Will this work? (Corsair QL fans question)

lerodemmy

I want to use 10 Corsair QL 120 fans.  I want to put three of them on the H150i Elite Capellix radiator, and then have seven case fans.  Can I do this with a Commander Core and a Commander Pro?  I don't want to use fan splitters.

CPUIntel Core i9-14900K I GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming I MotherboardAsus ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming I RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB I SSDSamsung 980 Pro 2TB I PSUCorsair RM1000x (2021) I Cooler: Corsair iCUE Link H150i I CaseCorsair 5000D Airflow I FansCorsair QX120 x10 Cables: Corsair Premium Individually Sleeved Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB I MouseCorsair Nightsabre Wireless Mouse Pad: Asus ROG Sheath Monitor: Aorus FV43U 

To be sure, you're talking about the Commander Pro, not the Node Core, right?

Corsair RGB fans have two cables:

- RGB cable (for the lighting)

- PWM cable (to make them spin/control speed)

The Commander Core has:

- 6x RGB

- 6x PWM

- Connector for AIO pump

and connects with:

- USB 2.0

- SATA power

The Commander Pro has:

- 6x PWM

- 2x connector for RGB LED Fan Hub (not the same as Node Core)

- 2x Internal USB connector

and connects with:

- USB 2.0

- SATA power

The QL120 3-packs come with
- 3 fans

- Node Core

What you do to connect them is:

mn0MDS4l.png

This with the AIO, and 4-6 fans

You connect the SATA power to your PSU and connect the USB connector to either your motherboard or the Commander Pro setup listed below.

Then with the Commander Pro you do this:

image.png.695ec61479105fdecf53634e3d9eee32.png

(That controller the fans connect to is a single Node Core, that comes with a 3-pack of QL fans. Image shows LL fans, but that is just because I was too lazy to edit QL fans in 😉)

Notes:

- You have 10 fans, so either you do 4 fans on one, 6 fans on another controller, or 5-5 distribution

- Connect the fans to the controllers in the numbered way, so start with 1 for the first fan

- The above notes are applicable to RGB and PWM

- Your motherboard has two USB 2.0 front panel headers. You have three controllers that need USB 2.0 (Commander Pro, Commander Core, Node Core). The Commander Pro has one USB 2.0 out, two USB 2.0 in, so you can choose to wire both other controllers to it, or just one of them

The Corsair fan diagrams I got from here: https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880 (the first picture I shared is directly from there, the second picture I edited to account for your situation).

Please let me know if anything is unclear!

Edited by minibois
First picture didn't embed for some reason

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

11 minutes ago, minibois said:

To be sure, you're talking about the Commander Pro, not the Node Core, right?

Please let me know if anything is unclear!

Awesome.  Thank you!

Yes, I was talking about the Commander Pro.  I imagine I'll have some questions when I begin today or tomorrow.  I'll certainly look to you.  Thanks again!

CPUIntel Core i9-14900K I GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming I MotherboardAsus ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming I RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB I SSDSamsung 980 Pro 2TB I PSUCorsair RM1000x (2021) I Cooler: Corsair iCUE Link H150i I CaseCorsair 5000D Airflow I FansCorsair QX120 x10 Cables: Corsair Premium Individually Sleeved Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB I MouseCorsair Nightsabre Wireless Mouse Pad: Asus ROG Sheath Monitor: Aorus FV43U 

On 4/19/2021 at 12:04 PM, minibois said:

The Commander Pro has:

- 6x PWM

- 2x connector for RGB LED Fan Hub (not the same as Node Core)

So I can connect the USB from the RGB LED Fan Hub to the Commander Pro, and also the USB from the Commander Core to the Commander Pro?

Does this mean I can’t connect the Node Core USB to the Commander Pro?  If so, is the Node Core essentially useless to me?  I have an RGB LED Fan Hub, but I don’t have it with me and I’d prefer to avoid going to get it if I can.

Long story short, I’d prefer to connect a Node Core USB to the Commander Pro instead of connecting the RGB LED Fan Hub to the Commander Pro, if possible.

I just found this.  Hopefully it means I don’t need the RGB LED Fan Hub.

2D7A6E29-97C6-4C54-9A6F-24D404E86C00.jpeg

20 minutes ago, lerodemmy said:

Long story short, I’d prefer to connect a Node Core USB to the Commander Pro instead of connecting the RGB LED Fan Hub to the Commander Pro, if possible.

Yeah, you can do that.

The Commander Pro has two USB 2.0 internal headers, so you can connect your Nose Core to it

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

13 minutes ago, minibois said:

Yeah, you can do that.

The Commander Pro has two USB 2.0 internal headers, so you can connect your Nose Core to it

Well, it worked.  As you can see, it’s breathtaking.

I don’t think it would’ve been so easy without your post.  Thank you very much.  Though I expect to have many more questions, so without further ado:

iCUE is really confusing me now.  For one thing, the Commander Core doesn’t show up.  The Commander Pro and Node Core show up.  I’m assuming this has something to do with the CP overriding the CC.  But if you know how to make the CC show up, please enlighten me.

Also, the Node Core is showing six fans connected to it in iCUE, but there are only four. On startup and until iCUE opens, those four fans have a different type of rainbow wave than the other six fans.  If possible, I’d like to get them all to have the same effect without iCUE running.

Lastly (for now), I have two of the fans on the AIO connected to the CPU fan headers on the motherboard, and one connected to the Commander Core.  Will I get a CPU error if unplug those two from the MB and plug them into the CC?

8143AF0A-1256-408D-8B85-BF350C4D9D01.jpeg

2 hours ago, lerodemmy said:

the Commander Core doesn’t show up.  The Commander Pro and Node Core show up

Try maybe switching the cables for the CC and NC, I don't see a reason why it shouldn't show up

Also, the Node Core is showing six fans connected to it in iCUE, but there are only four. On startup and until iCUE opens, those four fans have a different type of rainbow wave than the other six fans.  If possible, I’d like to get them all to have the same effect without iCUE running.

That's weird. Haven you tried updating iCUE already? 

I don't really have experience with the program itself, that's something I never did anything with.

I have two of the fans on the AIO connected to the CPU fan headers on the motherboard, and one connected to the Commander Core.  Will I get a CPU error if unplug those two from the MB and plug them into the CC?

I've heard of a setting to turn off CPU fan warnings, but I haven't found any setting in your motherboard's manual to turn that off.

You'll probably get a CPU fan error if you don't have any fan(s) plugged into the CPU fan header on your motherboard.

As for the other software issues, you're probably best off either waiting for others to weigh in with their experiences, or contacting Corsair support.

With it all connected like this, it should work as far as I know