Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It's swap time for me! i3 530 to ???

Hey LLT community, 
I'm really looking forward in seeking your help in getting a new PC for programming.

Budget (including currency): 60,000 INR (~800 USD)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 99% programming (Django, Flask, blah, blah) using text editors(VS Code), and the only game I probably play is Stardew Valley (Great game, sole developer, grinding RPG but the fun kind, it ran off of my integrated graphics).

Other details (Current PC) and Backstory:

• Gigabyte K83 Red Switches (just love them), Logitech G302 mouse (No upgrade needed)
  • Intel i3 530 (Got it at launch)
  • Intel DH55HC motherboard
  • 8GB DDR3 RAM
  • Some Radeon HD graphics card from 12 years ago (For reference, GTA IV used to run smooth on low res)
  • Some off brand 650 watts PSU (At one point, I remember using the computer for almost 5 years without turning off, the power never failed)
  • Plenty of storage (My Xeon x3480, SuperMicro X8SIE-F homelab server has an instance of FreeNAS running) (so a small capacity NVMe m.2 drive maybe?)
  • Running Ubuntu at the moment.

Even after getting a Lenovo G50 half a decade back and a Macbook Air about a couple of years ago, I almost always went back to work on the computer. This computer is so close to my heart.

But recently start to feel it falling apart, it randomly just freezes (I just know it's because of the RAM sticks, but I really can't do anything about it as there's no availability of compatible RAM sticks in the market), thermals are a significantly better after I got a new Antec A30 but it just doesn't work smoothly.

I would prefer fan cooling, preferably NO RGB at all, all black case, USB-C somewhere in the mobo, doesn't matter if wifi or not. Planning to try out WSL on Windows, but mostly I will be sticking to Linux.

Thanks in advance! 🙂

maybe look at upgrading your whole motherboard, ram and cpu?

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

7 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

maybe look at upgrading your whole motherboard, ram and cpu?

Thanks for replying 😄
Wouldn't I need a BIOS update? Also, how can one tell if a motherboard does need a bios update for Ryzen processors?

I can't find the CM MasterBox MBX520 in the market 😕 Any other case you might suggest?

25 minutes ago, copvict said:

Wouldn't I need a BIOS update? Also, how can one tell if a motherboard does need a bios update for Ryzen processors?

not really, most boards are updated, if you do most boards have a bios flash button.

26 minutes ago, copvict said:

I can't find the CM MasterBox MBX520 in the market 😕 Any other case you might suggest?

I really like the meshify c, but theres many other cases on the market, just look and find one you like with decent reviews.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Here, I've made this list for you. Find the best prices you can from wherever you buy, I haven't added a GPU, as you don't game, the iGPU in the CPU should be enough for you, I hope.

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
Memory Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ₹10939.52 @ Newegg India
Storage Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ₹13013.36 @ Newegg India
Custom Corsair Carbide SPEC-05 Mid-Tower Gaming Case ₹3450.00
Custom Corsair CX550 ₹5000.00
Custom Gigabyte B560M DS3H Motherboard ₹9500.00
Custom Intel Core I5-11500 Processor ₹19300.00
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total ₹61202.88
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-04-18 12:06 IST+0530  

PS: I don't have a ton of experience, when it comes to cases, I just chuck one in there to make sense of the total cost. Most of the costs are taken from MDComputers to get a reasonable price... The SN550 costs around 9k in flipkart and amazon, it keeps on fluctuating, also the RAM should be cheaper.

Attention is what makes life meaningful.

Also, please quote me for a reply. 🙂