Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How does dual channel mode work on a laptop?

Based on what I already know, the two ram sticks have to be of the same size. What about the speed?
If my laptop runs at 2133mhz ram speed and I get another ram stick with a higher speed but same size, I know my motherboard will reduce the speed to the supported speed but will the two ram sticks run in dual channel mode? 

(Since they have the same size and are both running at same speed)

5 minutes ago, Licht said:

but will the two ram sticks run in dual channel mode?

Typically, yes.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

It can run dual channel even with different sized RAM, but only up to double the capacity of the smaller one. My laptop has one 4GB(soldered) and one 8 GB stick. It runs dual channel up to 4+4 GB and the last 4GB single channeled.

24 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Typically, yes.

16 minutes ago, Tegneren said:

It can run dual channel even with different sized RAM, but only up to double the capacity of the smaller one. My laptop has one 4GB(soldered) and one 8 GB stick. It runs dual channel up to 4+4 GB and the last 4GB single channeled.

Oh nice 

I have just two slots available

So are you saying if I have a 4gb ram stick installed and another 8gb ram stick installed, they'll both run in dual channel?

15 minutes ago, Licht said:

Oh nice 

So are you saying if I have a 4gb ram stick installed and another 8gb ram stick installed, they'll both run in dual channel?

It will run in dual channel, until the 4GB stick and half of the 8GB stick is filled.

Youll have 8GB of dual channel and 4gb of single channel RAM available

My Gaming PC:
Zotac RTX 3090 AMP (+750 mem +200 core. Not the best, but was MSRP. Plan on watercooling later)
i9 9900KF 5GHz 1.31V LLC6 - NZXT x72
G.Skill Trident Z @3450MHz 32GB CL15 (3466 and 3200 mixed CL16) OC
Asus Maximus X Hero
Samsung 840 PRO 128GB (Windows)

Samsung 960 Pro 512GB (Most played Games)
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB (Games)
Samsung 860 EVO 500GB (Stuff)
Seagate Backup Plus 8TB (Shadowplay and Backups)
Corsair RM-850X

Lian Li O11Dynamic
MSI Optix MAG274QRFDE-QD / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG258Q  240hz, BenQ ZOWIE XL2720 144hz, Acer S242HLDBID 60hz

Logitech G Pro Wireless Superlight / Glorious Model O Wireless
Hyper X Alloy Origins Core (Reds)

My Silent Multimedia PC:

i7 8700k delid (4.8Ghz, 1.25V) - Noctua NH-D15

Asus Strix RTX 2080 OC (Undervolt)

G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz 16GB

Gigabyte Z390 UD (cheap but does the job)

Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB (Games) + Kingston A400 240GB (Windows) + 480GB (Programs)

Corsair RM-650

Be Quiet Silent Base 601 with 2x 140mm Noctua exhaust

Samsung Q60R (4k 60hz for Windows, 1440p 120hz Freesync for gaming)

Logitech G Pro Wireless

Ducky One 2 TKL (Silver/Blue)

My Notebook:

Asus Zephyrus G14 Top Spec 120hz

30 minutes ago, Licht said:

Oh nice 

Yes, but I will recommend getting a matched set if possible. On my laptop 4GB is soldered so I had no other option if I wanted more than 8GB total

1 hour ago, Noah0302 said:

It will run in dual channel, until the 4GB stick and half of the 8GB stick is filled.

Youll have 8GB of dual channel and 4gb of single channel RAM available

Oh I understand now 

Thanks 

52 minutes ago, Tegneren said:

Yes, but I will recommend getting a matched set if possible. On my laptop 4GB is soldered so I had no other option if I wanted more than 8GB total

Thanks I'll get an additional 8gb stick then 

I have one 8gb stick already.

Ideally, you'd also want to get the same type ... SS or DS.  (single sided or double sided ... which isn't always the same as having ram chips on both sides of the ram stick).

Most 8 GB sticks should be of SS type by now. 4 GB sticks always were, because nobody made chips smaller than 512 MB (8 chips x 512 MB = 4 GB) and now that even 2 GB chips are made, it's cheaper to use 8 x 1 GB chips instead of 16 x 512 MB 

Also, you'll want to match the type ... ex try not to mix DDR3 with DDR3L  as DDR3 needs at least 1.5v to run, while DDR3L can work with 1.35v (most will work with 1.5v but can overheat, and a few would outright refuse to work at 1.5v)

You probably have DDR4 though.

38 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Ideally, you'd also want to get the same type ... SS or DS.  (single sided or double sided ... which isn't always the same as having ram chips on both sides of the ram stick).

Most 8 GB sticks should be of SS type by now. 4 GB sticks always were, because nobody made chips smaller than 512 MB (8 chips x 512 MB = 4 GB) and now that even 2 GB chips are made, it's cheaper to use 8 x 1 GB chips instead of 16 x 512 MB 

Also, you'll want to match the type ... ex try not to mix DDR3 with DDR3L  as DDR3 needs at least 1.5v to run, while DDR3L can work with 1.35v (most will work with 1.5v but can overheat, and a few would outright refuse to work at 1.5v)

You probably have DDR4 though.

Yeah mine is DDR4  

Thanks for the warning