Camera suggestions for landscapes and beginners?

Go to solution Solved by AnirbanG007,
5 hours ago, TheInvisible_Dude said:

Thanks a lot for breaking down the explanation!

This is why I wanted to ask directly. You included many details I wouldn’t find on other websites or Youtube—but that’s  because it’s general information, ofc.

Also thank you for the link, knowing which online stores to check narrows it down a lot; Out of curiosity, it is a bad or good idea to buy used cameras, or it just depends from where do you get it? For instance, if you buy it from a person there mightn’t be guarantee and stuff like that. Meanwhile, perhaps buying from a store could be safer. 

Just asking because I think all electronic devices can be tricky to buy, even more when prices are high. 

Also thanks for the PS ☺️

To be honest, I never actually bought used. It could be a good idea probably from ebay, or someplace where they have buyer protection or something, Indians don't really use it, I'm not familiar with it. I think unless you're 100% sure of what you're gonna get, it's probably safer to buy new from a store. Also guarantee/warranty could be important, you're gonna be travelling with it, if it gets damaged, you could just use that service when you come back home. I really don't think I'm qualified to answer this, lol.

Also another thing, popped in my head while typing this. Since you mention you need your camera gear to be light, you could look into the micro four thirds systems from Panasonic or Olympus for that matter. Like the G85 which I previously mentioned, not only would these camera be lighter, but also the lenses are lighter and often smaller, I forget the exact details, but prolly because it has something to do with having less flange distance, i.e shorter distance between the lens mount and the sensor. So that could be something.

Also thoroughly check the lens ecosystem of each and every camera, as you'd buying into the ecosystem.

Goodnight everyone!

First time making a post here, so I’m sorry if I make any mistake or if the post is too long.

Suggestions on cameras for absolute beginners? I’m looking for one specifically for landscapes. I think it would be important to add that I'm basically clueless about cameras in general.

I have researched for the last two days, read some posts on this forum on landscapes, and took notes, but I thought it might be good to ask for some guidance directly. I will be traveling to Iceland next year (hopefully), and I really want to take good pictures. 

I’m aware of the average prices so I’m on a budget. Say, perhaps 800 to 900 dlls. Wouldn't mind getting a used camera, but I don’t know if this would be a good or bad idea due to possible malfunctions and no guarantees; I have also looked up recommended gear for the Icelandic weather, so I would prefer to travel lightweight.

I imagine that the jackets and boots will be heavy enough.

Thanks a lot for your time.

honestly with no experience about cameras the first question you should ask yourself is if you want to learn about, stuff like ISO, exposure times, focal lengths, choosing the right lens for the job and editing the photos later on or if you just want a simple point and shoot camera with a good auto mode?

Professional cameras can get you really good pictures but that also usually means you need to understand which exact settings are the best for your current situation which usually also means you want a set of different lenses.

If this is not what you want to learn or even deal with during the trip i would recommend to spend the money on a high end smartphone as these cameras provide a good auto mode and you want a smartphone with you anways.

Thanks a lot for replying!

I would like to learn about these topics. That's why I began to read about the topic, though I know its still very new to me. I understand that using these cameras is not easy at all, but still I would like to get into it. I did check about phone upgrades and stuff, but I wasn't really interested about it. 

30 minutes ago, TheInvisible_Dude said:

Goodnight everyone!

First time making a post here, so I’m sorry if I make any mistake or if the post is too long.

Suggestions on cameras for absolute beginners? I’m looking for one specifically for landscapes. I think it would be important to add that I'm basically clueless about cameras in general.

I have researched for the last two days, read some posts on this forum on landscapes, and took notes, but I thought it might be good to ask for some guidance directly. I will be traveling to Iceland next year (hopefully), and I really want to take good pictures. 

I’m aware of the average prices so I’m on a budget. Say, perhaps 800 to 900 dlls. Wouldn't mind getting a used camera, but I don’t know if this would be a good or bad idea due to possible malfunctions and no guarantees; I have also looked up recommended gear for the Icelandic weather, so I would prefer to travel lightweight.

I imagine that the jackets and boots will be heavy enough.

Thanks a lot for your time.

As a photography camer for an absolute beginner, I'd suggest the Nikon d5600, it's a little old by now, but you could get it at a lower price and also plenty of lenses available for it (F mount). Video focusing on this camera is NOT great. Also, since you mention landscapes, or any type of photography for that matter, it depends much more on the lens than on the camera body. This camera is not weather-sealed tho, they cost more, I don't know what currency that is.

If you want a camera for great photography as well as video, my personal choice is the canon 200D mk ii, it has excellent autofocus, 5 axis stabilisation and many people love Canon's color science. It has different names in different countries, so look that up, please. It has the EF line of lenses. There are MANY lenses in the EF lineup, however I've heard that Canon will retire the EF lineup soon in favor of RF lenses, I'm not a 100% sure, so please look that up again (lol).

Another camera I had my eyes on for a long time, is the 800D from Canon, it's also an amazing camera for photo and video (overall better than the nikon in terms of versatility but costs more ofc), but lacks some of the video related features.

Despite the fact that I couldn't understand your currency, these are great budget beginner cameras, and I am planning to buy the 200d mk ii if I can save enough money, 🙂 

Attention is what makes life meaningful.

Also, please quote me for a reply. 🙂

7 minutes ago, AnirbanG007 said:

As a photography camer for an absolute beginner, I'd suggest the Nikon d5600, it's a little old by now, but you could get it at a lower price and also plenty of lenses available for it (F mount). Video focusing on this camera is NOT great. Also, since you mention landscapes, or any type of photography for that matter, it depends much more on the lens than on the camera body. This camera is not weather-sealed tho, they cost more, I don't know what currency that is.

If you want a camera for great photography as well as video, my personal choice is the canon 200D mk ii, it has excellent autofocus, 5 axis stabilisation and many people love Canon's color science. It has different names in different countries, so look that up, please. It has the EF line of lenses. There are MANY lenses in the EF lineup, however I've heard that Canon will retire the EF lineup soon in favor of RF lenses, I'm not a 100% sure, so please look that up again (lol).

Another camera I had my eyes on for a long time, is the 800D from Canon, it's also an amazing camera for photo and video (overall better than the nikon in terms of versatility but costs more ofc), but lacks some of the video related features.

Despite the fact that I couldn't understand your currency, these are great budget beginner cameras, and I am planning to buy the 200d mk ii if I can save enough money, 🙂 

Thank you so much for the information! Notes were definitely taken lol.

Also thanks a lot for explaining the importance of the lens over the body and the weather-sealed details. I was forgetting how important that could be up there.

My currency is US dollar. If it helps, my budget would be around £576—according to Google converter, of course

I will look up the cameras you mentioned. 

Thanks for replying ☺️

3 hours ago, TheInvisible_Dude said:

Thank you so much for the information! Notes were definitely taken lol.

Also thanks a lot for explaining the importance of the lens over the body and the weather-sealed details. I was forgetting how important that could be up there.

My currency is US dollar. If it helps, my budget would be around £576—according to Google converter, of course

I will look up the cameras you mentioned. 

Thanks for replying ☺️

Ohhh, you meant dollars, in the original post. xD Aight, never mind then. 

So, this is the Rebel SL# aka 200d mk ii aka 250D. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1473087-REG/canon_3453c002_eos_rebel_sl3_dslr.html

It's going for 700 usd rn (with the kit lens), if you can find it cheaper somewhere, go for it. (if you choose to get this cam ofc).

Some general suggestions from a broke photographer: Since you have a total budget of 900 USD, I'd advise you to do some research about what kind of lenses are more suitable for landscape photography, instead of spending too much on the camera itself.

Now, while the kit lens is a great place to begin with, it being a jack of all trades kinda guy, if you find something particular to your needs, you might as well skip the kit lens, if you have an option to buy only the body that is, as it will lower the cost, and you will have more legroom when it comes to buying a good quality lens (be it prime, or zoom lens) for your camera.

While you're at it, you could also research about hyperfocal distance, it comes in handy during landscape photography.

Also I don't think you'd find anything at this price range which would come with weather sealing, except for the panasonic g85 and the sony alpha a6300, there maybe other cameras that offer this, that I'm not aware of. The G85 is also a very good camera, and being mirrorless, will be lighter than a DSLR. (All the other ones I mentioned are DSLR). Also has a wide range of lenses afaik. Oh, and also G7. xD Too many choices.

PS: Feel free to ask anything about photography. 🙂 

11 hours ago, AnirbanG007 said:

Ohhh, you meant dollars, in the original post. xD Aight, never mind then. 

So, this is the Rebel SL# aka 200d mk ii aka 250D. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1473087-REG/canon_3453c002_eos_rebel_sl3_dslr.html

It's going for 700 usd rn (with the kit lens), if you can find it cheaper somewhere, go for it. (if you choose to get this cam ofc).

Some general suggestions from a broke photographer: Since you have a total budget of 900 USD, I'd advise you to do some research about what kind of lenses are more suitable for landscape photography, instead of spending too much on the camera itself.

Now, while the kit lens is a great place to begin with, it being a jack of all trades kinda guy, if you find something particular to your needs, you might as well skip the kit lens, if you have an option to buy only the body that is, as it will lower the cost, and you will have more legroom when it comes to buying a good quality lens (be it prime, or zoom lens) for your camera.

While you're at it, you could also research about hyperfocal distance, it comes in handy during landscape photography.

Also I don't think you'd find anything at this price range which would come with weather sealing, except for the panasonic g85 and the sony alpha a6300, there maybe other cameras that offer this, that I'm not aware of. The G85 is also a very good camera, and being mirrorless, will be lighter than a DSLR. (All the other ones I mentioned are DSLR). Also has a wide range of lenses afaik. Oh, and also G7. xD Too many choices.

PS: Feel free to ask anything about photography. 🙂 

This is why I wanted to ask directly. You included many details I wouldn’t find on other websites or Youtube—but that’s  because it’s general information, ofc.

Also thank you for the link, knowing which online stores to check narrows it down a lot; Out of curiosity, it is a bad or good idea to buy used cameras, or it just depends from where do you get it? For instance, if you buy it from a person there mightn’t be guarantee and stuff like that. Meanwhile, perhaps buying from a store could be safer. 

Just asking because I think all electronic devices can be tricky to buy, even more when prices are high. 

5 hours ago, TheInvisible_Dude said:

To be honest, I never actually bought used. It could be a good idea probably from ebay, or someplace where they have buyer protection or something, Indians don't really use it, I'm not familiar with it. I think unless you're 100% sure of what you're gonna get, it's probably safer to buy new from a store. Also guarantee/warranty could be important, you're gonna be travelling with it, if it gets damaged, you could just use that service when you come back home. I really don't think I'm qualified to answer this, lol.

Also another thing, popped in my head while typing this. Since you mention you need your camera gear to be light, you could look into the micro four thirds systems from Panasonic or Olympus for that matter. Like the G85 which I previously mentioned, not only would these camera be lighter, but also the lenses are lighter and often smaller, I forget the exact details, but prolly because it has something to do with having less flange distance, i.e shorter distance between the lens mount and the sensor. So that could be something.

Also thoroughly check the lens ecosystem of each and every camera, as you'd buying into the ecosystem.

22 hours ago, AnirbanG007 said:

Lol No, no. You are right on getting the warranty—and buying from store, since I’m still new at this; It will also be my first time traveling there and something might happen when hiking and stuff. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks for the gear recommendation. It worried me I would have to carry a lot with it, since once I saw an acquaintance’s equipment. We were just going to walk around the city, not doing much, and still she had to carry a big case with the accessories and gear. If I’m traveling there I’ll be moving nearly every day, so lighter options are appreciated lol 

I’ll be checking the cameras you suggested on B&H. Is it okay then to message you if something else pops up? 

Seriously thanks a lot for all the information. I have a better idea on what to look now.

3 minutes ago, TheInvisible_Dude said:

Lol No, no. You are right on getting the warranty—and buying from store, since I’m still new at this; It will also be my first time traveling there and something might happen when hiking and stuff. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks for the gear recommendation. It worried me I would have to carry a lot with it, since once I saw an acquaintance’s equipment. We were just going to walk around the city, not doing much, and still she had to carry a big case with the accessories and gear. If I’m traveling there I’ll be moving nearly every day, so lighter options are appreciated lol 

I’ll be checking the cameras you suggested on B&H. Is it okay then to message you if something else pops up? 

Seriously thanks a lot for all the information. I have a better idea on what to look now.

Sure, feel free to message me anytime. I don't have the funds to buy one for myself but it gives me genuine pleasure to help someone to the best of my abilities.

41 minutes ago, TheInvisible_Dude said:

I don't think you need to worry about weight too much, you'd probably end up traveling with the camera and the kit lens and at most another lens. Whichever camera company you choose it wouldn't be heavy. It's a different story once you start building your lens empire tho xD...