3080 Ti shipment spotted in the wild - 12 GB VRAM

tikker

Summary

In a GPU shipment to the US a pallet of cards labeled as GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC have been spotted.

MSI-GeForce-RTX-3080-Ti-VENTUS-3X-1-768x

Quotes

A shipment of new MSI graphics cards is heading to Los Angeles. Large boxes with GeForce RTX 3080, RTX 3090, Radeon RX 580, and even GeForce GT 710 are heading to the USA. Interestingly one of the boxes also features yet unreleased GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3X OC mode[l].

My thoughts

It hasn't been officially announced, but if shipments are out there it can't be long. I haven't kept up super detailed with all the rumours, but this also lays speculation about the amount of VRAM to rest, which seems to have landed on 12 GB per card. I think this is a nice middleground. The 24 GB of the 3090 would be overkill, but the extra 2 GB will be nice for high resolution gaming.

Sources

https://videocardz.com/newz/msi-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-ventus-3x-12gb-spotted-during-transit

https://tweakers.net/nieuws/180624/foto-toont-pallet-met-msi-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-12gb-videokaarten.html (for the Dutchies)

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Just now, tikker said:

but the extra 4 GB will be nice for high resolution gaming.

3080's already come with 10GB. This is only a 2GB boost.

I would have preferred 16GB of VRAM, to "compete" with the RX 6800, 6800 XT, and 6900 XT.

elephants

4 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

I would have preferred 16GB of VRAM, to "compete" with the RX 6800, 6800 XT, and 6900 XT.

It depends on the memory bus.

The memory bus on the RTX 3080 allows only for 10GB or 20GB.

Seems like the 3080ti shares the same bus with the 3090, hence 12GB or 24GB.

Same reason why RTX 3060 has 12GB, because they decided that 6GB is too low so they had to step up to 12GB.

Just now, FakeKGB said:

Whoops, you are correct. Fixed that. I guess the increased speed of GDDR6X could make up for having 4 GB extra GDDR6. I don't think the 10 GB was already a big issue, but 12 GB is nice for "future proofing".

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Meanwhile even less to go around

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

2 hours ago, Moonzy said:

The performance gap between 3080 and 3090 is small enough, I wonder how it would slot in

I'd wager it's 3090 level, but half the VRAM

and with close to 3090 pricing no doubt 🤣

6 minutes ago, SADS said:

and with close to 3090 pricing no doubt 🤣

That's also something I'm interested to know

Will they price the MSRP according to market price? Then adjust it as situation eases.

Or will they put a more "realistic" MSRP (I'd wager $999) and let the free market have a go at it like other cards, and profit less

Because 3080 is going for $2000 easily nowadays, but if 3080ti is bad for mining, the price may be lower, but the initial price will be above $2000 probably

Just like how 3070 was priced lower than 3060ti for a brief period because it's slightly better at mining, now they're both priced the same (albeit you won't find any 3060ti in stock, haven't seen any since December)

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Large boxes with GeForce RTX 3080, RTX 3090, Radeon RX 580, and even GeForce GT 710 are heading to the USA.

Finally some good affordable graphics cards. 

Is releasing new SKUs when you can't fulfill the demands for existing one really a good idea?

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

4 minutes ago, Fatih19 said:

Is releasing new SKUs when you can't fulfill the demands for existing one really a good idea?

Hmm...

How many people that wouldn't grab a GPU would suddenly be interested in a 3080ti though?

Overall demand should still be the same, and their overall output should still be the same

They can release lower tier sku that uses smaller dies so they can produce more GPU, that may help the situation if it's the shortages of dies is affecting the supply, but since they're manufacturing 3090 anyways, I don't see why adding 3080ti would change much of anything at all.

Tbh i don't see a market for the 3080Ti, but then again as long as it's a GPU it's going to sell out. 10GB is enough, even for 4K gaming (spkeaing out of my own experience here) and with 12GB people will still cry all about how it's not enough and go AMD with their 16GB noone needs instead (if they can find the even rared RX6000 specimen). And they don't have a big space in between the 3080 and 3090 where it could fit in. It's going to end up as a "pay 50% more, get 5% more" type card compared to the 3080 again.

They could sell them for $800 MSRP and the market would bring them up to $2000 only seconds after launch. Or they could start right at $2000 MSRP (to be more realistic) and the market would instantly bring it up to $3000+. It's exaggerated, (or not) but i think you get my point. Manufacturer pricing doesn't mean anything to the consumer in today's market when it comes to GPUs. In the end you can safely bet it will be instantly sold out at launch and then impossible to get for the foreseeable future for anyone who doesn't want to spend hours, days or months running after every "in-stock" notification trying to snatch one.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Scalper bots are just drooling lube to get their grubby little clamps on these.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

49 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Tbh i don't see a market for the 3080Ti, but then again as long as it's a GPU it's going to sell out. 10GB is enough, even for 4K gaming (spkeaing out of my own experience here) and with 12GB people will still cry all about how it's not enough and go AMD with their 16GB noone needs instead (if they can find the even rared RX6000 specimen). And they don't have a big space in between the 3080 and 3090 where it could fit in. It's going to end up as a "pay 50% more, get 5% more" type card compared to the 3080 again.

They could sell them for $800 MSRP and the market would bring them up to $2000 only seconds after launch. Or they could start right at $2000 MSRP (to be more realistic) and the market would instantly bring it up to $3000+. It's exaggerated, (or not) but i think you get my point. Manufacturer pricing doesn't mean anything to the consumer in today's market when it comes to GPUs. In the end you can safely bet it will be instantly sold out at launch and then impossible to get for the foreseeable future for anyone who doesn't want to spend hours, days or months running after every "in-stock" notification trying to snatch one.

Well, I for one would consider it if I were to find it at MSRP.

13 hours ago, WereCat said:

It depends on the memory bus.

The memory bus on the RTX 3080 allows only for 10GB or 20GB.

Seems like the 3080ti shares the same bus with the 3090, hence 12GB or 24GB.

Same reason why RTX 3060 has 12GB, because they decided that 6GB is too low so they had to step up to 12GB.

It's very likely the very same 3090 card but with the smaller VRAM chips. 

https://www.techradar.com/news/your-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3090-might-secretly-be-an-old-rtx-3080-ti

So if you put all the pieces together, one of two things are true:

a) The 3080Ti was rebranded the 3090 due to some part availability issue (eg VRAM)

b) The 3090 is rebranded the 3080Ti due to some part availability issue.

So the only difference between them other than the scratched out GPU die code, is the VRAM amount. 

So who knows, maybe they were binning 3080Ti's from 3090's and changed their mind on the FE units and just sold them all as 3090's and there will be no 3080Ti FE.

Next year we’ll have the rtx 3080ti super gt 13 + 37/90 gb Edition 

I‘m more and more confused about all the rtx3000 cards that exist.

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

18 minutes ago, Drama Lama said:

Next year we’ll have the rtx 3080ti super gt 13 + 37/90 gb Edition 

I‘m more and more confused about all the rtx3000 cards that exist.

I actually think the 3000 lineup us completely fine. The 2000/1600 lineup was very confusing, with cads at every price point. Between 200-300 $ there was about one card for every $10 step.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

32 minutes ago, Kisai said:

It's very likely the very same 3090 card but with the smaller VRAM chips. 

https://www.techradar.com/news/your-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3090-might-secretly-be-an-old-rtx-3080-ti

So if you put all the pieces together, one of two things are true:

a) The 3080Ti was rebranded the 3090 due to some part availability issue (eg VRAM)

b) The 3090 is rebranded the 3080Ti due to some part availability issue.

So the only difference between them other than the scratched out GPU die code, is the VRAM amount. 

So who knows, maybe they were binning 3080Ti's from 3090's and changed their mind on the FE units and just sold them all as 3090's and there will be no 3080Ti FE.

Actually, if it's the exact same die without nerfs, does that mean people can solder on extra VRAM and flash a 3090 vbios onto it?

Assuming it share the same pcb, which I think has a high possibility since cards share the same cooler already

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Actually, if it's the exact same die without nerfs, does that mean people can solder on extra VRAM and flash a 3090 vbios onto it?

Assuming it share the same pcb, which I think has a high possibility since cards share the same cooler already

"Many people" seems a bit optimistic. Changing out RAM chips is not something your average joe can do to upgrade his GPU.

The problem at the moment with how the market is, here in the UK anyway, is that MRSP might as well be a made up number.  I got a Strix OC 3080 on launch day, for MRSP at £850, within 30 mins of the card going on sale the retailer had already increased the price to £900 and then by the time they capped their preorders later in the day it was going for around £950 if I remember correctly.  I was 28th in the queue and my card finally arrived in January.  There are people who ordered cards on day 1 who are still in waitlists and preorder queues with no delivery date in site.  This specific retailer has openly said that buying the cards in is now is costing them between £800-£1100 depending on model due to various factors such as silicon shortage and increased import cost due to brexit.  So every preorder they fulfill they are making a £200-£300 loss on.  Last time I saw a Strix OC 3080 go on sale over here it was for the same price a 3090 did on launch day.  So the idea of an MRSP between a 3080 and 3090 around the £1000-£1200 mark would be great, But realistically the actual retail likely to end up falling just above the original MRSP of the 3090. 

Guess I'm waiting for the next gen to finally upgrade from my 980 Ti.  I'm sure once the direct storage API lands, 12 GB is going to evaporate pretty quickly.  Oh well.  The way things are shaping up, next gen should be great.

Waiting for crypto-crash. Once the RTX 40 series hits, GPUs will rain from the sky like a piñata that's been popped! Crypto being that piñata of course. 😉

5 minutes ago, CivBase said:

I'm sure once the direct storage API lands, 12 GB is going to evaporate pretty quickly.

I would think that because it can load assets from storage directly, they don't need to store as much assets in VRAM (?)

I guess it depends on how the devs use it

5 hours ago, Moonzy said:

That's also something I'm interested to know

Will they price the MSRP according to market price? Then adjust it as situation eases.

Or will they put a more "realistic" MSRP (I'd wager $999) and let the free market have a go at it like other cards, and profit less

Because 3080 is going for $2000 easily nowadays, but if 3080ti is bad for mining, the price may be lower, but the initial price will be above $2000 probably

Just like how 3070 was priced lower than 3060ti for a brief period because it's slightly better at mining, now they're both priced the same (albeit you won't find any 3060ti in stock, haven't seen any since December)

id wager that the 3080ti would be better at mining, but not worth it for 300$ more better. Just because the memory bus would be wider.

45 minutes ago, CivBase said:

Guess I'm waiting for the next gen to finally upgrade from my 980 Ti.  I'm sure once the direct storage API lands, 12 GB is going to evaporate pretty quickly.  Oh well.  The way things are shaping up, next gen should be great.

direct storage shouldnt affect this......

It just allows the data from the drive to be gotten to the gpu even faster, not keeping more files on the vram.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

id wager that the 3080ti would be better at mining

the nerf