Can't update to Windows 10 20H2

Finnja

Hi, so I'm trying to update from windows 10 1909 to 20H2, but when I try to update, I get the "making sure you're ready to install" dialogue box because of something called virtualbox (LDPlayer). I installed LDPlayer once, but have since removed every trace of it. I also removed all of my other emulators just in case they were the problem, to no avail. I've run the trouble shooter, restarted the PC, but still get the error. Does anyone know how I can fix this without reinstalling windows?

This question is better suited for the forums on the microsoft website IMO. 

Is this dialogue box appearing when the rest of the computer is working normally, or has the update process taken over the computer and screen like it usually does, and it erroring out and reverting changes? 

(Actually now that I think about it, there are no changes to revert because it is failing early into the process, when it is just checking compatibility)

And how do you know if you actually removed every trace of LDPlayer, because obviously you didn't or it wouldn't be causing errors. I have multiple issues where even open source software has bad uninstallers and leaves traces in the registry leaving plenty of artifacts, particularly with context menus. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

The latest windows build is a buggy mess. I would suggest avoiding it if possible. Or at least not being in a rush to update. I'm not sure what's causing your problem, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was yet another 20H2 bug. Just run Disk Cleanup as administrator (right click on it for that option) to remove your downloaded update.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

5 minutes ago, Nathanpete said:

This question is better suited for the forums on the microsoft website IMO. 

Is this dialogue box appearing when the rest of the computer is working normally, or has the update process taken over the computer and screen like it usually does, and it erroring out and reverting changes? 

(Actually now that I think about it, there are no changes to revert because it is failing early into the process, when it is just checking compatibility)

And how do you know if you actually removed every trace of LDPlayer, because obviously you didn't or it wouldn't be causing errors. I have multiple issues where even open source software has bad uninstallers and leaves traces in the registry leaving plenty of artifacts, particularly with context menus. 

I get the dialog box right when I click "solve problems" in the windows "check for updates section"

5 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

The latest windows build is a buggy mess. I would suggest avoiding it if possible. Or at least not being in a rush to update. 

Hmm? My system fails at Windows at the first hint of weirdness and it's been running 20H2 without a hitch.

What exactly have you been having problems with?

As for OP, I'd agree with @Nathanpete over on your original thread and take this to the MS forums.

elephants

1 minute ago, FakeKGB said:

Hmm? My system fails at Windows at the first hint of weirdness and it's been running 20H2 without a hitch.

Ive had multiple BSODs when im running virtual machines (emulators or virtualbox) with any hardware accelerated apps on 20H2 which doesnt pop at all from previous updates.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

2 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

What exactly have you been having problems with?

As for OP, I'd agree with @Nathanpete over on your original thread and take this to the MS forums.

Will do, thanks everyone who replied!

18 minutes ago, Finnja said:

*snip*

I installed LDPlayer once, but have since removed every trace of it.

*snip*

You obviously didn't, if you did, then Windows Updater wouldn't detect it.

Check the registry, you probably still have entries in there and that's what is causing the issue.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

21 minutes ago, Finnja said:

Hi, so I'm trying to update from windows 10 1909 to 20H2, but when I try to update, I get the "making sure you're ready to install" dialogue box because of something called virtualbox (LDPlayer). I installed LDPlayer once, but have since removed every trace of it. I also removed all of my other emulators just in case they were the problem, to no avail. I've run the trouble shooter, restarted the PC, but still get the error. Does anyone know how I can fix this without reinstalling windows?

i had this same issue and fixed it by going to microsoft's website  and get the windows 10 update installer and it fixed my issue 

KanyeWestLover911
Reminder

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

I Use Arch BTW

my PCs 

these are my Pcs 

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/mtj08/saved/

1 minute ago, SorryClaire said:

Ive had multiple BSODs when im running virtual machines (emulators or virtualbox) with any hardware accelerated apps on 20H2 which doesnt pop at all from previous updates.

I've never had those problems, and I've run many OS's in VMs - 98 SE, 2000, XP, Vista, Mint 17.3, ReactOS, TempleOS.

Though my Windows install is MBR, not GPT (it was upgraded from Windows 7), so maybe that could be it?

elephants

10 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

You obviously didn't, if you did, then Windows Updater wouldn't detect it.

Check the registry, you probably still have entries in there and that's what is causing the issue.

Exactly, I have had bad experiences with even actively updated (as in like 3 times a year) open source software have had pretty shit uninstallers that don't clean the registry and broke my context menus and the "choose an app to open this file with" dialogue window. IIRC it was some sort of open source replacement for the default photos app in windows. I downloaded like 4 different apps and tried them out, settled on the FastStone app, but the other apps remained attached to various image file extensions and I had to spend about and hour and a half doing CTRL+F in Regedit removing remnants. I wasn't able to fix the context menus (the laptop's context menus are still filled with entries that do absolutely nothing), but I was able to fix the relations for the file extensions for images. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)