High liquid temps with 2x360mm rads

Hi all,

I just built my first custom loop using Corsair Hydro X products.

My (relevant) specs are the following:

R7 5800X --> Corsair XC7 Block

3080 FE --> Corsair XG7 Block

2x Corsair XR7 Radiators (360mm)

9x Corsair SP120 Fans

LianLi O11 Dynamic

I use 10/13mm soft tubing with corsair XF fittings.

For coolant I use EK CryoFuel Solid.

One rad is on top as an exhaust.

The other one is mounted on the side as an intake.

Additionally there are 3 more fans at the bottom as intake.

The loop order goes like this:

Pump-->GPU-->CPU-->Rad-->Rad->Reservoir

While gaming my CPU reaches about 70°C max and my GPU sits around 57°C.

Are these acceptable temps considering I use dual 360mm rads?

My liquid temp while gaming can go up as high as 47°C.

This is what I don't really understand. Is this normal considering my ambient temperature is 23°C?

Man fancurve already is pretty aggressive I think.

When the coolant reaches 40°C my fans spin at 1200RPM.

But still the temp rises up until around 47°C.

Is this a normal behaviour or have I made some kind of mistake?

If I am understanding you properly, the cool liquid flows into the GPU, which then pulls out hot liquid, which then goes into the CPU?

Because there's your problem right there, hot water in, isn't going to help the CPU cool down any, but all the same 70 max isn't a bad thing under load

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Wouldn't you want to do reservoir, pump, rad, GPU, rad, CPU, so that coolant can cool between components? What's your pump RPM yet

@Radium_AngelI've not water cooled yet, but to me it makes sense to think of it like an engine. You go from rad to cooler components to hotter components so that everything gets cooling.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Wouldn't you want to do reservoir, pump, rad, GPU, rad, CPU, so that coolant can cool between components? What's your pump RPM yet

@Radium_AngelI've not water cooled yet, but to me it makes sense to think of it like an engine. You go from rad to cooler components to hotter components so that everything gets cooling.

Neither have I, but I believe you are correct when you say from GPU to rad, then to CPU, allowing the water to cool first before going on to the next component. But I wasn't sure I was reading the OP correctly (doped to the gills right now because of side-effect from 2nd covid shot, so I'm unsure of anything right now)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Actually the loop order does not matter when talking aboubt PC watercooling.

The flowrate is way too high for the order to make a difference.

my pump runs at 2800RPM.

23 hours ago, maniii96 said:

Actually the loop order does not matter when talking aboubt PC watercooling.

The flowrate is way too high for the order to make a difference.

my pump runs at 2800RPM.

I think 47 is quite hot for 1200 rpm, I would blame either the SP120 fans, which are a bit old performance wise, or consider the airflow direction. I would advise to put all radiators on exhaust so that the heat is thrown directly out of the chassis, and then to have unobstructed intakes to replenish cool air into the case.

3 hours ago, For Science! said:

I think 47 is quite hot for 1200 rpm, I would blame either the SP120 fans, which are a bit old performance wise, or consider the airflow direction. I would advise to put all radiators on exhaust so that the heat is thrown directly out of the chassis, and then to have unobstructed intakes to replenish cool air into the case.

Thank you, I now have flipped the side mounted fans so they function as an exhaust.

This brought down the temperatures around 7°C.

GPU sits at around 50 which I would consider fine but CPU reaches 76.

2 minutes ago, maniii96 said:

Thank you, I now have flipped the side mounted fans so they function as an exhaust.

This brought down the temperatures around 7°C.

GPU sits at around 50 which I would consider fine but CPU reaches 76.

Yeah, due to GPU waterblocks being direct-die cooling it is easier to reap the benefits of liquid cooling than with CPUs that still have to go through the IHS. So outside of relatively obvious things like tightening the mounting screws a little bit more, or an even better paste (I wouldn't do liquid metal); you are in niche territory that include but not limited to:

- Offset mounting the waterblock based on chiplet location (see der8auer's kits for AM4)

- Lapping of heatsink and IHS

- Delidding (not recommended due to solder, but yeah, its an option)

Other than that of course lowering the voltage and manually tuning the OC settings if any would be by far the easiest way to drop CPU temps.