Choosing a cooler, need help! (Please)

JumpinJackz

Hello, I am pretty new and this is my first PC build. Even though its my first, I do somewhat know what I’m doing. The only problem is I’m not sure what CPU cooler I should use. I am choosing between two right now, and I think they are both pretty good, but I don’t surely know yet. Also, I am choosing between two motherboards, but I don’t think they matter. Here ate the important specs:

Lian o11 Dynamic (medium)

RTX 3080

Ryzen 7 5800x

Asus ROG VIII hero or Asus strix B550 GAMING

So, does anyone have any idea which cooler I should go with?

(Also, if anyone knows it would be great if someone could tell me which motherboard to get, thanks)

Noctua D15 Chromax Black. Best cooler (pretty much) ever made. Rocking one now and never had an issue 🙂

R U L E  # 1   A b o u t   M e:   I   u s u a l l y   g i v e   D U M B   a d v i c e   a n d   y o u   s h o u l d   n o t   l i s t e n   t o  m e.

Kind of unrelated but I hope you have a graphics card to run the sytem until 3080s are in stock, you do not have integrated graphics.

btw double unrelated but @birdflyeryou know there is already dark mode on ltt forums?

10 minutes ago, JumpinJackz said:

Hello, I am pretty new and this is my first PC build. Even though its my first, I do somewhat know what I’m doing. The only problem is I’m not sure what CPU cooler I should use. I am choosing between two right now, and I think they are both pretty good, but I don’t surely know yet. Also, I am choosing between two motherboards, but I don’t think they matter. Here ate the important specs:

RTX 3080

Ryzen 7 5800x

(Also, if anyone knows it would be great if someone could tell me which motherboard to get, thanks)

Noctua NH D15 for cooler

Rog Strix B550 is likely more than adequate for your needs as the 8 Hero is Overkill for 99% of people

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, curiousmind34 said:

btw double unrelated but @birdflyeryou know there is already dark mode on ltt forums?

Did you try clicking on the link? 😀

R U L E  # 1   A b o u t   M e:   I   u s u a l l y   g i v e   D U M B   a d v i c e   a n d   y o u   s h o u l d   n o t   l i s t e n   t o  m e.

1 minute ago, birdflyer said:

Did you try clicking on the link? 😀

I hovered over it and saw this in the bottom left

image.png.1ac2566be7df48b0934d39175e01d5bd.png

3 minutes ago, davemc said:

Rog Strix B550 is likely more than adequate for your needs as the 8 Hero is Overkill for 99% of people

Although I agree, I would argue that an X470 board would be cheaper (in most cases) and with sometimes a better feature set. Although you would have to install the bios update to enable ryzen 5000 series support.

1 minute ago, curiousmind34 said:

I hovered over it and saw this in the bottom left

image.png.1ac2566be7df48b0934d39175e01d5bd.png

It's just for Rick-Rolling people LOL

22 minutes ago, JumpinJackz said:

RTX 3080

Ryzen 7 5800x

Which coolers are you looking at?

A decent B550 board is all you'd need with a 5800X. Check out Hardware Unboxed and Actually Hardware Overclocking (Buildzoid) for great breakdowns of which boards to look at and which CPUs to pair them with. The ROG Hero is basically overkill for 99% of e-peeners, and IIRC the BX50 Strix lines tend to be pricey for feature sets that aren't really much better than cheaper options from the likes of MSI, AsRock and Gigabyte. For example, in the B450 line, no one bothered to make a board as good as MSI's B450 Tomahawk, but they sure as hell made more expensive ones.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

3 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Which coolers are you looking at?

A decent B550 board is all you'd need with a 5800X. Check out Hardware Unboxed and Actually Hardware Overclocking (Buildzoid) for great breakdowns of which boards to look at and which CPUs to pair them with. The ROG Hero is basically overkill for 99% of e-peeners, and IIRC the BX50 Strix lines tend to be pricey for feature sets that aren't really much better than cheaper options from the likes of MSI, AsRock and Gigabyte. For example, in the B450 line, no one bothered to make a board as good as MSI's B450 Tomahawk, but they sure as hell made more expensive ones.

Thank you for the help!

Prove me wrong but i think there is some kind of air cooler ranking here. I must say i like be quiet! using a shadow rock rn 4 heatpipes, 1 fan and its absolutely silent at idle and only needs to ramp up to maybe 900 rpm under load on my i7-9700F. So i would say since it seems like u can afford it because u have a 3080 in mind in those times i'd say look into the dark rock Pro 4 and Nh-D15 from noctua. Both have great reviews tho the noctua is more expensive 

Ping me or quote me in replys ples. Anyone talking about AiOs and trashing people for a front mount watch THIS JAYZTWOCENTS VID because u 99.9% skipped or didnt understand the Gamers Nexus vid...

Spoiler

Also pineapple doesnt go on pizza