New Ryzen build crashes with BOSD "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT"

necky2
Go to solution Solved by necky2,
7 hours ago, TrigrH said:

i'm 90% confident your motherboard doesn't like your ram for some reason

3 hours ago, Hold-Ma-Beer said:

RAM has the higher probability in your case

Thanks very much for your help.

I borrowed an聽8GB stick (BLS8G4D32AESBK) and it fixed the issue! The sad news is that now I have to buy new RAM 馃槥

So, I ordered a 2x16GB kit (F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC), I assume the chance of incompatibility with these is zero.

Also, found this list of Ryzen 3000 and higher list of compatible RAM. My current RAM (HX421C14FBK2/16) is not in the list.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/ryzen-compatible-memory

Hello, these are my PC specs. Yesterday, I upgraded the components marked as bold.

• MSI Z170 GAMING M3 -> MSI X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI
  • i5 6600k -> Ryzen 5900x
  • XFX RX 5700 Thicc
  • Kingston HyperX Fury 2x8 GB DDR4 2133MHz
  • Thermaltake Toughpower 650W聽80 PLUS Gold
  • 3 drives: SAMSUNG 970 Evo Plus 2TB, HyperX FURY 240 GB SSD and some random 1TB HDD

The problem is that I am getting BSODs with many messages, mostly it's "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT", I also remember "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL". I also had some weird behavior when in windows - file explorer kept freezing right after opening, microsoft edge closed right after opening, many error dialogs mentioning memory. I can usually stay for 2 minutes in Windows and then it crashes. Mostly, right after boot OR after doing something (clicking in the start menu, opening the browser)

What I tried

• Remove 1 RAM stick, remove the other, shuffle between slots, underclock to 1600, overvolt 1.2 -> 1.35, ran memtest86 (currently 9,5h / 3,7 passes) with no errors, ran windows memory diagnostic tool with no errors, also it did work perfectly before the upgrade - That rules out the RAM, right?
  • Reinstall Windows, remove all drives except one and install Win on that one -> tried that with two different drives. The windows installation also crashed in the installation sometimes (before first restart). I tried running in safe mode. None of this worked. This rules out drivers and drives, right?
  • I updated bios from (from some mid 2020 version to聽7C84v15 or possibly聽7C84v163-beta, I'm not sure now, I would be dumb if I used the beta version), I tried all stock settings, I tried the changes mentioned above. This rules out BIOS, right?

Some extra thoughts

• I have only plugged in one CPU power cable (the 8 pin one), the mobo also has a 4 pin one, which I left empty, as I don't have the cable. I found online that this shouldn't be a problem.
  • The first few times I booted after the upgrade, everything worked fine. I did some benchmarks (nothing stressful for the HW, only CSGO and UserBenchMark). Then I installed the MSI Dragon Center and I downloaded 4 drivers from the "Support" section. It installed stuff like "AMD chipset driver", "Ryzen Master", some network drivers and maybe one more. Then the PC restarted and then all these issues began.

Sorry for the long post, tried to get all the info here. Any ideas?

19 minutes ago, necky2 said:

Sorry for the long post, tried to get all the info here. Any ideas?

Are you installing the latest version of windows 10?

With both sticks installed in聽single channel mode (next to each other) does it still crash?

If you are on ryzen 5000 there is no harm in using the latest beta bios.

Just now, TrigrH said:

Are you installing the latest version of windows 10?

With both sticks installed in聽single channel mode (next to each other) does it still crash?

1. Yes, I created the bootable USB yesterday with the microsoft tool.

2. I have not tried that. But I have tried using only one stick, which eliminates dual channel mode. Should I still try to run it in this configuration?

1 minute ago, necky2 said:

Should I still try to run it in this configuration?

You might as well, 16gb of ram is better than 8.

Clearly with the spec of this system your ram is temporary.聽2133mhz is crippling on any modern system.

1 minute ago, TrigrH said:

You might as well, 16gb of ram is better than 8.

Clearly with the spec of this system your ram is temporary.聽2133mhz is crippling on any modern system.

Thanks, I will try that when I get to it.

Yes, RAM is the next planned upgrade. This one is sitting in my PC for almost 6 years now 馃槃

53 minutes ago, necky2 said:

That rules out the RAM, right?

Yes.

53 minutes ago, necky2 said:

This rules out BIOS, right?

Mostly yes.

54 minutes ago, necky2 said:

I have only plugged in one CPU power cable (the 8 pin one), the mobo also has a 4 pin one, which I left empty, as I don't have the cable. I found online that this shouldn't be a problem.

That another 4 pin is for extreme overclocking I guess, and the 8 pin would suffice.

54 minutes ago, necky2 said:

It installed stuff like "AMD chipset driver", "Ryzen Master", some network drivers and maybe one more.

Try uninstalling those chipset drivers and install the latest ones from the AMD site. I'd do a clean install of windows and then install the latest chipset drivers from AMD. Since 5000 series is still new, I'd prefer AMD over the motherboard manufacturer.

Get the latest Bios from Mobo site

Latest chipset from AMD

Try and update us. I know this might be a lengthy process, but it might be worth it.

7 minutes ago, Hold-Ma-Beer said:

Get the latest Bios from Mobo site

Latest chipset from AMD

Thank you, I will try that.聽

The bios is already done, I'm not sure if I will be able to install the chipset driver before Windows crashes. Maybe in like 100 tries 馃槃

@Hold-Ma-Beer聽If the problem is with the hardware. Do you think it's the mobo or the CPU? Is it possible that there could be any problem with the physical cable connections or something like that?

32 minutes ago, necky2 said:

If the problem is with the hardware. Do you think it's the mobo or the CPU? Is it possible that there could be any problem with the physical cable connections or something like that?

i'm 90% confident your motherboard doesn't like your ram for some reason. Its just super strange as ive never seen a kit fail at 2133. If you get the same issues with your new kit of ram, the motherboard is defective.

9 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

i'm 90% confident your motherboard doesn't like your ram

I thought so too! That's why I tried underclocking and some other stuff. Any possibility that I could fix it by adjusting some bios values? I will try to get hold of some other DDR4 RAM.

4 hours ago, necky2 said:

@Hold-Ma-Beer聽If the problem is with the hardware. Do you think it's the mobo or the CPU? Is it possible that there could be any problem with the physical cable connections or something like that?

I don't think thats the case because you ran MEMTEST86 without any errors right? As others said, it might be your RAM (Incompatibility with newer Ryzen?) since what I understand from your specs is you've not upgraded your RAM. If nothing works, just try getting hands on a newer RAM kit, one preferably tested stable with Ryzen 5000 series.

Motherboard can be faulty, but RAM has the higher probability in your case.

Good Luck!

7 hours ago, TrigrH said:

i'm 90% confident your motherboard doesn't like your ram for some reason

3 hours ago, Hold-Ma-Beer said:

RAM has the higher probability in your case

I borrowed an聽8GB stick (BLS8G4D32AESBK) and it fixed the issue! The sad news is that now I have to buy new RAM 馃槥

So, I ordered a 2x16GB kit (F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC), I assume the chance of incompatibility with these is zero.

Also, found this list of Ryzen 3000 and higher list of compatible RAM. My current RAM (HX421C14FBK2/16) is not in the list.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/ryzen-compatible-memory

14 minutes ago, necky2 said:

Well, a very few popular RAM modules are on the compatibility list, though a newer RAM can surely help!

Since your issue is solved, might as well mark this thread as "Solved" so that other people with similar issue can refer to this.

All the Best! 馃槈