Help! got new thermal paste yesterday (and I got it back today)on my 2011 Dell XPS 17 L702x. And the thermals are going crazy

Justagaming
Go to solution Solved by Applefreak,
2 minutes ago, Justagaming said:

IMG_20210419_154104_6.jpg

IMG_20210419_154039_6.jpg

What do you mean by crazy, those are normal temps on a laptop under load. What do you mean by you got new thermal paste?

IMG_20210419_154104_6.jpg

IMG_20210419_154039_6.jpg

What do you mean by crazy, those are normal temps on a laptop under load. What do you mean by you got new thermal paste?

3 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

I got new thermal paste for the CPU and GPU. my dad did it and it was running fine until I just turned it on. also this is from a fresh startup not under load

under load rn is 94c. (also on the first restart it BOSD'd on me)

Just now, Applefreak said:

agreed im guessing a very old laptops fans are probably running slower then when it was new 10 years ago. id expect even with new thermal paste for those to be normal temps. id suggest using a fan controller app and increasing the fan speeds

2 minutes ago, AnUnQuietMind said:

agreed im guessing a very old laptops fans are probably running slower then when it was new 10 years ago. id expect even with new thermal paste for those to be normal temps. id suggest using a fan controller app and increasing the fan speeds

evga is running them at 100 percent keep in mind. (no matter the temps since I just adjusted it) and it was completely cleaned out with good airflow underneath (Uses a battery that elevates it for good airflow under. and my desk has airflow holes in it)

1 minute ago, Justagaming said:

evga is running them at 100 percent keep in mind. (no matter the temps since I just adjusted it)

what about the cpu fan? most laptops share heatpipes and fans for cooling the cpu and gpu with one fan rarely you will find seperate fans for graphics and cpu

1 minute ago, AnUnQuietMind said:

what about the cpu fan? most laptops share heatpipes and fans for cooling the cpu and gpu with one fan rarely you will find seperate fans for graphics and cpu

They use the same fans and heatpipe. and I'd like to say It was crashing trying to open chrome. and yes it was checked and cleaned out

1 minute ago, Justagaming said:

evga is running them at 100 percent keep in mind. (no matter the temps since I just adjusted it)

A couple of things to check: Is the new thermal paste making good contact, are the screws that hold the heatsink down tight enough, did you use new thermal compound (old stuff looses performance over time, limited shelf life once opened), any chance the second fan cable is unplugged?

4 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

A couple of things to check: Is the new thermal paste making good contact, are the screws that hold the heatsink down tight enough, did you use new thermal compound (old stuff looses performance over time, limited shelf life once opened), any chance the second fan cable is unplugged?

My dad had just ordered the paste brand new. I have no idea if so but he says it could be fluctuation for now. and the fans are just keeping it under 65 right now. and the reason I wasn't having it at full blast all the time was before I burned out the fans and had to replace them (I am also a dumb 11 year old with limited knowledge trying to fix this as it panicked me being it's my dad's laptop)

here is a video from 2015 for your exact laptop, apparently it was famouse for overheating and i took a photo highlighting that yes there is a single fan to cool the cpu and gpu.

laptop.jpg

I just asked him and he said that he made sure that everything was in place. (Keep in mind he's done similar things like this for 20 years nearly with fixing things)

I just asked him and he said that he made sure that everything was in place. (Keep in mind he's done similar things like this for 20 years nearly with fixing things)

the point im making is that when newer titles than what was around in 2011 are being used more cpu cores are used and more gpu % is used. with the GPU AND CPU BOTH being cooled with a single radiator that the copper heat pipes run through being cooled by a single fan the temps your listing are normal

8 minutes ago, AnUnQuietMind said:

the point im making is that when newer titles than what was around in 2011 are being used more cpu cores are used and more gpu % is used. with the GPU AND CPU BOTH being cooled with a single radiator that the copper heat pipes run through being cooled by a single fan the temps your listing are normal

Just restarted it and it hit 87. 😕 He said maybe he didn't tighten it enough. also I really am stupid because he's my godfather not father/dad lol. He said he'll have to check it again since the GPU is running nice and ice cold. and it feels cool so my godfather said it may be false readings. if so should I reinstall the programs to see if anything changes?

5 hours ago, Justagaming said:

Just ran userbencmark! and my cpu is nearly 20% slower! I am also forced to make sure that the cpu doesn't throttle and make sure it can't shut itself down on it's own! he also just told me capacitors were bulging a small bit.