EPYC Motherboard with NVMe RAID options

Vashan

Hi LTT Community,

I've been wanting to build a new server for myself.

I know there are a lot of other options, but what I really want is a EPYC based system, single CPU, with a "server grade" motherboard, something with IPMI etc.

I'll be running VMWare ESXi, again, i know there are other options, like unraid or promox, but this is what I would like to run.

I've been looking at some Supermicro and Asrock Rack boards, but i cannot seem to find one that supports PCIe (NVMe) RAID options.

I'm looking to run 2 x Samsung 980 1TB drives in a RAID 1.

Now I know there are plenty of options to put the m.2 drives in a PCIe RAID Card, but i've heard quite a few horror stories about people having trouble booting off of those.

I was hoping some of you have some more experience with this and could recommend a motherboard or PCIe RAID card to me that is sure to work.

Thanks in advance!

Change what you cannot accept, accept what you cannot change.

are there any boards that support hardware nvme raid at all ? I havent heard that yet, some supermicro boards to offer pcie raid but youll need an extension for them, so thats out of the question I guess.

But still, hardware raid with  2 m.2 slots on the motherboards would be relly nice i guess

I guess the closest but far more expensive way would be to look at intels line of motherboards, and u.2 connectors. they offer direct raid, but the cost is above the clouds

The best option is a lsi 9400 series card, they will do nvme raid, as well as sas and sata drives.

But really nvme basically all needs software raid, so your best option is probably to have a seperate nas/san to store data on. Or use a vm/os that supports software raid.

Id probalby not boot off those nvme drives, and have some cheap ssds/usb/sd/hdds for boot only, and have other drives for vm storage.