Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Our Craziest Cooling Project Yet

How do we unview this for YouTube purposes? No one should get credit for this lazy endeavor for an audience that deserves more.  Maybe don’t showcase your fabrication facilities if you are going to ignore them and use tape and rags.

11 minutes ago, posterChild said:

How do we unview this for YouTube purposes? No one should get credit for this lazy endeavor for an audience that deserves more.  Maybe don’t showcase your fabrication facilities if you are going to ignore them and use tape and rags.

Yah, how dare videos not take 10x as long to produce and cost tens of thousands of dollars!!! I want my money back!

You realize the tape and rags was to STOP THE LEAKING and not hold it together right?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I've got a dead dehumidified in my basement I've been meaning to cut up, but the radiator in it is a serpentine flow pipe and fin which typically has poor flow for PC water cooling.

I'm sure I'll have some solid insights once I finish watching the video, but this is something I've been wondering about doing since you can get a pretty basic cross flow car radiator or fluid cooler in large sizes for fairly cheap. An AC condenser may be a better choice, thinner but cross flow and closer to the hose sizes in a cooling loop.

So have they never heard of rubber PVC pipe couplers, then pipe caps, and threaded fittings? Like $20 in hardware store parts would have given them a solid leak free connection at the radiator necks. For shame @AlexTheGreatish you should know better, turn in your maker badge and hot glue gun. Linus gets a pass because he's a derp, but you guys need someone on staff that knows something about cars.

Yeah, the 8020 thing, where it's 80% brains and 20% effort for a job done right??? Except today you were at 20% caffeine-deprived brains and 80% silly effort.

But then I guess it wouldn't have been called a "crazy video" if you had just ordered a MO-RA3 420 external PC radiator that takes standard G1/4 fittings and thrown on 18 of those 3000RPM Noctua Industrial 140mm fans in push/pull.

Hey, if the goal was to create some real entertainment value you can always upgrade to those 38mm thick finger-chopping Deltas :old-tongue::old-tongue::old-tongue:

Maybe next time you can have Aquatuning and Digi-Key sponsor the video and give you guys the proper gear for it as well.

2 hours ago, Lurick said:

Yah, how dare videos not take 10x as long to produce and cost tens of thousands of dollars!!! I want my money back!

You realize the tape and rags was to STOP THE LEAKING and not hold it together right?

Yes.  As stated, I watched the video and want to un-watch it.  I'm not sure you understand that the copious leaking was sort of what was wrong with this video.  Having the same guys who take a diamond play button and jam a NUC into take an afternoon to shove rags and LTT merch into a leaking innertube band-aid in a project that clearly wasn't given enough thought or time is sort of a waste for everyone involved.  Jack-holes doing computers badly is real easy to find on the Internets.  That's not what LTT has done and I, for one, am actually interested in how well a properly MacGyver'd car radiator would perform.  Or, oh, I don't know... maybe use some of the computer aided fabrication equipment in their fancy workshop to fab up some stuff and inspire people to do a bonkers build with a car radiator.

But yeah, feel free to defend their sub-par video because of *my* expectation that they meet their own quality standards.

3 hours ago, Luscious said:

Yeah, the 8020 thing, where it's 80% brains and 20% effort for a job done right??? Except today you were at 20% caffeine-deprived brains and 80% silly effort.

But then I guess it wouldn't have been called a "crazy video" if you had just ordered a MO-RA3 420 external PC radiator that takes standard G1/4 fittings and thrown on 18 of those 3000RPM Noctua Industrial 140mm fans in push/pull.

Hey, if the goal was to create some real entertainment value you can always upgrade to those 38mm thick finger-chopping Deltas :old-tongue::old-tongue::old-tongue:

Maybe next time you can have Aquatuning and Digi-Key sponsor the video and give you guys the proper gear for it as well.

THIS. 

If most of the cost of the project was labor (4 people at 4 hours each at $20/hr = $320 on labor - probably more like 500-1000 though) then you'd have been better off with the RA3. Also lower risk of component death. 

Either that or go full on and get a copper home "heating" radiator. (presuming that works, I haven't done my due dilligence - I'd imagine something designed to transfer ~1000-2000W heat passively would work very well - would act as a huge reservoir as well)

R9 3900x; 64GB RAM | RTX 2080 | 1.5TB Optane P4800x

1TB ADATA XPG Pro 8200 SSD | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD
HD800 + SCHIIT VALI | Topre Realforce Keyboard

10 hours ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

On today's episode of Linus Tech Tips the gang gets more wet than usual!

Buy an AIO CPU Cooler (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/8ydYvy

Buy some Noctua Fans (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/4d7Q2

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

20 minutes of prep and a solid dose of waterproof epoxy putty would have gone a long way. 

81apLYpegrL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Why not simply buy a electric radiator fan.use radiator hoses and reducers and make it a closed loop to see what it can actually do

As a mechanic I've seen worse attempts at attaching hoses and stoppings leaks...

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

This is one of the rare LTT videos that I don't like. The project just looks rushed and over-dramatized.

I expect a LTT video to be educational and show how things are done. This isn't the case here.

Why continue to add water if it's leaking ? Fix the leaking problems first.

The video is entertaining, with the "omg it's a disaster, it's leaking everywhere" panic.

But I expect that kind of stuff in a competition where the time is limited, for example a scrapyard wars video or a live stream, not in a usual LTT video.

I can’t believe an engineer doesn’t know two soft tubes will never connect to each other leak free without using a hard inter-connector, at the very least glue them together using strong waterproof glue!

This is just wayyy too lazy.

Found this while looking for something unrelated

A131DD9B-19F2-41C2-8C3B-C919076429B5.jpeg

Please keep in mind:

I may be stupid.

I also think that it looks rushed, I am sure Alex can do much better than that. Fixing the leaks is something that should obviously have been done before. Some people even test their loops with air (and an appropriate pump) before filling them with water, which avoids dangerous oopsies.
Comparing temperatures with the previous setup is also problematic, since there is no way that thermal equilibrium was reached due to the large amount of water present in the loop (and the constant need for refilling doesn't help either...).

11 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Interesting idea, how loud are those?

Same as your central air conditioner, can be quieter than your computer. These are very expensive though.

34 minutes ago, Sorachan said:

Same as your central air conditioner, can be quieter than your computer. These are very expensive though.

Well you can probably grab a scrap air conditioner indoor unit for free and use that 🙂

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX3080, 2TB NVMe SSD, 2x16TB HDD RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB NVMe SSD RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

GPD Win 2

Did anyone recognize the PC case they were using?

I CBA to read all the comments so someone has probably already said this (or something similar). 

While I have an understanding that this video was made more for shits and giggles they could at least have made some good improvised fittings so all the water didn't leak out. I mean they have an entire workshop where they could manufacture more "proper" nipples that you would be able to get leak free. 

Also with that amount of surface area they probably would be able to run the computer completely without fans and gotten "OK" cooling. 

But it felt rushed and something more in the veins of channel super fun than main channel material. 

I can't be the only one thinking you should have used a few reducing couplers.

14 hours ago, Lurick said:

Oh yeah because that worked out great, didn't it?

6 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

Oh yeah because that worked out great, didn't it?

I mean "the hardware survived" so by their success criteria it worked-ish 😛

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I see the vision you guys were going for, but...spend more time on projects than this. Shouting "REFILL IT!" over and over isn't appealing. Jank is fine, but stop, fix the leaks, and do a proper test. Use proper fittings. Yes, I know that means it gets done on Monday after a trip to Autozone for some proper water pipe fittings, but meh. I'd rather than then this nonsense. I actually downvoted this video on youtube purely because it was so over the top. Seriously guys, put a little more effort and time into the videos.

Yeah... I guess this was more meant to be a 'fun' video than anything else, but the level of jank was just too much for me. I think it would've been interesting to see what effect the overkill radiator would've had. But the incredibly bad and rushed implementation mean the results (if you can even call it that) are useless. (As Linus said himself, the biggest cooling effect most likely came from replacing that much water all the time)

Projects like this can be fun without half-assing them, especially considering the really talented people and workspace you have available. If you don't have the time to properly do it maybe do something else? You must (or at least should) have some easy to do emergency video ideas for cases just like this.