CPU V-core voltages for 3900X

Guys,which sofware is the most accurate to measure current CPU core voltage?

I'm having 3 different  values from all 3 software, CoreTemp, Ryzen Master and CPU-Z.

I've set voltage to manual 1.2 V but why do I get higher values?

Screen Shot 03-22-21 at 09.26 AM.PNG

Screen Shot 03-22-21 at 09.24 AM.PNG

Screen Shot 03-22-21 at 09.30 AM.PNG

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

8 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Guys,which sofware is the most accurate to measure current CPU core voltage?

I'm having 3 different  values from all 3 software, CoreTemp, Ryzen Master and CPU-Z.

I've set voltage to manual 1.2 V but why do I get higher values?

Screen Shot 03-22-21 at 09.26 AM.PNG

Screen Shot 03-22-21 at 09.24 AM.PNG

Screen Shot 03-22-21 at 09.30 AM.PNG

even though its not on this list i would sugjest hwinfo but out of every program on this list use ryzen master due to it being made by amd and being able to support the more advanced algorithms of the ryzen cpu's

Main Pc: CPU: ryzen 5 5600x  Motherboard: Msi b450 gaming plus max  RAM: 32gb corsair vengeance ddr4 3200mhz ram  GPU: Nvidia rtx 2070 SUPER 8gb Case:  cooler master td500   PSU: corsair 750watt bronze80+  Cooling: Kraken x53 aio Storagewdblack snd750,3tb wd blue hdd

2nd Pc: CPU: ryzen 5 3600 Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-Gaming 3  RAM: 16gb 3000mhz gskill Aegis  GPU: Nvidia gtx 1650super 4gb  Case: Cooler Master MasterBox MB311L ARGB Airflow PSU: corsair cx 550watt 80+ bronze Cooling: Vetroo V5 CPU Air Cooler Storage: adata su635 240gb ssd, seagate 750gb 7200rpm hdd

3rd pc CPU: i7 2600 Motherboard: asus H61M-E  RAM: 16 gb ddr3 1333mhz GPU: nvidia gtx 1060 3gb Case: thermaltake versa h18 PSU: evga 450watt 80+ bronze Cooling: Cooler Master I70C (Copper Core) Mini CPU Cooler Storage: crucial mx 500 500gb ssd, wd blue 1tb 7200rpm hdd 

• 4 weeks later...

Guys,I've set manual voltage in BIOS tu 1.25 V long time ago,but I still see that CPU works at increased voltage of as high as 1.47 V.

Why is that,what is the issue?

3 different programs report 3 different values.

So at what voltage my CPU works now?

Screen Shot 04-18-21 at 02.32 PM.PNG

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

I would just run it @ stock and not worry.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

1 minute ago, freeagent said:

I would just run it @ stock and not worry.

I worry because 1.47 V is too high for 3900X,and why does it report if I set the voltage manually?

I would look at a better cooler if you weren't willing to sell your CPU. You have threads on this already..

6 minutes ago, frozensun said:

I worry because 1.47 V is too high for 3900X,and why does it report if I set the voltage manually?

For the 3900X, the max safe voltage is 1.325V.

Yes you are correct that 1.47 is dangerously high. However, it is a common number that is shown when the voltages are not set manually, but left on auto. If everything is at stock (auto), when the processor is idling the voltage will show a higher value. When the processor is under moderate or full load, the VCORE will droop back to a safer value. First thing to do is to recheck is if you are in fact running a manual overclock with a manual voltage set. If you have PBO enabled, this can sometimes interfere with the manual settings depending on the motherboard's BIOS implementation so I suggest disabling it. 

Another reason for this discrepancy in the numbers is probably due to the fact each program measures the VCORE a bit differently. I personally wouldn't rely on CoreTemp for accurate voltages. Check with CPU-Z and HWiNFO instead. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

I wouldn't even leave my 3600XT at 1.325 for extended periods on all workloads, even that is too much imo. I would say between 1.25-1.3v if you were to handle things manually.

I don't use windows for bios related stuff, so when I say manually, I mean in the bios.

1 hour ago, Analog said:

Yes you are correct that 1.47 is dangerously high. However, it is a common number that is shown when the voltages are not set manually, but left on auto. If everything is at stock (auto), when the processor is idling the voltage will show a higher value. When the processor is under moderate or full load, the VCORE will droop back to a safer value. First thing to do is to recheck is if you are in fact running a manual overclock with a manual voltage set. If you have PBO enabled, this can sometimes interfere with the manual settings depending on the motherboard's BIOS implementation so I suggest disabling it. 

Another reason for this discrepancy in the numbers is probably due to the fact each program measures the VCORE a bit differently. I personally wouldn't rely on CoreTemp for accurate voltages. Check with CPU-Z and HWiNFO instead. 

I've set voltage to manual 1.25 V.

I wrote that in first post.

1 hour ago, Analog said:

In my case it's doing exact opposite,when in idle the cpu gets 1.47 V but in loads lower values.

1 hour ago, Analog said:

Can you please reference where you get this information? That seems like some kind of almost internet average, but isn't accurate per chip.

AGAIN, I will post this in yet another thread. At some point, hopefully someone catches on.....

How to find max v-core for your FIT at max load and is the voltage your Cpu should be run while manually overclocking. (or less)

PBO on, all other Cpu settings auto. Run Prime95 128k FFT,  in-place unchecked and watch the SVI2 TFN (v-core) sensor. What that reads at load, that will be your FIT voltage.

Shrimp helped me find my FIT voltage the exact same way in someone else's thread, worked great and seems pretty bang on. I am slightly above my fit voltage and can barely keep it cool under the most intensive loads. But for everything else its fine 😄

Just now, freeagent said:

Shrimp helped me find my FIT voltage the exact same way in someone else's thread, worked great and seems pretty bang on. I am slightly above my fit voltage and can barely keep it cool under the most intensive loads. But for everything else its fine 😄

I just want to accurately help without people getting early degradation on their daily rigs man. 

1.250v is probably a good place to be with a manual overclock like frozensun has going in this thread. It's a good OC IMO.

25 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Can you please reference where you get this information? That seems like some kind of almost internet average, but isn't accurate per chip.

AGAIN, I will post this in yet another thread. At some point, hopefully someone catches on.....

How to find max v-core for your FIT at max load and is the voltage your Cpu should be run while manually overclocking. (or less)

PBO on, all other Cpu settings auto. Run Prime95 128k FFT,  in-place unchecked and watch the SVI2 TFN (v-core) sensor. What that reads at load, that will be your FIT voltage.

1.325V might not be "accurate" for absolutely all chips out there, but it is fairly well established and commonly accepted median value.  Even the heat produced by the processor running at this voltage is enough to overwhelm a lot of the mainstream CPU coolers if the processor is under full load. I am not saying that he should rung the processor at 1.325V, I am saying that he shouldn't exceed this value. If he manages to get a stable overclock with lower voltage, that would be great. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

6 minutes ago, Analog said:

1.325V might not be "accurate" for absolutely all chips out there, but it is fairly well established and commonly accepted median value.  Even the heat produced by the processor running at this voltage is enough to overwhelm a lot of the mainstream CPU coolers if the processor is under full load.  

That mainstream average came from a particular OC thread at OverClock.Net. I'm very super well aware of how this all came about.

But, nobody has taken the time to read the thread, while TheStilt, a very renown overclocker, had experienced degradation at less than 1.3v, but also admits to much heavier loads than most people commonly test with (like Cinebench). 

The Internet average is just not accurate. Most of these chips are stable 4.2-4.4ghz on less than 1.3v. So there's no reason to reach for that 1/2 percent extra performance which you could find elsewhere in your system. 

19 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Shrimp but all 3 software are reading around 1.47 V as you caan see on screenshot.

I set manual voltage to 1.25 V then why doesn't it stop at max 1.25 V?

I don't want my CPU to get  >1.25 V.

25 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

oh okay.let me try this,hold on, will report back.

3 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Shrimp but all 3 software are reading around 1.47 V as you caan see on screenshot.

I set manual voltage to 1.25 V then why doesn't it stop at max 1.25 V?

I don't want my CPU to get  >1.25 V.

CPU-Z is reading the actual used voltage.

The VID is a processor request votlage which is ignored when you manually over-volt. But does display the max boost VID, in short, it has to display something, so it does.

your Cpu never hit 1.4v. It actually has a little v-droop there with cpu-z reading 1.205v under load I assume that screen shot was.

I think with loads such as Linpack Extreme or P95 on manual overclocks over 1.25v can possibly be dangerous. I haven't degraded my chip yet, but I know it doesn't appreciate those loads. But to be fair.. PBO is using higher vcore at lower clocks than I am with similar temps. So I think a little over FIT is ok. Maybe. 3 year warranty I guess we will find out 😄

Your chip has a 142w power package restriction. Just an FYI there. The Cpu will not boost past this at defaults.

4 minutes ago, freeagent said:

I think with loads such as Linpack Extreme or P95 on manual overclocks over 1.25v can possibly be dangerous. I haven't degraded my chip yet, but I know it doesn't appreciate those loads. But to be fair.. PBO is using higher vcore at lower clocks than I am with similar temps. So I think a little over FIT is ok. Maybe. 3 year warranty I guess we will find out 😄

Hopefully in 3 years you will have upgraded. Pretty sure that's what AMD banks on with that little 3 year warranty on a Cpu rated MTBF of 100,000 hours. wink wink 😉 

32 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

OK,I got this,what now?

Screen Shot 04-18-21 at 05.14 PM.PNG

Man that cooler is disappointing, and is the source of your problems in my opinion.

7 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

CPU-Z is reading the actual used voltage.

The VID is a processor request votlage which is ignored when you manually over-volt. But does display the max boost VID, in short, it has to display something, so it does.

your Cpu never hit 1.4v. It actually has a little v-droop there with cpu-z reading 1.205v under load I assume that screen shot was.

Let me make this simple,because I really don't understand all this.

If I set the manual voltage to 1.25 V my CPU works at 1.25 V,and that is it,right?

But again I don't understand why Ryzen Master which is it's own AMD software report that CPU works at 1.47 V?

Just now, frozensun said:

OK,I got this,what now?

I dunno... 

Looks good to me. 

Is it stable? All core loads and temps are good?