Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How cheap is good enough for routing a keyboard case out of wood?

Currently looking into building a wooden keyboard case.

cross-section of what it is supposed to look like:

image.thumb.png.0d0dce02ad57f946450a5497c345e489.png

steps:

1. reach square and level (preparing the wood)

2. carving out the top

3. cut the slope (saw)

4. add the lid

5. add support material on the inside bottom

6. flip it and carve the bottom lid

7. remove the support material

material: not set, maybe oak

Now the question: How good of a router do I need? 

Are the $50 enough/won't blow up on this task or is it better to go up to the $100 class?

side note: I won't keep it. After this is done it will be sold.

Really depends on the wood. For something like MDF just get the basic stuff, but if you’re looking at an actual piece of hardwood then yeah, you’ll want a good router.

Generally speaking don’t cheap out on tools, there’s reasons why one router would be 50$, why ones 200$ and why ones 800$. Generally speaking the slightly above entry level stuff is worth your time, but never buy the cheapest tools you can find.

If you are planing to sell this after, then i suggest the 100$ or above mark, especially if you are going oak (its hard wood and you will need quality bits).

For something like this i would even consider sending it to someone who has a cnc router, but if you like doing it your self then don't cheap out. 

Suggestion also get a planar, or quality chisel i don't think you can get a nice finish on the corners with just a router.

Also like @8tg mentioned, quality router is worth your time, and your time is worth money.

On 4/19/2021 at 11:22 AM, James Evens said:

Now the question: How good of a router do I need? 

What you need is a table saw with a dado set and a mitre saw.

On 4/19/2021 at 5:35 PM, 8tg said:

there’s reasons why one router would be 50$, why ones 200$ and why ones 800$

That's makes it so hard. Reviews are either the usual affiliate spam or "This router is great. Buy it." type of content but not explaining the basics and not actually tearing it down, showing it's limits, etc.

9 hours ago, Kadzo said:

you will need quality bits

That's something I have read over and over. I will definitely try first the bit included with the machine but won't hesitate spending on the bit if it the included fails doing a clean cut in the scrap wood (spruce).

8 hours ago, Kadzo said:

Suggestion also get a planar, or quality chisel i don't think you can get a nice finish on the corners with just a router.

The inside corner radius needs to match the radius of the plate (laser cut so it can be anything). So either I just take the bit radius/diameter or rework it with a chisel.

For the outside corners I will either take them like they are (rectangular) or use a rasp.

@wONKEyeYEs I have a mitre saw but no dado blades.

Bought now a used Bosch POF-1400.

1 hour ago, James Evens said:

Bosch POF-1400

That looks powerful enough.

For bits get carbide.

A router table would help.

router.jpg