Ryzen 9 x5950 Purschase opinion

Go to solution Solved by Analog,
2 minutes ago, Kique_Centeno said:

Hi everyone, I hope you're doing very fine.

It's been 5 years since I bought a Ryzen 7 1700x, years went so fast and now I see I'm 2 generations old away. I saw this Ryzen 9 x5950, just perfect for my main work.

My motherboard is as old as my cpu, which is a ROG VI HERO AM4 Socket so is still compatible (very impressive for me) and I've seen Ryzen9 running in this motherboard. Also I know it has a disadvantage because of the lack of PCIE 4.0 ports. I'm just attracted by the cores. But besides that, I'd really like to upgrade and use it with my VI Hero.

Would you recomed to go for it?

what do you think would be a better option?

I don't really wanna spend more money in a huge-brand-new-beautiful-tuff motherboard just to use it some years since DDR5 is just around the corner.

Also, which semi-cheap motherboard PCIE 4.0 AM4  would you recommend?

Thank you for your time

Cheers, Enrique

I am not sure your board is compatible with the 5950X. I have a Crosshair VI Extreme and it is not compatible either. This is the CPU support for your board. 

It's been 5 years since I bought a Ryzen 7 1700x, years went so fast and now I see I'm 2 generations old away. I saw this Ryzen 9 x5950, just perfect for my main work.

My motherboard is as old as my cpu, which is a ROG VI HERO AM4 Socket so is still compatible (very impressive for me) and I've seen Ryzen9 running in this motherboard. Also I know it has a disadvantage because of the lack of PCIE 4.0 ports. I'm just attracted by the cores. But besides that, I'd really like to upgrade and use it with my VI Hero.

I don't really wanna spend more money in a huge-brand-new-beautiful-tuff motherboard just to use it some years since DDR5 is just around the corner.

Thank you for your time

Cheers, Enrique

2 minutes ago, Kique_Centeno said:

Thank you for your time

Cheers, Enrique

I am not sure your board is compatible with the 5950X. I have a Crosshair VI Extreme and it is not compatible either. This is the CPU support for your board. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

The 5950x came out 6 months ago. We'll have Zen 4 within 6 more months, probably. I'm in a similar boat to you, I'm running a 6700k and I had been planning to upgrade to a zen3 chip when they came out. Well, 6 months of being 'out of stock' and generally inflated prices have me realizing that by the time prices and availability are more sane...zen4 will be out. So, personally, I'm waiting for that. DDR5 baby! (my system is so old my DDR-2400 was considered 'prosumer' at the time I bought it >.<)

If my system breaks in the meantime, sure, I'd roll zen3, but so long as it keeps on trucking, I'll wait for zen4.

11 minutes ago, asquirrel said:

Well, 6 months of being 'out of stock' and generally inflated prices have me realizing that by the time prices and availability are more sane...zen4 will be out.

Stock is recovering faster than you think. So are prices. At least here in the uk they are. One of the main vendors for computer equipment in the uk, overclockers.uk, recently got a large shipment of zen 3 cpu's. Thousands of them. The prices, although still not perfect, are a lot more sane than the scalpers prices.

Noname1.jpg.4bf2355ee0ebd18d330f5ecaab24b710.jpg

41 minutes ago, Kique_Centeno said:

ROG VI HERO

That motherboard won't run Ryzen 5000. Nothing you can do about it.

41 minutes ago, Kique_Centeno said:

which semi-cheap motherboard PCIE 4.0 AM4  would you recommend?

B550 steel legend.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

34 minutes ago, Digideath said:

Stock is recovering faster than you think. So are prices. At least here in the uk they are. One of the main vendors for computer equipment in the uk, overclockers.uk, recently got a large shipment of zen 3 cpu's. Thousands of them. The prices, although still not perfect, are a lot more sane than the scalpers prices.

Noname1.jpg.4bf2355ee0ebd18d330f5ecaab24b710.jpg

I know things are getting better, but the prices of RAM, motherboards, power supplies, etc, are all inflated over what they 'should' be. I don't need a system right now, I just want one. Mine still works. And when the prices are inflated, I don't have an active need, and there's new tech closer than it is far away...time solves more than one of these problems, so waiting is viable unless my current hardware breaks. Six months after release you'd normally see a $50-100 price drop *below* msrp. In normal years.

On 4/19/2021 at 1:33 PM, Analog said:

You're totally right, I think I got confused with the 3950X, so many numbers, my bad