How should I improve airflow in my PC build?

Idosho1

Hello!

I have recently upgraded my build to a new Ryzen 9 5900x and an RTX 3080, and I have noticed that my temps have gone way up.

I understand that these temps are normal, but they occur even when the fans are turned up enough to make pretty loud noise.

I was wondering how I could improve my temps/noise.

Image of the build is attached below.

I am probably not interested in upgrading my H510 Elite case since I really like and it was quite expensive (I know airflow is not optimal)

Here are some options I was considering. Please let me know what you think would be the best.

• Get a new Kraken 280mm AIO to replace the 5 year old Corsair one (Non RGB and use the current fans in the front)
  • Get a Noctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler (Figured this might be a good idea since it adds two more fans into the system

As for the fans, I currently have the two on the AI plugged into CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT and the other two to CHASIS_FAN and using Asus AI Suite to make a fan curve.

Should I keep it this way, or should I plug them into the NZXT fan controller and let it control the fans? Where should I plug in the AIO Fans to?

Thank You!

IMG_3479.jpg

What cooler are you currently using and what are you aiming to improve?

Moved to Cooling. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Eh, either cooler upgrade will be fine but I'm a big air cooler fanboy

However, to some degree you will always have a limit using that case. Airflow sucks

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

I know you like that case, but that's your single biggest issue. Nothing you do is going to make much of a difference, because it has literally no airflow. Reminds me of the display PS5s Best Buy was killing, putting them in a glass lockbox.

I'm not even sure where you'd put a radiator. In the front I guess, but with just one lonely front side vent and trying to both pull in fresh air and push it through a radiator, no wonder your fans are running for their lives.

As far as your AIO goes, 5 years is a long time for an AIO, it's probably time to replace it. I'd imagine a D15 would cool far better than an AIO, given the airflow problems, so I'd definitely consider that. Other than that, not sure what else can be done. It's just going to be hot, and fan noise is going to remain an issue.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

17 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

What cooler are you currently using and what are you aiming to improve?

Moved to Cooling. 

I am currently using a Corsair H110i GTX that I bought back in 2017, using new thermal paste.

I am aiming to get slightly lower temps with less noise. This might also be a fan curve issue.

Do you have any suggestions for creating a good fan curve. I had issues with the ryzen spiking in temps while opening tabs which led to the fans to ramp up and down in 2 seconds. I made a custom curve but I can't seem to make a good curve that doesn't let the fans spike quickly but also cools well during gaming.

1 minute ago, Chris Pratt said:

I know you like that case, but that's your single biggest issue. Nothing you do is going to make much of a difference, because it has literally no airflow. Reminds me of the display PS5s Best Buy was killing, putting them in a glass lockbox.

I'm not even sure where you'd put a radiator. In the front I guess, but with just one lonely front side vent and trying to both pull in fresh air and push it through a radiator, no wonder your fans are running for their lives.

As far as your AIO goes, 5 years is a long time for an AIO, it's probably time to replace it. I'd imagine a D15 would cool far better than an AIO, given the airflow problems, so I'd definitely consider that. Other than that, not sure what else can be done. It's just going to be hot, and fan noise is going to remain an issue.

Thanks for the detailed reply!

Do you think getting a new case like the Corsair 4000D or 5000D would make a large enough difference in noise and temps compared to just replacing the AIO with a Noctua D15 that it would be worth it?

5 minutes ago, Idosho1 said:

Do you think getting a new case like the Corsair 4000D or 5000D would make a large enough difference

I rekon it would as they have so much more airflow your fans would actually be able to breath therefore not needing to go higher rpm but really that aio is pretty old but i mean if its going its going you just gotta be careful when it eventually does kick the bucket. then i would go for a new one.

Do you think getting a new case like the Corsair 4000D or 5000D would make a large enough difference in noise and temps compared to just replacing the AIO with a Noctua D15 that it would be worth it?

Getting a 4000d airflow would be the best cost effective solution. That (if it had some fans) would certainly knock down a lot of the airflow problems. Your AIO is getting a little old, but you can save towards something like an NH D15 and enjoy still better temps with a better case.

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

If you want to improve temps or noise:

• If you want lower temps/noise, you're looking at custom liquid cooling. From what I remember, there are large diminishing returns between any of the high end air and liquid coolers for a 5900x. For example, from a 240mm to a 2800mm AIO, or NH-D15. The H510 doesn't fit a 350mm or 420mm AIO, but I don't think those are good returns for the price anyways. 
  • Case with better airflow (sticking with the H510 will limit your options)
  • Better fans (that deliver better airflow/static pressure at lower noise)
  • lower your ambient (room) temperature 

I don't think your fans are the bottleneck here. You stated running them at full speed yielded little to no results. Plugging them into a different control source will not yield the result you desire. Remember, you can blow all the air you want, but if the conductor and condenser can not keep up with the heat load, more airflow does not cool down anything. 

With a 5900x and a 3090, you're looking at an average of a "300W" heat load under a reasonable workload, which is quite a lot. 

Lastly, keep in mind temperature, noise, and airflow are not directly correlated. 

Read before asking for help  |  How to respond to a no POST or no power up situation  |  Don't ask to ask, just ask  |  The XY Problem  | Don't just say "Hello" in chat  |  How do I ask a good question?

If my post helped, please give a 'reaction' using the heart 🤍 in the bottom right. 

Make sure to quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

F@H Contribution

BOINC Contribution

HeatWare

"The only difference between a problem and a solution is that people understand the solution."

"Give people permission to make mistakes and the obligation to learn from them."

“The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice.” - Brian Herbert

"People will never truly understand something until it happens to them."

"I usually give people more chances than they deserve but once I'm done, I'm done."

CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X  |  Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Gaming X  |  RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3600MHz  |  GPU ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Trinity OC |  Case BitFenix Ghost  |  Storage HP EX920 1TB, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, WD Black 8TB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB  |  PSU Seasonic Prime GX-750  |  Displays Lenovo ThinkVision P27q-20, Dell UP2716D  |  Cooling Noctua NH-D15  |  Operating System Windows 10 Home

11 minutes ago, Idosho1 said:

Definitely. Those cases have excellent airflow.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

If you are going to change cases, to the Corsair 4000d for example, try orienting your AIO so that it's on the top mount or with the tubes at the bottom of the radiator on the front mount. Long story short: there is some air in AIOs, so providing better liquid flow with proper orientation, especially on an older AIO, should provide better performance. 

Read before asking for help  |  How to respond to a no POST or no power up situation  |  Don't ask to ask, just ask  |  The XY Problem  | Don't just say "Hello" in chat  |  How do I ask a good question?

If my post helped, please give a 'reaction' using the heart 🤍 in the bottom right. 

Make sure to quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

F@H Contribution

BOINC Contribution

HeatWare

"The only difference between a problem and a solution is that people understand the solution."

"Give people permission to make mistakes and the obligation to learn from them."

“The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice.” - Brian Herbert

"I usually give people more chances than they deserve but once I'm done, I'm done."

CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X  |  Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Gaming X  |  RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3600MHz  |  GPU ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Trinity OC |  Case BitFenix Ghost  |  Storage HP EX920 1TB, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, WD Black 8TB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB  |  PSU Seasonic Prime GX-750  |  Displays Lenovo ThinkVision P27q-20, Dell UP2716D  |  Cooling Noctua NH-D15  |  Operating System Windows 10 Home

17 minutes ago, Idosho1 said:

I am currently using a Corsair H110i GTX that I bought back in 2017, using new thermal paste.
I am aiming to get slightly lower temps with less noise. This might also be a fan curve issue.

Do you have any suggestions for creating a good fan curve. I had issues with the ryzen spiking in temps while opening tabs which led to the fans to ramp up and down in 2 seconds. I made a custom curve but I can't seem to make a good curve that doesn't let the fans spike quickly but also cools well during gaming.

Neither would make much of a improvement in lowering temps but you can lower noise with a custom fan curve or better fans. 

Have you tried increasing the fan hysteresis / delay and using liquid temp instead of cpu temp for the fan curve?

What are load temps? Are you using PBO?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

Neither would make much of a improvement in lowering temps but you can lower noise with a custom fan curve or better fans. 

Have you tried increasing the fan hysteresis / delay and using liquid temp instead of cpu temp for the fan curve?

What are load temps? Are you using PBO?

I don't plan on getting better fans.
As for the fan curve, I have not tried using liquid temp. How would you go about doing this?
Load temps for CPU are around 68-75 and for the GPU are around 70-77. I am using default settings at the moment without PBO.

4 minutes ago, Universes said:

If you are going to change cases, to the Corsair 4000d for example, try orienting your AIO so that it's on the top mount or with the tubes at the bottom of the radiator on the front mount. Long story short: there is some air in AIOs, so providing better liquid flow with proper orientation, especially on an older AIO, should provide better performance. 

Thanks for the tip about the AIO. I knew having the tubes at the top would be a problem with the air bubbles but unfortunately that was the only orientation that fit. 

1 minute ago, Idosho1 said:

Thanks for the tip about the AIO. I knew having the tubes at the top would be a problem with the air bubbles but unfortunately that was the only orientation that fit. 

That's the joke about cases like the H510. It's honestly form over function. But then again, for the price, can't complain. Maybe more of a "incompatible" matching problem....

F@H Contribution

BOINC Contribution

HeatWare

7 minutes ago, Idosho1 said:

As for the fan curve, I have not tried using liquid temp. How would you go about doing this?
Load temps for CPU are around 68-75 and for the GPU are around 70-77. I am using default settings at the moment without PBO.

Corsair Link should work. 

Those are decent load temps and there's no need to change anything especially if you're not using PBO. If you want to lower noise, you can change fans / settings. 

Assuming I do switch to the Corsair 4000D Airflow, I will want to keep my current fans (3x140mm and 1x120mm AER2 NZXT fans). Which option do you think would be the best?

1. Buy a 240mm NZXT Kraken for the top, 120mm fan at the back, 2x140mm fans in the front, and end up with an extra 140mm fan
  2. Buy a 360mm NZXT Kraken for the front, 120mm fan at the back, 2x140mm fans in the top, and end up with an extra 140mm fan
  3. Buy a Noctua D15, buy another 140mm fan, have 4 total 140mm fans and a 120mm fan

15 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Corsair Link should work. 

Those are decent load temps and there's no need to change anything especially if you're not using PBO. If you want to lower noise, you can change fans / settings. 

Just a side note, the temps I mentioned were from HWiNFO64, but the temps on Ryzen Master seemed to be higher at around 80-85 max

Assuming I do switch to the Corsair 4000D Airflow, I will want to keep my current fans (3x140mm and 1x120mm AER2 NZXT fans). Which option do you think would be the best?

1. Buy a 240mm NZXT Kraken for the top, 120mm fan at the back, 2x140mm fans in the front, and end up with an extra 140mm fan
  2. Buy a 360mm NZXT Kraken for the front, 120mm fan at the back, 2x140mm fans in the top, and end up with an extra 140mm fan
  3. Buy a Noctua D15, buy another 140mm fan, have 4 total 140mm fans and a 120mm fan

The 360mm will yield the lowest temperature out of the three, regardless of orientation of everything.

F@H Contribution

BOINC Contribution

HeatWare

On 4/18/2021 at 5:24 PM, Idosho1 said:

Just a side note, the temps I mentioned were from HWiNFO64, but the temps on Ryzen Master seemed to be higher at around 80-85 max

Ah 80-85c seems a bit high at stock speeds but is still fine. 

What rpm are you running the pump at and what are you using to test for load temps?

On 4/18/2021 at 5:22 PM, Idosho1 said:

The 360mm should perform a bit better but the other two may be a side / downgrade.