105watt max-q 3080 or 140 watt max-p 3070

So I'm on the fence for getting a gaming laptop with either a max-q rtx3080 at 105watts or a max-p rtx3070 at 140watts. Benchmarks I've seen show that the 3080 performs 5 to 15 percent better give or take frame rate wise in more games, but in some games the 3070 potentially outperforms the 3080. We are also talking 8 gig vram 3070 vs 16 gig vram 3080, which makes me think of future proof value.

Anyone have experience with this? Or advice?

All other specs are roughly the same between laptops I'm considering. Including price, which is not the issue.

What are the models?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

13 minutes ago, genexis_x said:

What are the models?

MSI Dragon Tiamat 3070 edition or a sager p70ds I think it is(Modified with better thermal paste and professional application, I am aware of their reputation for poorly applied thermal paste.). My current laptop is an msi gf75 something or other with a gtx1060, which has reached it's limits, but can still play Cyberpunk 2077 fairly well. Max-p 3070 in title* autocorrect messed it up once again 🙂

I am also aware that the bios can potentially be flashed to allow higher tdp possibly stable up to 165 or more watts for the 3080 but I've never messed with a max q tdp limited chip before... also sager supplies only a 180 watt power adapter so I'd have toupgrade, where as the Tiamat comes with a 230 watt adapter obviously to give the power necessary for the max-p 3070.

13 minutes ago, DanielMason said:

sager p70ds

Can't find this model. Do you mean Clevo PC50?

14 minutes ago, DanielMason said:

MSI Dragon Tiamat 3070 edition

GE76?

FYI 125-140w 3070M is faster than 90-105w 3080M. MSI gaming laptops are generally overpriced, you can get a decent 3070 125-140w laptop for less price.

19 minutes ago, DanielMason said:

We are also talking 8 gig vram 3070 vs 16 gig vram 3080, which makes me think of future proof value

To me it's only useful for professional workloads that eats VRAM

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

17 minutes ago, genexis_x said:

Can't find this model. Do you mean Clevo PC50?

GE76?

FYI 125-140w 3070M is faster than 90-105w 3080M. MSI gaming laptops are generally overpriced, you can get a decent 3070 125-140w laptop for less price.

To me it's only useful for professional workloads that eats VRAM

I've looked around a fair bit. From what I've seen the Tiamat is a pretty good price considering build quality and component quality across the board, unless you have a suggestion? I was shopping between 1200 and 2700 dollars initially, but I'd prefer to spend the extra since I require at least 2tb storage and while 16 gigs ram would be okay I like the idea of 32 gigs for playing large open world games as they come out in the future. 2080 super or 3070 max-p are the minimum I've settled on. Screen refresh rates in gaming laptops doesn't seem to be an issue since any new high end ones come with at least 144hz, soon 120hz 4k(which I'd use when using my 75 inch tv as a display, otherwise 4k is a bit overkill for me).

So where should I look that supplies to the U.S.? I've been looking for quite a while considering my options. Also Dell is out of the question(this now including Alienware) and HP is also a bit cringe for me. ASUS and MSI have always served me well and never died or needed major work(minus keyboard replacements for spilled drinks or when my parrot sneaks in and decides the keys and switches belong elsewhere hehe).

10 minutes ago, DanielMason said:

since I require at least 2tb storage and while 16 gigs ram would be okay I like the idea of 32 gigs for playing large open world games as they come out in the future

You can always upgrade them later.

10 minutes ago, DanielMason said:

So where should I look that supplies to the U.S.?

So you're buying in US?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

Just now, genexis_x said:

You can always upgrade them later.

So you're buying in US?

Yes. And yes I can upgrade later but I'd rather not have to. Most of my equipment at this point is 4 to 9 years old.

My tower has a 7970 in it, which is a unicorn in a way since it can still play most new games on medium to high settings at over 50fps. 12 gigs of ram in 6 2 gig sticks should have it doing just fine for a few more years even lol. But not building a new tower in this market.

Rather have a laptop with more mobility but also more power than I may need immediately so when I want to start new projects or get new games I wont have to worry about upgrading for at least another 4 or 5 years. Assuming the laptop doesn't burn itself out. Which is why I want to make sure it has good cooling and quality components.

You answered my question about the 3070 max p vs 3080 max q thing, but now I wanna get an opinion on possibly better options. I will likely be adding more storage if for no other reason than to run raid 0 for laughs, but otherwise I'm pretty set on the other specs. 16 gigs of ram vs 32 is a bit up in the air.

May I know your max budget?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, genexis_x said:

May I know your max 

After reviewing price to performance I've settled on $2,600-$2,700 USD. I'd prefer to spend less. I can get the Tiamat with a discount if I use a wire transfer to avoid card fees imposed on the company. Bringing it down to $2,520 including thermal compound and pad upgrades.

I know people who have paid that for a prebuilt tower with 3060 card, 512gb ssd and 16 gigs ram. I know they got ripped off. Even in this market.

51 minutes ago, DanielMason said:

After reviewing price to performance I've settled on $2,600-$2,700 USD

You can even get 3080 laptop lol.

How long you can wait? Or urgent purchase?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

I can get a 3080 max q laptop as I said. I can wait a few weeks, a month maybe, I was actually gonna buy one last week but the price of the 3080 max q went up 100 bucks then I kinda got annoyed and started looking around some more. I could wait forever technically. It's not like I dont have a good laptop and a good tower. In fact I have another laptop from way back by ASUS that I'm sure still works fine it's just like 13 years old and was a fairly good laptop back then but not made for gaming. Also plenty of old parts lying around that I haven't completely fried yet. What would be ideal is a 165 watt 3080 gpu in a laptop but what I've seen just doesnt seem worth it. Not paying 800 more. Gotta draw the line at some point.