Buying a gaming pc in the market place. Help.

Go to solution Solved by Radium_Angel,

Ok, that NZXT is getting somewhere....that's not a bad build

You can sell off the GPU (the GTX 760) to recoup some money.

The RAM is nice at 32GB.

What, by way of compare, were the system specs of your fried system?

Hello. I'm new here. And I have a story and I need your guys' help. I recently lost my pc. I fried it by accident. It had a sentimental value to me and I was pretty much heart broken when I fried it by accident. Now I'm in Facebook and there are alot of pc in here but I'm in huge under budget. I just need your help with the pc I have my eyes on if that's okay? Is that okay to post and ask for help here? Because I dont know what to look for. My mind Is still clouded and I cant think straight. Please help me?

Yes, we can help.

Is there anything you can salvage from the old system?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

Yes, we can help.

Is there anything you can salvage from the old system?

My gpu still works 1080 Ti founders edition. My case. The psu still works but the shop I went for a repair for said I shouldn't use it anymore. I was given a list for a budget replacement and it ended up with 677 cad but then I went to market place and found some pc. My budget is under 600. Sorry long text.

Just now, WildeRain said:

My gpu still works 1080 Ti founders edition. My case. The psu still works but the shop I went for a repair for said I shouldn't use it anymore. I was given a list for a budget replacement and it ended up with 677 cad but then I went to market place and found some pc. My budget is under 600. Sorry long text.

So your computer still works then or what broke? What are your current specs?

2 minutes ago, WildeRain said:

So list some of the PCs you have found, and we'll tell you if they are good deals or not.

It will help that we can re-use your video card and case if need be

Your hard drive (if it's a spinning one) shouild still be good to go.

How, exactly, did you fry your old system?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

So your computer still works then or what broke? What are your current specs?

My computer doesn't work anymore. Shop said everything is fried and they took it appart. I just took the parts home. Only gpu works. The old spec was i5 4690k ? I think if I remember 2tb HDD, 120ssd, 16 GB ram. All seven fans are fried too. I dont know my mobo sorry and a CD thingy. Where you out the CD in? Yeah that.

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

So list some of the PCs you have found, and we'll tell you if they are good deals or not.

It will help that we can re-use your video card and case if need be

Your hard drive (if it's a spinning one) shouild still be good to go.

How, exactly, did you fry your old system?

I fried it by putting my fan connectors to the psu the wrong way. And plus it had wrong puts it had 3 pins but the psu had four female connectors. The shop said ssd and hdd are fried too. Should I take a screen shot and send it here? Or through DM I dont know please help. 

I fried it by putting my fan connectors to the psu the wrong way. And plus it had wrong puts it had 3 pins but the psu had four female connectors. The shop said ssd and hdd are fried too. Should I take a screen shot and send it here? Or through DM I dont know please help. 

Mounting a fan the wrong way should only fry the fan...I'd strongly suspect what the shop has to say.

If you pull out everything not required to boot, will the system power on?

1 minute ago, WildeRain said:

More pictures the better. 

The fan shouldn't be able to hook directly into the PSU.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

More pictures the better. 

The fan shouldn't be able to hook directly into the PSU.

Yeah not directly but it was through connectors. Picture of the pc I have my eye on? Or pictures of my broken pc?

4 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Mounting a fan the wrong way should only fry the fan...I'd strongly suspect what the shop has to say.

If you pull out everything not required to boot, will the system power on?

I tried alot yeah stripping it. No ram, one stick of ram, no gpu. Wouldn't turn on no beeping sound like the reddit thread said. Not connecting the drives. It doesn't turn on. I have my parts in pieces back. Otherwise it cost me 50 bucks to get them to put it back again. 

Yeah not directly but it was through connectors. Picture of the pc I have my eye on? Or pictures of my broken pc?

If you want to see about fixing the computer, that. I do think it's highly unlikely that everything is fried. Seems like there's a couple people here that would help with troubleshooting if you want.

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Just now, IkeaGnome said:

If you want to see about fixing the computer, that. I do think it's highly unlikely that everything is fried. Seems like there's a couple people here that would help with troubleshooting if you want.

I have no equipment to testing those parts sorry. I have nothing on me. Just those parts  I cant afford to spend much more and I've honestly given up and it was just hard for me to accept my pc died and I'm honestly still griefing.  So I dont know I'm abit exhausted and keeping my Hope's up inside me is just gone. I'm sorry. That's why ive been looking at replacement.

3 minutes ago, WildeRain said:

Pictures or specs (specs would be preferable)

I used to do data recovery for a living, spinner hard drives are *exceptionally* hard to kill, I"m willing to bet that is still good.

I have no equipment to testing those parts sorry. I have nothing on me. Just those parts  I cant afford to spend much more and I've honestly given up and it was just hard for me to accept my pc died and I'm honestly still griefing.  So I dont know I'm abit exhausted and keeping my Hope's up inside me is just gone. I'm sorry. That's why ive been looking at replacement.

Right, well hang on to those parts, when you get a new system, we can use it to test the old parts with.

But set that aside for now, what are you looking at on FB marketplace?

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

Pictures or specs (specs would be preferable)

I used to do data recovery for a living, spinner hard drives are *exceptionally* hard to kill, I"m willing to bet that is still good.

That would save me so much but I'm just exhausted on having my Hopes up. I will start with pictures and specs. Thank you very much for your time 

That would save me so much but I'm just exhausted on having my Hopes up. I will start with pictures and specs. Thank you very much for your time 

Don't worry. It's highly unlikely that everything died at the same time. There's so much protection built into everything. 

I'm mostly curious about the 3 pin to 4 pin thing that seems to have caused this. When you're talking about fans and 3 pins going to something on the PSU that is 4 pins, I'm imagining 

Spoiler

The female hereconnector_mb_fan_3pin.jpg

To this Molex_male_connector-5965c9833df78cdc68c

and the actual terminals on the inside shouldn't be able to touch.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Right, well hang on to those parts, when you get a new system, we can use it to test the old parts with.

But set that aside for now, what are you looking at on FB marketplace?

20210417_155212.jpg

20210417_155248.jpg

20210417_155229.jpg

No, HPs are garbage

Next ?

4 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Don't worry. It's highly unlikely that everything died at the same time. There's so much protection built into everything. 

I'm mostly curious about the 3 pin to 4 pin thing that seems to have caused this. When you're talking about fans and 3 pins going to something on the PSU that is 4 pins, I'm imagining 

Hide contents

The female hereconnector_mb_fan_3pin.jpg

To this Molex_male_connector-5965c9833df78cdc68c

and the actual terminals on the inside shouldn't be able to touch.

20210417_155754.jpg

20210417_155754.jpg

It was that. I think I put them backwards.

That HP is a 1st Gen CPU (by way on contrast, Intel is on their 11th gen right now) It's a complete rip-off, I wouldn't give them 50$ for that

3 minutes ago, WildeRain said:

It was that. I think I put them backwards.

That shouldn't have fried anything. Unless you forced the connector in backwards. See how 2 of the corners are "cut off" it's so that they can't go backwards. If you did plug it in correctly, it shouldn't have fried anything since you'd have no 12v. 

Spoiler

33ac7cb97aba6808b74a7a430af872bb5807141f

To make things easier, if you want to troubleshoot and see if we can get your computer going, I'll wait until you and @Radium_Angelget a computer figured out. That way we don't have two topics going in the same thread trying to talk over each other.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

That HP is a 1st Gen CPU (by way on contrast, Intel is on their 11th gen right now) It's a complete rip-off, I wouldn't give them 50$ for that

20210417_160441.jpg

20210417_160514.jpg

20210417_160457.jpg

2 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

That shouldn't have fried anything. Unless you forced the connector in backwards. See how 2 of the corners are "cut off" it's so that they can't go backwards. If you did plug it in correctly, it shouldn't have fried anything since you'd have no 12v. 

Hide contents

33ac7cb97aba6808b74a7a430af872bb5807141f

To make things easier, if you want to troubleshoot and see if we can get your computer going, I'll wait until you and @Radium_Angelget a computer figured out. That way we don't have two topics going in the same thread trying to talk over each other.

I tried trouble shooting it. I posted a reddit thread and there was lots of tips on it and lost of misinformation I've said apparently because I dont know what I was talking about but I dont know I've given up hope. I'm exhausted mentally and I dont know what else to do that's why I went to the repair shop. What else could we have possibly be doing to it?