How to recover an Ext4 partition after formatting it.

TYGX
Go to solution Solved by Kilrah,

testdisk might be able to find the partition and recreate the partition table.

Here is a thing, I want to re-install an OS with a new SSD(M.2) on my NAS(ubuntu). But when I boot in to PE drive(Win PE) the partition initialization comes out, and I hit the inistialize button.

I realize that there is still my old drive(SATA HDD) with Ext4 partition and it's not recognized by the disk manager in Win PE, so it's initialized.

I close the initializing window immediately(within 2s), but I still lost my partition.

I tried to use diskgenius to find the lost partition, but it turns out some kernel partition(about 20s kernel partition, I haven't click the apply button). I am confused, because there are just some videos and photos in the nas old drive.

Is my sequence wrong? Should I do this with linux style software? And how to make it?

I am so sorry for the phone-shot image, but the PE has no internet and I have no capture card :|

Thanks a lot.

ubuntu Ext4.jpg

<-- Moved to Troubleshooting -->

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

7 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

<-- Moved to Troubleshooting -->

Sorry for creating this topic in a wrong part, I am new here. By the way, are you having any solution about this?

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

18 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Thank you, let me try this

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

Thank you again, I managed to fix my partition with testdisk, the tool is so damn great that a noob like me could fix this.