If I install a new System HDD in eMachines PC, will I lose Windows license?

DCCFan

I read that with prebuilt systems the license is tied to the motherboard, and I am still using the original mobo so in that case, I think I'm safe? just looking to make sure 🙂 Once moved, I don't need to enter the license key again, just sign in to ms account right?

You should be fine, yeah.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

If your PC came preinstalled with Windows 7 or older, it should have a COA Sticker with the activation key somewhere on the case. If it came preinstalled with 8/8.1 or 10, it will likely have a windows key embedded into the bios.

You can reinstall windows just fine if it has either of those methods. For the former, it will ask for your key, for the latter it will automatically detect the key.

21 minutes ago, comicsansms said:

If your PC came preinstalled with Windows 7 or older, it should have a COA Sticker with the activation key somewhere on the case. If it came preinstalled with 8/8.1 or 10, it will likely have a windows key embedded into the bios.

You can reinstall windows just fine if it has either of those methods. For the former, it will ask for your key, for the latter it will automatically detect the key.

Thanks so much for the explanation. Actually, it came preinstalled with Win 7 but I ended up upgrading to Win 10 last year and if I remember well, it pretty much remembered the license and I didn't even have to enter it. But I did upgrade to 10 using the same HDD where 7 was, so just in case I will save the license number this time. 

9 minutes ago, DCCFan said:

Thanks so much for the explanation. Actually, it came preinstalled with Win 7 but I ended up upgrading to Win 10 last year and if I remember well, it pretty much remembered the license and I didn't even have to enter it. But I did upgrade to 10 using the same HDD where 7 was, so just in case I will save the license number this time. 

Windows 7 COA keys should still activate windows 10, (or at least windows 7 Pro, I haven't touched home in years).

It might be a good idea to run magic jellybean key finder and also note down the Windows 10 CD Key

image.png.b826ebc31ede4c2df643ca24ccfc76cb.png

https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Your old HDD's windows install won't suddenly stop working if you remove it from the system and install it on a new HDD. If you cannot reactivate windows on the new HDD/Install, you can clone the old HDD onto the new HDD using a cloning software like Macrium Reflect.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

18 minutes ago, comicsansms said:

Windows 7 COA keys should still activate windows 10, (or at least windows 7 Pro, I haven't touched home in years).

It might be a good idea to run magic jellybean key finder and also note down the Windows 10 CD Key

image.png.b826ebc31ede4c2df643ca24ccfc76cb.png

https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Your old HDD's windows install won't suddenly stop working if you remove it from the system and install it on a new HDD. If you cannot reactivate windows on the new HDD/Install, you can clone the old HDD onto the new HDD using a cloning software like Macrium Reflect.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Yeah I was surprised when this PC automatically activated Win 10, I was prepared to put up with the watermark till I could get my hands on a license lol but I guess they consider it a free upgrade. I had Windows 7 Home premium I think. 

I remember using the JellyBean program before. Will probably need it to get the key as I no longer have the original computer case with the license. Is the Ashampoo Backup Pro the same as Macrium Reflect? I wonder because I already have that one, it came bundled with other software. Otherwise I can dl Macrium. 

2 hours ago, DCCFan said:

Yeah I was surprised when this PC automatically activated Win 10, I was prepared to put up with the watermark till I could get my hands on a license lol but I guess they consider it a free upgrade. I had Windows 7 Home premium I think. 

I remember using the JellyBean program before. Will probably need it to get the key as I no longer have the original computer case with the license. Is the Ashampoo Backup Pro the same as Macrium Reflect? I wonder because I already have that one, it came bundled with other software. Otherwise I can dl Macrium. 

Ashampoo pro looks like an imaging software.

I have never used ashampoo, so I cannot comment on it, but in general:

Cloning software will make an exact copy of your computer's partitions, whereas an imaging software will likely will only copy required system files and drivers, as well as applications.

-> Moved to Windows

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv