Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My PC shut down in middle of a game and won't boot anymore...

I bpught a cheap optiplex 7010 sff with an i7 3773 (because budgets suck) and slammed an 1050 ti in there... Worked perfectly for months. Until yesterday. It just shut down while playing and never turbs on again.

 

NOW i have done multiple things to determine what the problems are. What I think the problem is that my cpu suddenly died. Checked some thread on Tom's hardware forum, helped nothing. So what I did to determie this is: Reseat and repkace Ram, Changed the motherboard (random one I had lying around), putting a diff graphics card, Changing the ssd with a different ssd and different hdd... Done it all.

 

but what caught my attention is that it worked when i change the Cpu... Half... It get to the HP logo thingy before the bios (on the spare mobo) but nothing on the Dell one... I still think its a dead Cpu but ind like some help as i'm fairly new to this stuff... 

 

Ignore typos, made it on phone for obvious reasons. 

 

Thndanks in advance tho. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, durg.exe said:

I bpught a cheap optiplex 7010 sff with a a a an i7 3773 (because budgets suck) and slammed an 1050 ti in there... Worked perfectly for months. Until yesterday. It just shut down while playing and never turbs on again.

 

NOW i have done multiple things to determine what the problems are. What I think the problem is that my cpu suddenly died. Checked some thread on Tom's hardware forum, helped nothing. So what I did to determie this is: Reseat and repkace Ram, Changed the motherboard (random one I had lying around), putting a diff graphics card, Changing the ssd with a different ssd and different hdd... Done it all.

 

but what caught my attention is that it worked when i change the Cpu... Half... It get to the HP logo thingy before the bios (on the spare mobo) but nothing on the Dell one... I still think its a dead Cpu but ind like some help as i'm fairly new to this stuff... 

 

Ignore typos, made it on phone for obvious reasons. 

 

Thndanks in advance tho. 

Can you boot with the 2nd motherboard?

NOT A PROFESSIONAL, just a tech nerd. I am a human and can be incorrect. dont forget to quote me and put full specs in troubleshooting posts

Main Setup (all prices in USD since its pretty widespread and well known)    PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 1400 CPU - $85, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue CPU Cooler - $25, Biostar B450MH AM4 Motherboard - $65, Timetec 16GB (2x8) 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 RAM - $60, Adata SU650 240GB M.2 SSD - $30, WD Caviar Blue 250GB 7200RPM HDD - $20, Seagate Barracuda  320GB 7200RPM HDD - $20, MSI Aero Nvidia GTX 1060 3GB GPU - $200, Cougar MG130G Micro-ATX Case - $50, Aresgame AGK750 Fully Modular 80+ Gold PSU - $90, HP 22EB 21.5" 1080P 60Hz Monitor - $100, Samsung 21.5" 2S22E450D 1080P 60Hz Monitor - $90, Sceptre E205-W 19.5" 1600-3R 900P 75Hz Monitor - $70, GK73X Hot-Swappable Mechanical Keyboard (Gateron Red Switches) - $70, HK Gaming Dye Sub Chalk Keycaps - $40, Steelseries Rival 3 Mouse - $30, Aresgame RGB Mouse Pad - Came with bundle, Random XXL Amazon Mouse Pad - $10, Widesen USB Condenser Mic - $20, Gertisan Mic Arm - $12 (adapter needed, + $4), OneOdio Over Ear Headphones - $33, Cooler Master SickleFlow 120MM Blue Fan - $10, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal Fan 2 Pack - $45, Cougar 120MM Case Fan - Included with MG 130G

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

 

Rack Project PC (1)

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-2400 CPU - $25, Vetroo L5 CPU Cooler - $30, Dell Optiplex 390 LGA 1155 Motherboard - $15, G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB (2x8) 1866MHz CL10 DDR3 RAM  - $50, Leven 120GB 2.5" SSD - $22, MSI Aero Nvidia GTX 1050 TI 4GB - $150, Segotep GP 600W Non-Modular 80+ Gold PSU - $52, Tecware Spectre RGB Pro Mechanical Keyboard (Outemu Brown Switches) - $70, Pictek T16 Mouse - $23

Rack Project PC (2)

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-2400 CPU - $25, Enermax ETS-N31 CPU Cooler - $25, Dell Optiplex 390 LGA 1155 Motherboard - $15, 8GB (2x4) Hynix 1600MHz CL11 DDR3 RAM - $30, Leven 120GB 2.5" SSD - $22, Intel HD 2000 Graphics - Integrated into CPU, Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 600W Non-Modular 80+ PSU - $50, HP Office Keyboard - $5, Havit Mouse - $10

 "I had the parts lying around" PC

Spoiler

AMD A8-4555M CPU, "Stock" Cooler, Coinmine ITX Motherboard - ($Total of 3=$35), 8GB (2x4) Hynix 1333MHz CLsomething DDR3 SODIMM RAM - $22, HP 120GB 2.5" SSD - $203, AMD Radeon 7600G Graphics - Integrated into CPU, EVGA N1 400W Non-Modular PSU - $40, InWin 303 (Yes, I know its a ridiculously expensive and high end case for this type of build. I got one for free and had it lying around.) - $90, Thermaltake Riing 120MM Blue Fan (x3) - $17 Each, Cooler Master 120MM Case Fan - $10, Redragon S107 Keyboard + Mouse + Mouse Pad - $37

Other parts I have lying around

Spoiler

3 Dell Optiplex Stock Coolers (1 broken), Cooler Master T2 Cooler, Intel Stock Cooler, Replace Power 420W PSU, Broken FX-8350, Broken Asrock 970 Motherboard, 2x4GB DDR3 RAM 1333MHz, a Dell Office KB, a bunch of office mice

Dell Inspiron 15-3575 Laptop

Spoiler

Intel Celeron N4000 CPU, 4GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Activated 64 Bit, 500GB HDD, Intel UHD 600 Graphics

Gateway Vintage Laptop from 2006 probably

Spoiler

Intel Core 2 Duo T5500, 3GB RAM, Windows Vista Home Premium Activated 32 Bit, 250GB HDD, Intel 965 Graphics

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, davemc said:

Can you boot with the 2nd motherboard?

Nope only the logo befire bios. Also only with the other cpu

Link to post
Share on other sites

Like it gets stuck there beeping every two mins

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, durg.exe said:

I bpught a cheap optiplex 7010 sff with a a a an i7 3773 (because budgets suck) and slammed an 1050 ti in there... Worked perfectly for months. Until yesterday. It just shut down while playing and never turbs on again. NOW i have done multiple things to determine what the problems are. What I think the problem is that my cpu suddenly died. Checked some thread on Tom's hardware forum, helped nothing. So what I did to determie this is: Reseat and repkace Ram, Chn

If the RAM was bad you would here beeping noised on a DELL machine that old, same goes for the CPU and GPU. 

Take the side panel off, if the cpu fan isn't moving when turning the system on, not even a little bit, then you have a power delivery issue. You could try replacing the PSU. You won't need more than a 250 or 300 W SFF unit. Those are not that expensive. You can also use a ATX PSU to test with but it will not fit inside the case, if you don't care about having one externally, you can surely do that long term as well if you like.

I doubt you would have killed the cpu, not unless it ran too hot over an extended period of time or sudden power surge in your home. There is a chance the motherboard died but again, on it's own, not very likely. You can try unplugging the power cord from the back of the pc and removing the CMOS battery. Then hitting the power button a couple of times before putting it back in and inserting the power plug into the pc. Probably won't work but worth a try.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Applefreak said:

If the RAM was bad you would here beeping noised on a DELL machine that old, same goes for the CPU and GPU. 

Take the side panel off, if the cpu fan isn't moving when turning the system on, not even a little bit, then you have a power delivery issue. You could try replacing the PSU. You won't need more than a 250 or 300 W SFF unit. Those are not that expensive. You can also use a ATX PSU to test with but it will not fit inside the case, if you don't care about having one externally, you can surely do that long term as well if you like.

I doubt you would have killed the cpu, not unless it ran too hot over an extended period of time or sudden power surge in your home. There is a chance the motherboard died but again, on it's own, not very likely. You can try unplugging the power cord from the back of the pc and removing the CMOS battery. Then hitting the power button a couple of times before putting it back in and inserting the power plug into the pc. Probably won't work but worth a try.

I'll recheck everything tomorrow (1am here) thanks so much tho! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

In my experience, CPUs don't die, unless you really run them out of spec. And even then, they normally don't die. Unless you're overvolting them like crazy. The only dead CPU I've ever seen is the one I killed by drilling a hole in it and using it as a key chain. It was a Core 2 Duo anyway, and not even a high end one. Those things are basically worthless. And those AMD CPUs back in the day could kill themselves because they didn't have temperature sensors. There was no thermal throttling. But that's also way back. 

 

I'd be more suspicious of the motherboard. But you've already replaced it. So that's also extremely unlikely. Maybe both boards have an empty CMOS battery. Next on my list would be the PSU. It probably couldn't quite handle an i7 and a 1050ti.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Geneslaw said:

In my experience, CPUs don't die, unless you really run them out of spec. And even then, they normally don't die. Unless you're overvolting them like crazy. The only dead CPU I've ever seen is the one I killed by drilling a hole in it and using it as a key chain. It was a Core 2 Duo anyway, and not even a high end one. Those things are basically worthless. And those AMD CPUs back in the day could kill themselves because they didn't have temperature sensors. There was no thermal throttling. But that's also way back. 

 

I'd be more suspicious of the motherboard. But you've already replaced it. So that's also extremely unlikely. Maybe both boards have an empty CMOS battery. Next on my list would be the PSU. It probably couldn't quite handle an i7 and a 1050ti.

I checked, i had a spare 500w psu and pkugged it in but it still didn't work. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×