Have I just killed my motherboard?

Nick980

Just been moving my pc around to try and move an air bubble out of the cpu block when a spare metal EK plug fell onto the motherboard. PC hard turned off and wont turn back on, I've disconnected the power for 10 minutes and held the power button down to drain the power, I've popped the cmos battery out. When reconnecting the power the motherboard RGB lights come on and the start and reset buttons light up but the PC wont turn on.

Guessing I've killed the board? The metal plug landed around the internal usb headers are, anyone got any ideas or do i need to start shopping for a new board?

Do you see any damage where the block hit the board?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Do you see any damage where the block hit the board?

Can't see any damage but I did see it spark when it hit

1 minute ago, Nick980 said:

Sparks are not good signs.

I'd pull the mobo out of the case, put it on a phonebook, add just the things needed to POST (cpu/cooler, 1 stick RAM, GPU, PSU, nothing else), and see if you can get it to POST, if it doesn't POST, then yeah it's probably toast.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

Sparks are not good signs.

I'd pull the mobo out of the case, put it on a phonebook, add just the things needed to POST (cpu/cooler, 1 stick RAM, GPU, PSU, nothing else), and see if you can get it to POST, if it doesn't POST, then yeah it's probably toast.

Aye, will give that a try tomorrow.

20 minutes ago, Nick980 said:

Sounds bad.

I wouldn't be sure what's dead if something's dead.

I'd try out everything that can be, similar to what Radium is proposing

I'm willing to swim against the current.

So pulled the motherboard out this morning, no obvious signs of damage at the bottom of the board where the sparks happened, still wont start up (didnt expect it to) but bit of playing around I think the bios flashback tool is working so not sure now if it'll be the board thats dead or the CPU thats fired, or (god please no) both are dead )

20210419_114529.thumb.jpg.0555f2a5ae750e9ada583f3531e80461.jpg