IMac 24" 8.1 A1225 usb boot drive problem

Hi team, new guy here.

Lookin for help with usb bootable drive. 

I have iMac 24 C2D 8800GS i am trying to reinstall mac os. 

Only have windows machine to create bootable drive.

I have tried these below to create drive

Diskpart-transmac

Transmac only

Etcher

UUbyte

Tried El Capitan and Yosemite

Crearing drive on windows will finish with no issue, but when i insert in the usb port in mac and trying to boot from it usb drive is not present 

Holding alt key only brings hard drive but no usb part. 

Tried all three usb ports, all are working, but none sees usb drive

USB is 2.0, tried few others same issue. 

Also tried reseting nvram and booting again but no go. 

I feel like windows and thes esw tools fail to create boot drive for mac

Any hints what I might do next. 

Thank you,

D

You're trying Yosemite and El Capitan?
Step down to Snow Leopard and/or Lion (10.6 and 10.7) - Yosemite is 7 years older than the iMac.

elephants

Will give it a try, report back. 

Thank you for your reply. 

Is there any way you can get access to a Mac to make an installer drive? Does the iMac currently have any version of macOS on it?

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

24 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

Is there any way you can get access to a Mac to make an installer drive? Does the iMac currently have any version of macOS on it?

No access to amc anywhere around me. I have just tried snow leopard and shows usb when booting but with it I sm getting kernel panics. When i unplug it i dont get them. 

Hard drive died in and i swapped with ssd. 

Will try leopard now to see if it will come up. 

2 hours ago, FakeKGB said:

You're trying Yosemite and El Capitan?
Step down to Snow Leopard and/or Lion (10.6 and 10.7) - Yosemite is 7 years older than the iMac.

please for the love of god can you look something up before posting? the iMac in question here is a 2008 model, which supports both Yosemite and El Capitan. 

She/Her

2 minutes ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

is the iMac's drive blank or does it have an OS already on it?

It has old windows 10 instalation. Do you think i need to format it. I only have windows machine. 

7 minutes ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

please for the love of god can you look something up before posting? the iMac in question here is a 2008 model, which supports both Yosemite and El Capitan. 

I never said it didn't, just in my experience I've had better luck starting older than upgrading, e.g. starting with 10.7 then upgrading to 10.11.

elephants

@Ashley MLP Fangirl Not sure why you're upset at @FakeKGB, but they are making a good suggestion. Trying older versions of OS X is a good troubleshooting step. Yes, the machine supports up to El Cap, but that doesn't mean that trying an older version is a bad idea. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

So update is that i am getting kernel panics with snow leooard and leooard too.

I am trying agan to see if Yosemite will show up. 

Do i need to format ssd maybe? 

Mac had el capitan installed when hdd died.  Dont know if that matters. 

1 minute ago, TWISTEDTT said:

So update is that i am getting kernel panics with snow leooard and leooard too.

I am trying agan to see if Yosemite will show up. 

Do i need to format ssd maybe? 

Mac had el capitan installed when hdd died.  Dont know if that matters. 

Just to make sure - Yosemite and El Capitan won't install as the iMac won't boot to the installers.

You can boot and install Leopard and Snow Leopard, but you get kernel panics.

That sound right?

If so, are you able to run Disk Utility from the bootable Mac OS X Leopard/Snow Leopard USB and format it as 1 partition with MBR and Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)?

Just to rule it out as a problem.

elephants

11 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Just to make sure - Yosemite and El Capitan won't install as the iMac won't boot to the installers.

You can boot and install Leopard and Snow Leopard, but you get kernel panics.

That sound right?

If so, are you able to run Disk Utility from the bootable Mac OS X Leopard/Snow Leopard USB and format it as 1 partition with MBR and Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)?

Just to rule it out as a problem.

When i insert usb with snow leopard or leopard i get kernel panocs after i click to boot feom usb drive after holding alt key. 

Like 30-40 seconds after clixking to boot from usb i am greeted with power off message. 

I am using transmac if that matters. 

10 minutes ago, TWISTEDTT said:

When i insert usb with snow leopard or leopard i get kernel panocs after i click to boot feom usb drive after holding alt key. 

Like 30-40 seconds after clixking to boot from usb i am greeted with power off message. 

I am using transmac if that matters. 

Where did you get the installer images?

2 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

Where did you get the installer images?

Yosemite and el capitan from apple 

This page - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

Snow leopard and leopard from torrent. I dont know where else to find these two.