windows

Summary
Hardware error

Date

Status
Not reported

Description

Problem signature
Code:    141
Parameter 1:    ffff800c7b273060
Parameter 4:    2608

Basically LiveKernalEvent 141, 117 and then 141 again(all in seconds from each other) and then ETS2 crashes.

In this case APU settings were also on default so UMA buffer size at 512MB(as shown in Task manager for Dedicated GPU Memory).

I have since run sfc /scannow again and there are no violations.

The RAM is rated for 3000MHz so I am not sure if should set the clock to that or not, for now I am running at the base 2133MHz.

I will try Furmark today. 

Update:

Ran Furmark at 1080p with 2xMSAA, with RAM at 3000MHz and XMP enabled. 

UMA buffer set to 4GB.

Same errors occur as in the message above. LiveKernalEvent 141, 117 and then 141 again all in a matter of seconds. 

Next I will down clock the RAM back 2133 and run. 

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I can tell the VRAM on these chips is fixed at 512MB and cannot be increased.  If this is so then it wastes so much potential.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all 

I know its been a seriously long time. 

So it turned out the corsair kit I had was bad. I ran the Windows memory diagnostic tool an it showed no errors. 

Then decided to run MemTest86, The test failed and stopped on its own after about 30 minutes. The memory kit returned over 10 000 errors in that short time.

RMA'd the old kit, received the new one. Ran MemTest86 again and it passed with flying colours (took about 6hrs and 30 mins).

However, when I tried to game the system would still crash with LiveKernelEvent 114, 141, 117, and 144  errors. 

Decided to update the BIOS from F10 to F12 (latest stable release) and the issue seems resolved. Running ETS2 at 60FPS, FH4 at approx 60FPS and without any crashes whatsoever.

So it seems the BIOS update fixed the issues. 

Thanks all for the other recommendations.