Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Motherboard for Core 2 Duo E8435 salvaged from iMac

I recently got two early 2008 iMacs equipped with Core 2 Duos (specifically, a E8435 and a E8235). One of the iMacs doesn't seem to work at all (although the cpu seems to be fine), while the other one has the GPU issue where it needs to be replaced or baked.

My problem is, is there a way to reuse these CPUs, particularly the E8435, since I'm not planning on restoring the iMacs, considered that they're technically "mobile" processors? Will I be able to find a motherboard that supports them?

Main: Lenovo Legion T530-28ICB (Intel Core i5-8400, 16 GB RAM 2666 MHz, RTX 2060, Snowman MT6S Cpu Cooler, Windows 10)

Dedicated Server: Dell Optiplex 7020 SFF (Intel Core i5-4590, 16 GB RAM, Snowman Low Profile CPU Cooler, Noctua NF-A8 PWM, Ubuntu Server 20.10)

Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5590 (Intel Core i7-10510U, 20 GB RAM 2400 MHz, Nvidia MX250, Pop!_OS 20.10)

Other: Lenovo Thinkpad X230, Raspberry Pi 4 8 GB

Sure but I don't know why you would want to as well these cpu's (their normal non mac weirdness counterparts) cost pennies at this point and are incredibly slow so I wouldn't know why you'd want to spend money on them/make a system out of it. Just keep them as a novelty item or something they are basically as useful doing that compared to being in a system.

Theoretically? Yes you can.

But at what cost?

Those are (by computing terms) ancient CPUs and will cost you far more in parts to make use of, than they are worth

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

You can reuse the cpu if you can find a motherboard that accept core 2 mobile cpu.

There are one or two motherboard in the past, but you can't find it anywhere right now.

Your best bet would be using a used laptop motherboard.

Ryzen 2600x @ 4.2ghz all cores | Asrock B450M Steel Legend | Radeon RX580 | 4x Samsung 8gb d-die 2133 @ 3200mhz | 500gb Samsung PM981a | 5 TB HDD | Hyper 212 classic w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w