My Internet speed has deteriorated pretty badly after Covid .....What's your situation ?

james_bond

Please read this >>> https://telecom.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/covid-19-lockdown-drags-network-speeds/74881768

The speed keeps fluctuating all day. Sometimes the speed is good, sometimes the speed falls so much I cant Youtube videos even at 720p.

What's the situation in your country ? Is Internet working same as before ?

Using only Linux since 2007. Not a single MS Windows or Mac client at home.

I have noticed slowdowns at the and of the month. Also during Covid my speeds are Crap! Tho it is good egnough for 1080p Videos. 

*sry bad english*

3 minutes ago, james_bond said:

Absolutely no variance whatsoever. Getting the same speeds as before the covid and time-of-day doesn't matter, either -- getting the same speeds 24/7/365.

Finland is a great place to live in for an Internet-addicted nerd.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

10 minutes ago, james_bond said:

Please read this >>> https://telecom.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/covid-19-lockdown-drags-network-speeds/74881768

The speed keeps fluctuating all day. Sometimes the speed is good, sometimes the speed falls so much I cant Youtube videos even at 720p.

Absolutely unusable for me, can't even open a website without waiting 20s minimum, paying for 50 down and 25 up, getting 5 down and 2 up with 80ms ping (servers in my city). It was perfect before the pandemic, my speed decreases a lot in the evening for some reason. 

1 minute ago, knockless said:

Absolutely unusable for me, can't even open a website without waiting 20s minimum, paying for 50 down and 25 up, getting 5 down and 2 up with 80ms ping (servers in my city). It was perfect before the pandemic, my speed decreases a lot in the evening for some reason. 

What did you expect, living on Mars?

elephants

It has decreased where I live. I believe it has been throttled by our ISPs ever since the initial lockdowns because more people are still working from home. Im assuming they have done this to support the large number of users on their network.

Things are the same on my side in Canada. Actually, it's slightly faster.

I should be getting 30Mbps. I'm getting 33Mbps.

image.png.fcc5786f8e5c277cd6ee2031bf952333.png

I guess having proper regulations that are actively enforced helps a lot to prevent ISPs and other services provider from screwing their customers over. They also know they'd be sued if they just dropped the speed and claimed random excuses for it like the increased demand puts too much of a strain of the network or whatever other BS they're known to crap out of their PR mouthholes.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Our service is slower, but we still get what we pay for. From my understanding we have a lot of old people who live around me, so I would say not a lot of people are working from home on my node. So while there has been increased usage, its not that bad. Plus we have started opening back up and people are getting back to work, <removed by staff>. 

Edited by SansVarnic

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

If your local ISP node has more customers who are working or playing from home more, then yeah congestion will occur until the network provider solves the bottle necks.

Works fine in NZ. Always have had terrible internet. Getting Starlink soon though ! 

Where I used to live in Texas, we had a co-op Internet provider and was getting more than what we paid for. We paid for 50down/50up (Mbps) and were getting about 100 down/100up consistently. It never really got slower than that, even during the worst of the shutdown there; there just wasn't enough people around for that.

Where I live now, Pittsburgh, I pay for 400down/10up(Mbps) through a bundled deal with my apartment (Xfinity). For the most part it's fine, but there are times when it does dip down to like 30down/10up. But, I typically get faster than what I pay for. Currently it's at 482down/12up.

For me it got better, but not because of covid, my parents changed our ISP, it's same same Technology (VDSL) but before we had internet thru a cheaper reseller
which was really bad, like packetloss in the evening and instead of the advertised 50 Down, 10 Up it was more like 20 down 2-3 ip (the line was okay, it was the ISP)
Now it's 250 Down, 40 Up which is really 270 Down and 43 Up but my Dad throttled me to 200/39 😅 so it's fine ^^

So in short it really seems to depends on the ISP + the Region as i have friends using the same ISP in just different cities and it varies so much 😕

image.png.1ab617a8f6c792fb7b7efc3ef56e99d8.png

2 hours ago, wasab said:

I only see internet speed go up, but so does the price....

I'm lucky that way my parents pay for it and i can use it without paying for it 😄

Mine has actually gone down a bit after they came and "fixed" the cable tv. I was at 117 down 16 up now I'm at 93 down 8.5 up but the cable tv works perfect now. LOL

Fast test.jpg

5 minutes ago, BScottRockr said:

Mine has actually gone down a bit after they came and "fixed" the cable tv. I was at 117 down 16 up now I'm at 93 down 8.5 up but the cable tv works perfect now. LOL

Fast test.jpg

You might want to blank out that IP address. The number starting with 2600, looks to be an IPv6 address and you dont want people to hack your network. 

Also by nature of how the cable system works, the more people on at a time, the greater chance of not getting what you're paying for. Most cable co's run a certain amount of bandwidth per node. Each node can have 1 to 300 people on it. Ive read in some areas Comcast might have a node for 20 houses passed, meaning the node is for 20 select homes in the neighborhood, but not all of them have service. Historically a node might have 100 to 300 people on it, sharing a Fiber cable back to the co. So when enough people get on, the speeds tend to take. Which is why many ISP's are doing some upgrades, and trying to run more Fiber to the neighborhoods and doing node splits. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I live in rural South Dakota (don't recommend it) and my only option for internet is our local DSL company who charges out the ass ($65 for 25mbps is their cheapest option, their other plans are 50mbps for $85 and 100mbps for $105) and T-Mobile's Home Internet over their cellular network.

I signed up for T-Mobile's internet last year when it became available to us and I average around 50mbps and I'm paying $50 a month. I'm still using the LTE gateway as the 5G gateway is still having some issues.

For our uses, that's more then sufficient.

It hasn't. There's a fatcat mcCEO sitting on 100x bandwith trying to move all strata of customers into higher paying tiers by limiting the package. City's McMeisWow Politician probably making uneconomical for anyone to pass competing internet lines. that's my theory for any place in Canada.

Best marketing schemes I've ever seen. Decades' work. Brilliant what Videotron has been doing.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

Well,The infrastructure in my country is one of the best in the world,COVID didn't change the experience,there is lots of bandwidth.

And i am connected directly to the ISP with an individual optic fiber line - which means that i don't share bandwidth with anyone.

I have 1000 up/1000 down.

Also my ISP is top notch,which is something i cannot say about most ISPs.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

14 hours ago, james_bond said:

Mine is fine. Thankfully infrastructure where I live was upgraded a year or 2 before the pandemic to I still get pretty consistent 1 gig down nearly 1 gig up. 

I downgraded my plan to save money as my new customer discount ran out (had a 3 year deal).

Went down from 200 to 150, my ping went up from 8-16 🥺 when playing Rocket League.

I have not noticed the difference really, my work computer is bar far the biggest bottleneck for speed, second only to the servers of the service I am using.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

It's probably Network Congestion. Towards the end of our service with our Cable Company we were fluctuating between about 60mbps to 300mbps on a 600mbps plan. Still perfectly usable however. A lot of these ISP Network's just are not designed to handle so much traffic at once.

We have however switched to fiber since then and stay pretty consistent with our 1gig plan.

Spoiler

image.png.afdf48a255cf4a648adb0e0233d68966.png

March-April 2020 I noticed some minor issues with increase in latency and jitter. Speeds were fine. Its been perfect since. Guess thats one good thing about living where a bunch of old people live.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

Btw in Europe Netflix and some others reduced the video quality to prevent our infrastructure from being overloaded
also youtube always played the 720p versions by default and you had to manually select 1080p again and again ..

Was it just here or world wide?