Buying a gaming pc in the market place. Help.

Go to solution Solved by Radium_Angel,

Ok, that NZXT is getting somewhere....that's not a bad build

You can sell off the GPU (the GTX 760) to recoup some money.

The RAM is nice at 32GB.

What, by way of compare, were the system specs of your fried system?

I realize you are in Soviet Canukastan and prices are going to be higher, but that's a 3rd Gen CPU, and by way of contrast I bought something close to that for 200$ USALand money.

What else did you find?

(brb, time to find some dinner, I'll respond when I am done)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I realize you are in Soviet Canukastan and prices are going to be higher, but that's a 3rd Gen CPU, and by way of contrast I bought something close to that for 200$ USALand money.

What else did you find?

I dont know the prices here in Canada and the normal prices are. I dont know anything sorry. 

8 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

That shouldn't have fried anything. Unless you forced the connector in backwards. See how 2 of the corners are "cut off" it's so that they can't go backwards. If you did plug it in correctly, it shouldn't have fried anything since you'd have no 12v. 

Reveal hidden contents

33ac7cb97aba6808b74a7a430af872bb5807141f

To make things easier, if you want to troubleshoot and see if we can get your computer going, I'll wait until you and @Radium_Angelget a computer figured out. That way we don't have two topics going in the same thread trying to talk over each other.

I want to apologize to you and @Radium_Angel for being a downer and not complying but I'm just really recovering from depression and I've been having a hard time. My pc was the only thing I had and I've been just been alone and I wanted to clean my pc. Then I broke it. It was kind of losing a best friend to me it was heart breaking to me when It didnt turn on and I've just been so exhausted for the past couple weeks. So i apologize for not agreeing with what you guys say. 

15 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

What else did you find?

20210417_162046.jpg

20210417_162028.jpg

20210417_162107.jpg

11 minutes ago, WildeRain said:

I want to apologize to you and @Radium_Angel for being a downer and not complying but I'm just really recovering from depression and I've been having a hard time. My pc was the only thing I had and I've been just been alone and I wanted to clean my pc. Then I broke it. It was kind of losing a best friend to me it was heart breaking to me when It didnt turn on and I've just been so exhausted for the past couple weeks. So i apologize for not agreeing with what you guys say. 

Don't worry about it bud, we're here for you 🙂

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

The RAM is nice at 32GB.

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

The RAM is nice at 32GB.

1080 Ti 16gb founders edition, 16 gb ram x4 4gb sticks, dont know the mother board sorry. 120 ssd, 2 tb hdd 6 fans I think all of them 120 cm, i5 4690k. Also I was looking through them and judging by your comments on the prices.... none of them are good. Because they're all i5 4th gen all above 400 cad. So yeah I'm losing hope. It's just me I guess.

10 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

The RAM is nice at 32GB.

Sorry I have to charge my phone. It's the only thing I have on my I'll be back. I dont know what else you guys can offer me. I've looked through the options and budget I have and nothing fits. I've learned abit from you guys but I'll still need help. But j have to charge my phone and keep it cooled. Its warm about in my hands and it could drain the battery faster or something. Thank you for your time and @IkeaGnomefor looking at this thread. I will be back. 

33 minutes ago, WildeRain said:

If you can front the extra $75, that NZXT build is a really good one for the price. It'll also be a huge step up from your old one. The bonus you have going for you is the GPU shortage. You could more than likely flip the GPU on ebay or craigslist to cover the extra cost once you got it. Here's what GTX 760s have been selling for on eBay recently. 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=gtx+670&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

Anywhere from $50 to $150 USD. 

The other thing that is possible (and kind of why I was pushing the troubleshooting) is we can figure what exactly went wrong in your old PC, then your 1080ti could go in the NZXT build for you to have an amazing computer on a really good budget and then you could sell the GTX 760 with the 4690k computer.

I think a lot more people than you might realize understand the ups and downs of hardware working then not because of something simple and getting caught up with that. I do fully believe the shop was putting you on when they said everything was fried. That is highly highly unlikely to happen. 

Best case scenario, you plugged the fan in wrong, fan got fried. Power supply protections shut the computer off and your hard drive didn't like that.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

37 minutes ago, WildeRain said:

1080 Ti 16gb founders edition, 16 gb ram x4 4gb sticks, dont know the mother board sorry. 120 ssd, 2 tb hdd 6 fans I think all of them 120 cm, i5 4690k. Also I was looking through them and judging by your comments on the prices.... none of them are good. Because they're all i5 4th gen all above 400 cad. So yeah I'm losing hope. It's just me I guess.

I believe we can use a lot of that stuff on your new build, you'll have yourself a nice little setup once it's all done

48 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

If you can front the extra $75, that NZXT build is a really good one for the price. It'll also be a huge step up from your old one. The bonus you have going for you is the GPU shortage. You could more than likely flip the GPU on ebay or craigslist to cover the extra cost once you got it. Here's what GTX 760s have been selling for on eBay recently. 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=gtx+670&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

Anywhere from $50 to $150 USD. 

The other thing that is possible (and kind of why I was pushing the troubleshooting) is we can figure what exactly went wrong in your old PC, then your 1080ti could go in the NZXT build for you to have an amazing computer on a really good budget and then you could sell the GTX 760 with the 4690k computer.

I think a lot more people than you might realize understand the ups and downs of hardware working then not because of something simple and getting caught up with that. I do fully believe the shop was putting you on when they said everything was fried. That is highly highly unlikely to happen. 

Best case scenario, you plugged the fan in wrong, fan got fried. Power supply protections shut the computer off and your hard drive didn't like that.

The so the price for that nzxt is okay? It's the best one I can look at and available atm. Theres lots more but all of them are i5 fourth gen and priced more with less ram and less powerful gpu. Maybe theres more posted since I've been gone.

33 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I believe we can use a lot of that stuff on your new build, you'll have yourself a nice little setup once it's all done

Just need to find the good one. @IkeaGnomesaid NZXT seems okay.

8 minutes ago, WildeRain said:

The so the price for that nzxt is okay? It's the best one I can look at and available atm. Theres lots more but all of them are i5 fourth gen and priced more with less ram and less powerful gpu. Maybe theres more posted since I've been gone.

I really don't think it's bad for that price. The case is "meh". It's a NZXT case so it's not going to do very well on airflow, but it'll look pretty. If it were me, I'd transplant the CPU, Motherboard, RAM and Power supply to your current case if you can. 

Then if nothing else, you can part out the rest and sell it. The NZXT case, cooler, GPU etc. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

I really don't think it's bad for that price. The case is "meh". It's a NZXT case so it's not going to do very well on airflow, but it'll look pretty. If it were me, I'd transplant the CPU, Motherboard, RAM and Power supply to your current case if you can. 

Then if nothing else, you can part out the rest and sell it. The NZXT case, cooler, GPU etc. 

That's what I was thinking. I was going to transplant but I'm afraid I might do the wrong things connecting things to the wrong things.  This is what I was offered as brand new pieces. 

20210416_155338.jpg

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

The RAM is nice at 32GB.

What about this?

20210417_181006.jpg

20210417_181030.jpg

14 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Thoughts on this?

20210417_181006.jpg

20210417_181030.jpg

10 minutes ago, WildeRain said:

That's what I was thinking. I was going to transplant but I'm afraid I might do the wrong things connecting things to the wrong things.  This is what I was offered as brand new pieces. 

-snip-

The i5 10400 will do amazing. Especially coming from a 4th gen.

The listing for the motherboard has me a little bit confused. It says "W/ DDR4-2666". Are they selling you RAM with that and then also trying to sell you the Ballistix ram?

With a B460 board, 2666 Mhz is as fast as you'll be able to get the RAM to run. You can get the 3200MHZ listed here, but it won't run to that full speed. You may as well ask if they have that in a 2666 MHZ kit(which should be cheaper)

That's a very common budget SSD to get recommended here.

Tier B unit, it'll do you well.

If you wanted to go this route, I'm sure someone here will help you get everything set up correctly. I know I'll give you a hand regardless of what you choose. 

As far as the build you just quoted us both in, I wouldn't touch that. It'll be a solid down grade from your 4690K

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

4 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

The listing for the motherboard has me a little bit confused. It says "W/ DDR4-2666". Are they selling you RAM with that and then also trying to sell you the Ballistix ram?

With a B460 board, 2666 Mhz is as fast as you'll be able to get the RAM to run. You can get the 3200MHZ listed here, but it won't run to that full speed. You may as well ask if they have that in a 2666 MHZ kit(which should be cheaper)

If you wanted to go this route, I'm sure someone here will help you get everything set up correctly. I know I'll give you a hand regardless of what you choose. 

As far as the build you just quoted us both in, I wouldn't touch that. It'll be a solid down grade from your 4690K

That is super helpful. I'm glad you found the list a good list. As for the things you said with numbers I dont understand it. But I trust you said I can get something cheaper if I downgrade one part?

8 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

@Radial_Angel thoughts?

20210417_182244.jpg

20210417_182223.jpg

5 minutes ago, WildeRain said:

That is super helpful. I'm glad you found the list a good list. As for the things you said with numbers I dont understand it. But I trust you said I can get something cheaper if I downgrade one part?

I'm not sure how much you want to learn here, so just tell me to shut up if you just want a parts list 😉

i5 10400 is the CPU they quoted you. It's a very good CPU currently. It's not newest, but it's still very competitive especially at the price it sells for.

B460 is referring to the chipset on the motherboard. Different chipsets are for different generation of CPU and different brand of CPU. For the i5 10400 you have the option of H410(most basic, doesn't have a lot of expansion slots or USB. Usually will be in computers that companies buy for general use). B460 which will have more USB slots, expansion slots, and let the RAM run a little faster than H410. Then you have Z490, which allows over clocking of the CPU, RAM, more slots for USB and expansion. 

2666mhz is how fast the RAM works. The faster it can work, the faster the CPU communicates with the GPU and your storage.

The SSD refers to the Western Digital Blue. That's basically what your 2.5 SSD turned into with a speed boost.

Tier B refers to the PSU and the tier list on the forums. Tier B tend to be good budget power supplies. 

That being said, your 1080ti could run off a 650W PSU just fine. I'm looking through Memory Express' website to see where some costs can be saved. They don't really have a more budget RAM than what they quoted you. Especially not for 2666 Mhz. That power supply is on sale for $5 off right now. And they aren't stocking any 8th or 9th gen Intel CPUs. Realistically, Mr Matt at Memory Express did about everything he could for getting that down. 

If we could confirm your SSD is good, you could use that instead of the Western Digital drive (M.2) that Matt quoted you and cut $80 off the  $677. 

That being said, the i7 7700 is faster than the 10400 at Memory Express in some games and slightly slower in some games. That PC you put a picture of above with that 7700 is the best looking so far.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

15 minutes ago, WildeRain said:

@Radial_Angel thoughts?

20210417_182244.jpg

20210417_182223.jpg

Better specs, but simply avoid Acer. I may be biased because I had basically the same prebuilt and it was...well bad would be an understatement.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

2 minutes ago, Downkey said:

Better specs, but simply avoid Acer. I may be biased because I had basically the same prebuilt and it was...well bad would be an understatement.

What issues did you run into with it out of curiosity?

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

15 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

What issues did you run into with it out of curiosity?

It's okay it just sold. Just now. Thanks for replying

46 minutes ago, WildeRain said:

Thoughts on this?

20210417_181006.jpg

20210417_181030.jpg

Junk, way way way out of date and poor for today. Skip

25 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

I'm not sure how much you want to learn here, so just tell me to shut up if you just want a parts list 😉

i5 10400 is the CPU they quoted you. It's a very good CPU currently. It's not newest, but it's still very competitive especially at the price it sells for.

B460 is referring to the chipset on the motherboard. Different chipsets are for different generation of CPU and different brand of CPU. For the i5 10400 you have the option of H410(most basic, doesn't have a lot of expansion slots or USB. Usually will be in computers that companies buy for general use). B460 which will have more USB slots, expansion slots, and let the RAM run a little faster than H410. Then you have Z490, which allows over clocking of the CPU, RAM, more slots for USB and expansion. 

2666mhz is how fast the RAM works. The faster it can work, the faster the CPU communicates with the GPU and your storage.

The SSD refers to the Western Digital Blue. That's basically what your 2.5 SSD turned into with a speed boost.

Tier B refers to the PSU and the tier list on the forums. Tier B tend to be good budget power supplies. 

That being said, your 1080ti could run off a 650W PSU just fine. I'm looking through Memory Express' website to see where some costs can be saved. They don't really have a more budget RAM than what they quoted you. Especially not for 2666 Mhz. That power supply is on sale for $5 off right now. And they aren't stocking any 8th or 9th gen Intel CPUs. Realistically, Mr Matt at Memory Express did about everything he could for getting that down. 

If we could confirm your SSD is good, you could use that instead of the Western Digital drive (M.2) that Matt quoted you and cut $80 off the  $677. 

That being said, the i7 7700 is faster than the 10400 at Memory Express in some games and slightly slower in some games. That PC you put a picture of above with that 7700 is the best looking so far.

I'm gonna save this. Very helpful. The i7 just sold and it was too far from me. But still thanks to your words I will keep them open. I just need to buy fans I guess. Because all my fans maybe have fried too. And I will be testing the drives I have. Once I have parts. Thank you for your time!