My GPU Fans Are Stopping Working While Gaming

Curesto

Hi, my GPU's fans are stopping working while gaming and causing overheat. Fans are not working for 15 minutes. What should i do? Thanks.

I've never found something like this on internet.Hope you can help me. I had this problem for 1 months.

Most interesting thing is: Only 2 of 3 fans are stopping working. Middle fan is keep spinning.

GPU model: Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X OC 3GB GDDR5 384-Bit.

Remove it and dust it off. I was going to say the game wasn't demanding enough but all the fans would stop .

Install MSI afterburner. Crank the fans up manually to see if they work.

Check the fans. I would not necessarily just crank up the fans as you might cause the motors to be overworked. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Some GPUs will only kick fans in when a certain temp is reached.

Download their software and change the card settings.

MAIN PC (Beast) - Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WIFI  with BIOS 4703, AMD Ryzen R9 3900XT + Corsair H115i Pro RGB XT Cooling, 32GB G.Skill 3200Mhz 16,18,18,38 1.35v DDR4, Inno3d HerculeZ Design Nvidia GTX 1080 X2 8GB GDDR5,  1 x Samsung U28E590D & 1 x Samsung U32J59XUQ 3840 x 2160 4K, 1 x Samsung Evo 970 Evo Plus NVME PCI-E 1TB, 1 x Samsung Evo 850 250GB, 1 X Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB + 2 X 3TB Seagate Barracuda SATA III, 1 x LG BH16NS40 16x BR\DVDRW, ICYBOX IB3740-C31 & ICYBOX IB3640-03,  MZHOU 7 Ports PCIe USB 3.0 Card, 1 x XIAOLO 2.5G Intel I225V Ethernet Card, 2 x UGREEN Hard Drive Enclosure 3.5 inch External SATA Disk Caddy Reader USB 3.0 2.5 3.5 HDD SSD 16TB UASP Case Dock Station With 12V 2A Power Adapter For Windows with 6TB Seagate Barracuda SATA III, Corsair Obsidian 750D Wind Force Edition Case + 5 Corsair ML140 140mm Case Fans, EVGA 750 g3 750w Gold 80+ PSU, Logitech MX Vertical Mouse, Logitech MX Vertical & MX Ergo Trackball Mouse using same USB unifying device, Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard, Windows 11 Pro x64 Retail, Synology ds215j NAS + 1x3TB WD Reds connected to a 6TB Seagate USB 3.0 Backup Plus Hub, Blue Yeti Microphone, Logitech C922 Pro HD,  Logitech C920 Pro HD, Bit Defender Total Security 2021.

Second PC (Cyclops) - MSI 990FXA Gaming, AMD FX 8370 4Ghz, Corsair 16GB Vengeance Red 9-9-9-24 1600Mhz, Arctic Cooling Freezer 13, Asus Strix 1050TI 4GB, 1 X Acer 27" Full HD Monitor, 1 X Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB, 1 x Samsung Evo 850 250GB, 2 X Seagate Barracuda 2TB, 1 X WD Black 2TB, 1 x ASUS 16x DVDRW, X-Case Eagle III Case, 3 X Corsair AF 120 Case Fans, EVGA 850 G2 80+ Gold + PSU, Logitech MX Master Mouse, Corsair K30 Keyboard, Logitech C920 Webcam, R0DE NT1-A Microphone, Scarlet 212 Audio Interface (Revision 2), Windows 10 Pro X64 Retail, Bit Defender Total Security 2021, 2TB Seagate Expansion USB Hard Drive.

Third PC (Old Trustie) - Acer Aspire M3400, OEM Mainboard, AMD FX Athlon II X3 425 2.7Ghz, 16GB Corsair Value 1600Mhz Ram, OEM CPU Cooler, AMD R7 260 2GB GPU, 1 X Acer 27" Full HD Monitor, 1 X Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB, 2TB Samsung SATA III, 1 X OEM 16X DVDRW, 1 X Acer OEM Case, 1 X Corsair AF120 Case Can, Corsair CX500 Bronze+ CPU, Logitech MX Master Mouse, Corsair K30 Keyboard, Windows 10 Home X64 OEM, Logitech C920 Webcam, Bit Defender Total Security 2021.

Printers Include - Canon MG5750, Canon, IP8750,  Canon Pixma Mega tank G5050 & 2 X Samsung Xpress C410W.

1 X Zexrow Xbox360 Wired Game Controller.

TP Link Archer AX6000 Cable Router Wifi6 with a Virgin Media Hub 4.0 in Modem only mode running 1GB Fibre internet.

Samsung Galaxy S21+ 256GB Mobile Phone.

Internet Speed.....

https://www.speedtest.net/result/9935039193

• 1 month later...

Hi, my Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X OC 3GB GDDR5 384-Bit have some problems. It's fans are stopping working while gaming and it's cause overheating and throttling 1100 MHz to 500 MHz and it's causing serious performance loss. While this happening fans are stopped working and there's a red light appears on the card itself. Sometimes, fans are starting working while gaming.

I've searched and asked a lot people and websites, but i don't find any clue to fix this, even can't find something like this.

How to fix this? What should i do? Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, i have Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X OC 3GB GDDR5 384-Bit model GPU.

It's 2 of 3 fans stopping working while gaming and this causing overheating, when they're stopped, the "RPM" indicator on MSI Afterburner OSD dissapears. 

Sometimes, fans are starting

working.

This causing throttling 1100 MHz to 501 MHz also this causing big performance loss.

I had this problem for 3 months.

GPU has overheating problem as well. Hitting 86-87 degrees while gaming at around %50-60 load.

What should i do? 

I've searched for long this problem

on İnternet, but never seen something like this.

Thanks in advance.

GPU runs perfectly, there's no problem on GPU. The fans are stopping.

The older tri-x coolers had a lot of dead fans. Not uncommon either replace or do like a lot of others and just mod it to use well fitting desktop fans.

You're bringing back horrible memories of my r9 290.

Yeah just ziptie some fans over top of the dead ones and just wire em straight to 12v and it should keep it alive a little longer until you get a better gpu.

7 minutes ago, jaslion said:

The older tri-x coolers had a lot of dead fans. Not uncommon either replace or do like a lot of others and just mod it to use well fitting desktop fans.

So the this series have problems. I've been thinking about the replace them with 12 CM desktop fans. But, i don't know how to do it.

31 minutes ago, Curesto said:

So the this series have problems. I've been thinking about the replace them with 12 CM desktop fans. But, i don't know how to do it.

Use better fitting fans. Basically measure the height and length of the card, buy the best fitting static pressure fans as possible, ziptie them on and connect the fans to the motherboard of the pc, set them at a set rpm, test the card in a benchmark for thermals, adjust to your liking and done.

With better fitting fans I mean fans that cover the whole heatsink but do not go over it in terms of height. This is to keep pressure through the heatsink something 12cm fans will not be able to do. The arctic p series are excellent for this as they are great performers, silent and best of all cheap.

Hi, i have Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X OC 3GB GDDR5 384-Bit model GPU. It's fans are dying, stopping while under load, and this causes overheating and throttling. I want to change fans with destkop fans. But, i don't know which fan would fit well on my GPU's heatsink.

What should i do? Which fan model should i use?

Thanks in advance.

3 minutes ago, Curesto said:

Hi, i have Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X OC 3GB GDDR5 384-Bit model GPU. It's fans are dying, stopping while under load, and this causes overheating and throttling. I want to change fans with destkop fans. But, i don't know which fan would fit well on my GPU's heatsink.

What should i do? Which fan model should i use?

Thanks in advance.

You can buy replacement fans for that card.

Instead of reengineering the whole thing.

Creative use of zip ties will allow any fan to work. 

Main Computer: CPU - Ryzen 5 5900x Cooler - NZXT Kraken x53  RAM - 32GB Corsairsrair Vengeance Pro GPU - Zotac RTX 3070 Case - Lian Li LanCool II RGB (White) Storage - 1TB Inland Premium M.2 SSD and 2x WD 2TB Black.

Backup Computer: CPU - Ryzen 7 3700x Cooler - CoolerMaster ML240 V2 RAM - 32GB G.Skill RipJaws GPU - Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE Case - Cougar QBX Storage - 500GB WD Black M.2 SSD 

@Curesto Check out the video where Linus does that with a video card:

I would probably go with Noctua's like they did, they're good fans and very reliable, as to size, I'd measure the length of the heatsink and the width, based on some basic research as to the size of the card, 3x 120mm fans looks like the best bet maybe. If ya aren't allergic to jank, that could be a good solution for you, or if you dig the original aesthetic, replacement fans are easy to come by.

• 1 month later...

Hi, i have some problem on my system's GPU's fans. Since July 2020, 2 of 3 fans are stopping working and causes GPU to hit 98-99 degrees then GPU starts throttling from 1100 MHz to 501 MHz. It causes huge performance loss.

Fans are stopping while working at %90 speed for a minutes.

GPU Model: Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X OC 3GB GDDR5 384-Bit

GPU works perfectly fine besides the fans.

I've been thinking to replace them with case fans, but don't know which case fan model fits it right.

What should i do? Thanks in advance.

Here's my 13 years old and still going Stella and the GPU. You can see the only middle fan is spinning. GPU is dusty because i've cleaned it 2 months ago. It's definitely not dust related problem. Fans are stopping working even the GPU itself is cleaned.

IMG_20201225_005334_056.thumb.jpg.90b0300dd3b9fdcc9de905f7fdfaffa7.jpg

22 minutes ago, Curesto said:

g to replace them with case fans, but don't know which case fan model fits it right.

What should i do? Thanks in advance.

Well, if you can remove the plastic cover that holds the current fans, you can use any case fan that you have and mount it somehow (usually with cable ties for example). I believe Sapphire uses 3 80 mm fans on that card but 92 mm fans would work as well so would 120 mm fans if you can mount them. Make sure to use premium fans with static pressure at or above 1mm H2O. Also have the fans spin at a certain speed all the time, the gpu will heat up differently from the cpu, making motherboard pwm control fairly difficult. Usually a pair of 12mm fans like the noctua nf-F12, spinning at 50 percent fan speed with the included resistor cables is enough to keep the card cool and noise levels adequate. If you want to keep more space underneath the card, there are 15 mm thick fans as well, however they will have to spin faster and thus creating more noise than the normal 25 mm thick ones. 

I'd take the card out and clean out the dust and measure how large of a surface area you have. Some fans btw. could be fixed by re-oiling them if they are FDB or Fluid Dynamic Bearing, however given the age it would be normal for them to be worn out by now. Some sites like ali express sometimes have to original coolers in stock as well but in my experience using decent case fans always results in better performance at a lower cost compared to replacing the entire heatsink. If you wanted to do that, you could use an Arctic Accelero Afermarket cooler as well. 

10 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Well, if you can remove the plastic cover that holds the current fans, you can use any case fan that you have and mount it somehow (usually with cable ties for example). I believe Sapphire uses 3 80 mm fans on that card but 92 mm fans would work as well so would 120 mm fans if you can mount them. Make sure to use premium fans with static pressure at or above 1mm H2O. Also have the fans spin at a certain speed all the time, the gpu will heat up differently from the cpu, making motherboard pwm control fairly difficult. Usually a pair of 12mm fans like the noctua nf-F12, spinning at 50 percent fan speed with the included resistor cables is enough to keep the card cool and noise levels adequate. If you want to keep more space underneath the card, there are 15 mm thick fans as well, however they will have to spin faster and thus creating more noise than the normal 25 mm thick ones. 

I'd take the card out and clean out the dust and measure how large of a surface area you have. Some fans btw. could be fixed by re-oiling them if they are FDB or Fluid Dynamic Bearing, however given the age it would be normal for them to be worn out by now. Some sites like ali express sometimes have to original coolers in stock as well but in my experience using decent case fans always results in better performance at a lower cost compared to replacing the entire heatsink. If you wanted to do that, you could use an Arctic Accelero Afermarket cooler as well. 

Normally, i've bought the GPU from used market 9 months ago. It was working perfectly fine until the July. 

I think i'll replace them with case fans. Can 120 mm fan fit on this card? Card is 307mm length according to TDP, don't sure about the width.

Thanks.

1 minute ago, Curesto said:

Normally, i've bought the GPU from used market 9 months ago. It was working perfectly fine until the July. 

I think i'll replace them with case fans. Can 120 mm fan fit on this card? Card is 307mm length according to TDP, don't sure about the width.

Thanks.

Anandtech has an article about the card. They list the fans as 2x 90 mm and one 80 mm in the middle. I would assume that 2 or 3 92 mm fans would fit perfectly well. 2x 120 mm fans would be ab bit too tall for the card, that should not affect performance too much. I would recommend replacing the thermal paste while you have the card open like that and clean out all the dust as well. I use cable ties between the fins and through the fan's screw holes to mount them. Noctua fans these days come with those rubber corners, making them sit better on the sharp metal fins than just hard plastic but the choice of fan is up to you. 3x 92 mm fans at half speed connected to your psu will be plenty of airflow. With the third fan overhanging in the rear, you will have a similar effect as the new rtx cards have with some vertical airflow over the motherboard as well.

11 hours ago, Caroline said:

You'll need to remove the plastics for 120mm fans to fit, use zipties to keep them in place

or use a prebuilt frame like: https://www.amazon.com/GeLid-SL-PCI-02-Slot-120mm-Cooler/dp/B00OXHOQVU 

just make the fans blow air onto the heatsink

Thanks. I'll get 2X 120mm fans. But i'm not sure if it can fit the heatsink of the card.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, i had Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X OC 3GB GDDR5 384-Bit model GPU. It's 2 fans are dead, they stopping working while running at high RPM. I'm looking for a case fans to replace them. I'm thinking about to replace them with 2X 120MM, because 3X 92MM fans are way too expensive then 2X 120MM. But, i'm not sure if 120MM fans are would fit on my GPU without problems. I'll plug them into the motherboard as well.

MSI Afterburner RPM OSD is disappears when fans are stopping working.

Here's the picture of the GPU. 2 big fans are doesn't work for some reason.

IMG_20201225_005334_056.thumb.jpg.84f934ae918a424c16f0d4567984d922.jpg

You should look at getting an aftermarket cooler to slap on there like the Rajintek Morpheus: https://www.raijintek.com/en/products_detail.php?ProductID=46

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, you can use 2x 120mm fans on it. I had Palit Gamerock gtx 1080ti with loud and crackling fans, I replaced them with 2x noctua fans and attached them to the heatsing with cable ties. never seen temps going above 66C since than. Only thing what I did is, I soldered gpu fan connector to four pin Fan connectors and plugged them 120mm into the gpu directly, fan speeds works flawlesly,controlled by gpu. Now I am planning to do same with my rtx 3080 Eagle as that thing is hot,Sorry for my english

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, i've had some serious problem on my Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X OC 3GB GDDR5 384-Bit that i've bought from used market on February 2020. It's been working pretty well and without problems. 

On around July 2020, i was playing Battlefield 1, i had some habit that i always playing games with MSI Afterburner OSD to monitor system. I've noticed that temperatures are were so high (around 95 degrees) and not hearing any fan noises. And i've checked my GPU the 2 big fans weren't working. GPU starts throttling 1100 MHz to 501 MHz. I was getting V-Sync On 60 FPS static, it was dropped below 30 FPS and below.

To this day, fans sometimes working, sometimes not. Also, i've noticed that MSI afterburner doesn't detect fans while they're not spinning. Because of that, i've started the thinking about GPU's fan controller.

GPU fans are starts working and instantly stops working while under load.

Even on 501MHz GPU hit 95 degrees because of that problem.

I've forced to use GPU at 501 MHz because of that problem. I didn't changed thermal paste or tried to replace the fans.

I can't afford new GPU. I need help to fix this problem.

Things i've tried for troubleshooting:

1) I've tried changing power cables.

2) I've tried multiple different drivers

3) I've tried cleaning the GPU (Only exterior)

4) I've tried different BIOS settings.

5) I've tried limiting fan speeds

Thanks in advance.

The picture of the GPU:(2 90MM fans are ain't working. Only middle 80MM one is working)

IMG_20201225_005334_056.thumb.jpg.afcec0c918fda6466ecfbc124e5ee62b.jpg