First PC build, need opinions on parts.

GlaZe08

Budget (including currency): Don't really have a budget, cant spend more / less if needed.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Pretty much all new and old games. Streaming, some video editing etc,

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): The 1660 super is there because thats what i have laying around and there isnt much available right now, but will upgrade to a 3000 series once available.

So yeah, First pc build ever. Just want opinions on all the parts so far. Is everything compatible, will all the parts fit. cooling, etc etc. Planning to go out and buy the stuff as soon as i know everything will work together.

5 minutes ago, GlaZe08 said:

Budget (including currency): Don't really have a budget, cant spend more / less if needed.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Pretty much all new and old games. Streaming, some video editing etc,

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): The 1660 super is there because thats what i have laying around and there isnt much available right now, but will upgrade to a 3000 series once available.

So yeah, First pc build ever. Just want opinions on all the parts so far. Is everything compatible, will all the parts fit. cooling, etc etc. Planning to go out and buy the stuff as soon as i know everything will work together.

No need for 980 pro, get a 970 evo/evo plus instead. also, if you could want you could swap your 860 evo for an sn550 (also an nvme drive). Also since you have a 1000W PSU, I'm assuming you'd be buying a 3090?

Attention is what makes life meaningful.

Also, please quote me for a reply. 🙂

Part list looks decent, only thing that sticks out to me is that 1000W power supply.

I don't know what 30-series card you're planning to use, but I'm running a 5800X and RTX 3080 off a 750W power supply, I doubt you'll need anything over 850W unless you're going 3090.

The 980 Pro also seems really expensive for what it is, you can get decent 1TB NVMe drives for almost half the price. Any particular reason going for this one?

About me [ Linux Engineer | Community Admin | Automation Fanatic | Digital Media Hoarder | All-Round Tech Lover ]

PC [ Custom | 5800X | RTX 3080 | 32GB | 2x 1TB NVMe | 5120 x 1440 @ 120 | Win10 Pro ]
Laptop [ HP Elitebook 1040 G4 | i7-7500U | 16GB | 512GB NVMe | 1080p @ 120 | ElementaryOS ]
Server [ HP Microserver G8 | Xeon E3-1265L | Quadro P1000 | 16GB ECC | 2x 3TB + 2x 8TB HDD | UNRAID ]

1 minute ago, Ezel said:

Part list looks decent, only thing that sticks out to me is that 1000W power supply.

I don't know what 30-series card you're planning to use, but I'm running a 5800X and RTX 3080 off a 750W power supply, I doubt you'll need anything over 850W unless you're going 3090.

The 980 Pro also seems really expensive for what it is, you can get decent 1TB NVMe drives for almost half the price. Any particular reason going for this one?

Went with the 980 for he 4.0 PCIe since a friend told me it would be much faster. Also for the PSU ive watced alot of vids where ppl talk about how a higher watt psu helps with efficiency or whatever. But if those arent needed then ig i can go with the cheaper ones

7 minutes ago, GlaZe08 said:

Went with the 980 for he 4.0 PCIe since a friend told me it would be much faster. Also for the PSU ive watced alot of vids where ppl talk about how a higher watt psu helps with efficiency or whatever. But if those arent needed then ig i can go with the cheaper ones

The main cost of 980 pro comes from it being an MLC drive (probably), there are probably other pcie 4 drives at a lower cost (hopefully), check the SSD tier list on the forum for more info. Also, having a bit of headroom in your PSU is fine, for example, if PC part picker shows a total draw of 450W, I'd advise getting a 550W PSU for headroom and future proofing, but definitely not that much. A 3080 needs a 750W PSU, I'd probably recommend an 850W depending on what kinda processor is going with it, but still not a 1000W...

Efficiency is mostly determined by the Bronze, or Gold or platinum rating. (Also this efficiency is not really appreciable unless the PSU is hit with a good amount of load. Although I'm not an expert in this area, anyone feel free to correct me.)

Attention is what makes life meaningful.

Also, please quote me for a reply. 🙂

3 minutes ago, GlaZe08 said:

980 for he 4.0 PCIe since a friend told me it would be much faster

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/JLdxFT/samsung-970-evo-10tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-mz-v7e1t0baw

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/gCJmP6/corsair-mp600-force-series-gen4-1-tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-cssd-f1000gbmp600

you want longevity and pcie 4.0 then yeah sure go with 980 pro instead of 970.
(also i could not find 970 at sane prices)

2 minutes ago, GlaZe08 said:

The raw speeds of PCIe 4.0 drives are indeed a lot faster but at this point in time there's almost no application where it would make a noticeable difference, you could get one for when stuff like direct storage come around, but you really need to consider if it's worth your money right now for something that might still take a while to get to PC games.

Although a higher wattage power supply might be slightly more efficient, we're only talking about a few percent here, instead of going for a higher wattage going for a higher efficiency label might be better (the 80-plus labels you see on PSUs). You can also use this for deciding what PSU to go for:

About me [ Linux Engineer | Community Admin | Automation Fanatic | Digital Media Hoarder | All-Round Tech Lover ]

PC [ Custom | 5800X | RTX 3080 | 32GB | 2x 1TB NVMe | 5120 x 1440 @ 120 | Win10 Pro ]
Laptop [ HP Elitebook 1040 G4 | i7-7500U | 16GB | 512GB NVMe | 1080p @ 120 | ElementaryOS ]
Server [ HP Microserver G8 | Xeon E3-1265L | Quadro P1000 | 16GB ECC | 2x 3TB + 2x 8TB HDD | UNRAID ]

23 minutes ago, GlaZe08 said:

but will upgrade to a 3000 series once available.

even with 3080 max power draw will be 850w yeah i would say that's power supply you chose right there.

also i would say your build is well thought out, i can't find any bad thing about it.

1 minute ago, Ezel said:

The raw speeds of PCIe 4.0 drives are indeed a lot faster but at this point in time there's almost no application where it would make a noticeable difference, you could get one for when stuff like direct storage come around, but you really need to consider if it's worth your money right now for something that might still take a while to get to PC games.

Although a higher wattage power supply might be slightly more efficient, we're only talking about a few percent here, instead of going for a higher wattage going for a higher efficiency label might be better (the 80-plus labels you see on PSUs). You can also use this for deciding what PSU to go for:

Alright, will change to a 970 in that case. And probably a 850 psu? Oh also another thing. I saw on pcpartpicker that i might need a second cpu to update bios or something. How do i go about that?

Just now, GlaZe08 said:

will change to a 970 in that case.

and what is it's price btw?

1 minute ago, GlaZe08 said:

Oh also another thing. I saw on pcpartpicker that i might need a second cpu to update bios or something.

well for one you can ask your friend for an amd cpu
secondly you can ask at the place from where you are getting these things (unless it's online) they will be more than happy to help you. (trust me on this one.)

unless the price difference is too much between 850w psu and 1000w i would say go with 1000w.

4 minutes ago, GlaZe08 said:

Alright, will change to a 970 in that case. And probably a 850 psu? Oh also another thing. I saw on pcpartpicker that i might need a second cpu to update bios or something. How do i go about that?

A lot of modern motherboards have an option to flash the BIOS without a CPU installed, I'd think this MSI board would have that too, but be sure to check the MSI product page to be sure. Otherwise some web shops offer a service to flash your bios before shipping it.

3 minutes ago, Orian Pax said:

and what is it's price btw?

well for one you can ask your friend for an amd cpu
secondly you can ask at the place from where you are getting these things (unless it's online) they will be more than happy to help you. (trust me on this one.)

unless the price difference is too much between 850w psu and 1000w i would say go with 1000w.

Dont really know anyone with amd cpu so.. 970 is about 170$ and psu 160$

2 minutes ago, Ezel said:

A lot of modern motherboards have an option to flash the BIOS without a CPU installed, I'd think this MSI board would have that too, but be sure to check the MSI product page to be sure. Otherwise some web shops offer a service to flash your bios before shipping it.

Alright, another thing i just thought of. Should i be getting a 570 board for 5800x? I remember reading smth about that before. Not really sure

1 minute ago, GlaZe08 said:

Alright, another thing i just thought of. Should i be getting a 570 board for 5800x? I remember reading smth about that before. Not really sure

X570 will have some extra PCI-E 4.0 lanes, B550 still has enough for 1 GPU and 1 4.0 SSD in the top slot, the rest will be PCI-E 3.0, but I don't think that would be a problem in this build.

21 minutes ago, Ezel said:

X570 will have some extra PCI-E 4.0 lanes, B550 still has enough for 1 GPU and 1 4.0 SSD in the top slot, the rest will be PCI-E 3.0, but I don't think that would be a problem in this build.

okay, just wanted to double check so i dont screw myself over somehow.