Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Have I just killed my motherboard?

Just been moving my pc around to try and move an air bubble out of the cpu block when a spare metal EK plug fell onto the motherboard. PC hard turned off and wont turn back on, I've disconnected the power for 10 minutes and held the power button down to drain the power, I've popped the cmos battery out. When reconnecting the power the motherboard RGB lights come on and the start and reset buttons light up but the PC wont turn on.

 

Guessing I've killed the board? The metal plug landed around the internal usb headers are, anyone got any ideas or do i need to start shopping for a new board?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you see any damage where the block hit the board?

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Do you see any damage where the block hit the board?

Can't see any damage but I did see it spark when it hit

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nick980 said:

Can't see any damage but I did see it spark when it hit

Sparks are not good signs.

I'd pull the mobo out of the case, put it on a phonebook, add just the things needed to POST (cpu/cooler, 1 stick RAM, GPU, PSU, nothing else), and see if you can get it to POST, if it doesn't POST, then yeah it's probably toast.

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Radium_Angel said:

Sparks are not good signs.

I'd pull the mobo out of the case, put it on a phonebook, add just the things needed to POST (cpu/cooler, 1 stick RAM, GPU, PSU, nothing else), and see if you can get it to POST, if it doesn't POST, then yeah it's probably toast.

Aye, will give that a try tomorrow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Nick980 said:

Can't see any damage but I did see it spark when it hit

Sounds bad.

I wouldn't be sure what's dead if something's dead.

I'd try out everything that can be, similar to what Radium is proposing

Link to post
Share on other sites

So pulled the motherboard out this morning, no obvious signs of damage at the bottom of the board where the sparks happened, still wont start up (didnt expect it to) but bit of playing around I think the bios flashback tool is working so not sure now if it'll be the board thats dead or the CPU thats fired, or (god please no) both are dead )

 

20210419_114529.thumb.jpg.0555f2a5ae750e9ada583f3531e80461.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×