4x8GB 3600MHz RAM vs 2x16GB 3600MHz For Zen 3?

I was just wondering what is the better solution. I have seen videos from GN, Hardware Unboxed and Jay showing that 4 sticks provide performance increases over 2 sticks. The difference in price is $40 AUD ($30USD) with the 2x16GB kit being cheaper and was debating on whether the performance improves are worth the extra money. Any help would be appreciated

2x16 is a better choice. there is no performance gains going 4x8. and 2x16 is more stable, handles xmp better,and is less demanding on the memory controller on the CPU.

23 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

2x16 is a better choice. there is no performance gains going 4x8. and 2x16 is more stable, handles xmp better,and is less demanding on the memory controller on the CPU.

That might be true for every other CPU but there IS a difference between 4 and 2 on Zen 3 specifically, i.e 

So I just wanna know if the price difference is worth the jump in price. Even if its worth going from 3600 to 3200

5 hours ago, Acxd said:

That might be true for every other CPU but there IS a difference between 4 and 2 on Zen 3 specifically, i.e 

So I just wanna know if the price difference is worth the jump in price. Even if its worth going from 3600 to 3200

the question is. is it worth it to you?

If you are looking at interleaving 2x16 is only worth if they are dual rank sticks. You can get two SR sticks to perform like 4 SR sticks but you have to lean on the system a quite a bit to get the performance. And that's not even talking 3d yet. Is it worth it? If you have the cash sure, but if things are a bit tight.. I don't know.. that would be up to you. Its not a massive gain, but it is noticeable. Also if you are into overclocking, 4 sticks is a lot harder to push than two and will lower your limits..

AMD R9 5900X @ Booost | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL- C12 Pro, 2x TL-K12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3800 14-15-15-35 1.575v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
EVGA SuperNova 750w | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB |1x Phanteks T30, 1x TL-B12, 1x TY-143

17 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

the question is. is it worth it to you?

Id say so, from the video it shows 8-10% increased performance for certain situation. I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed a difference in their performance when going from 2 to 4. 

Just now, freeagent said:

If you are looking at interleaving 2x16 is only worth if they are dual rank sticks. You can get two SR sticks to perform like 4 SR sticks but you have to lean on the system a quite a bit to get the performance. And that's not even talking 3d yet. Is it worth it? If you have the cash sure, but if things are a bit tight.. I don't know.. that would be up to you. Its not a massive gain, but it is noticeable. Also if you are into overclocking, 4 sticks is a lot harder to push than two and will lower your limits..

So noticeable but money is better to put towards other parts of the system? Cause I got the money but if I can save $40 and put that into a better monitor then that's what I was wondering if I should do or not

7 minutes ago, Acxd said:

So noticeable but money is better to put towards other parts of the system? Cause I got the money but if I can save $40 and put that into a better monitor then that's what I was wondering if I should do or not

Yeah I would agree with that.. I haven't really tested in depth much 3D yet, but what Steve saw in his video is pretty much what I saw. It was actually that video that convinced me in November to go with 4 sticks. Initially I just bought my Royals, but then I saw that video and couldn't buy another set because they were gone, so I had to settle with Black and Whites. But in the end I still have 4x8 3200c14 and am pretty satisfied. I would be even more satisfied if I could run all four at 2k 1:1 but I am not that skilled.

AMD R9 5900X @ Booost | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL- C12 Pro, 2x TL-K12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3800 14-15-15-35 1.575v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
EVGA SuperNova 750w | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB |1x Phanteks T30, 1x TL-B12, 1x TY-143

13 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Yeah I would agree with that.. I haven't really tested in depth much 3D yet, but what Steve saw in his video is pretty much what I saw. It was actually that video that convinced me in November to go with 4 sticks. Initially I just bought my Royals, but then I saw that video and couldn't buy another set because they were gone, so I had to settle with Black and Whites. But in the end I still have 4x8 3200c14 and am pretty satisfied. I would be even more satisfied if I could run all four at 2k 1:1 but I am not that skilled.

Yeah think Ill go with a better monitor, mine has just broke on me with coloured vert lines appearing on boot up so 😞 Thanks for the help though! You too @narrdarr