New GA106-302 RTX 3060 Revision coming with Hardware Based Mining Limiter coming in May, Possibly coming to the rest of RTX 30 series

AlTech

Summary

According to sources Videocardz talked to, Nvidia are planning to release a new revision of their GA106 die codename GA106-302 which features a new Hardware Based Mining Limiter rather than relying on Software or Drivers to block mining.

The new revised 3060 die is expected to be launching next month in May.

One of their sources also has said that Nvidia could also bring this to their GA102 and GA104 dies.

Quotes

According to HKEPC, NVIDIA is set to launch a new Ampere GPU variant with a better cryptomining limiter. The new GPU codenamed GA106-302 would replace the GA106-300 in GeForce RTX 3060 graphics cards. This new chip would receive a new PCI Device ID which would render any existing drivers useless.

Aside from covering up the beta driver mistake, this tweaked GPU would also come with “further mechanisms” to limit Ethereum mining on the RTX 3060. Presumably, these additional protections will also carry forward to future GPUs, including the rumoured RTX 3080 Ti and RTX 3070 Ti.

My thoughts

I'm honestly not entirely sure how I feel about this. On one hand it should seriously destroy the demand for mining on RTX 3060s when this launches and the existing GA106-300 based models are all sold out. On the other hand, I am reminded of an argument someone made in a prior mining limiting thread for the 3060 about how people don't want to be told what they can't do on their graphics card that they paid for. I do forsee the OG GA106-300 models skyrocketing in price when the new GA106-302 models come out because it will be harder to buy a 3060 which can mine. I'm interested to see what this new GA106-302 variant does in hardware to nerf mining performance and I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Sources

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-to-launch-a-new-ga106-302-gpu-for-geforce-rtx-3060-to-reintroduce-ethereum-mining-limiter

https://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/matthew-wilson/nvidia-reportedly-updating-rtx-3060-gpu-with-additional-anti-mining-tech/

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Prices to skyrocket? RTX 3060 are already being sold for absolutely insane prices of 800 to even 1200€. Yeah, this low-mid end card being sold for more than even already overpriced RTX 3080's. World has gone absolutely insane.

Just now, RejZoR said:

Prices to skyrocket? RTX 3060 are already being sold for absolutely insane prices of 800 to even 1200€. Yeah, this low-mid end card being sold for more than even already overpriced RTX 3080's. World has gone absolutely insane.

I meant skyrocket more than it already has.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

4 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Prices to skyrocket? RTX 3060 are already being sold for absolutely insane prices of 800 to even 1200€.

For single unit yes. In where I live, if you bundle with PC, the price hike is not that crazy.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

*Laughs in Palit RTX 3060 12GB with the OG GA106-300 die*

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

9 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

They paid for a graphics card not a hash accelerator card, case closed.

So you're telling all the people who run Folding @ Home on their GPUs are wrong for doing that?

elephants

13 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

They paid for a graphics card not a hash accelerator card, case closed.

So then I can't use my running shoes to walk in?? I can't use my gaming pc to watch YouTube or to play movies? The only setting you can play Dungeons and Dragons in, is in dungeons with dragons?

See how dumb that argument is? Just because I don't like it doesn't mean no one is allowed to do something with the thing that they payed for.

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

14 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

So you're telling all the people who run Folding @ Home on their GPUs are wrong for doing that?

Nope, all i say is that ppl should stop bitching about a graphics card getting a nerf in an aspect it sint advertised in.

6 minutes ago, themaniac said:

So then I can't use my running shoes to walk in?? I can't use my gaming pc to watch YouTube or to play movies? The only setting you can play Dungeons and Dragons in, is in dungeons with dragons?

Apple vs Orange.....

I just wish nvidia released that FE design for the RTX 3060. I'm not buying one but it looks interesting enough. Is that an axial fan in the place of a blower?

https://i.gyazo.com/9462ed48a6a78c876a7585ed05fe59c5.png

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Just now, jagdtigger said:

Nope, all i say is that ppl should stop bitching about a graphics card getting a nerf in an aspect it sint advertised in.

If GPUs got a F@H performance nerf, would you get annoyed?

elephants

Good we don't need any more people buying pallets of graphics cards to mine on in a already terrible stock shortage situation. Nvidia has a mining graphics card that's the card miners should use to mine on. Besides your better off using the money you would spend on a GPU to mine and investing in cryptocurrency with it. 

9 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

If GPUs got a F@H performance nerf, would you get annoyed?

No nerf anything that's not specifically gaming for all I freaking care. If you need to mine buy a mining card. If you need it for a workstation and rendering buy a professional card built for that. 

13 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Apple vs Orange.....

100% but my point still stands, your argument was that it was a graphics card not a hash card, so my arguement is that my shoes are running shoes, my pc is a gaming pc. If the purpose is not in the name than it cant be used for that purpose.

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Just now, SlidewaysZ said:

If you need to mine buy a mining card.

You do realize that all a mining card is is a regular graphics card without display outputs, right? Plus they're not as attractive to miners as they have no display outputs, meaning they're useless to people wanting to buy a used card.

1 minute ago, SlidewaysZ said:

If you need it for a workstation and rendering buy a professional card built for that. 

Quadros? Those are typically more expensive and not everyone needs the extra features they provide.

4 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Nope.....

What do you suggest then? NVidia make "F@H cards" just for F@H?

elephants

Just now, themaniac said:

100% but my point still stands, your argument was that it was a graphics card not a hash card, so my arguement is that my shoes are running shoes, my pc is a gaming pc. If the purpose is not in the name than it cant be used for that purpose.

But neither of those have any negative effect on anything, on the other hand mining has both a financial and real world consequences. Cant compare the two, if you cant accept this base truth fine. But dont bother me with another BS example.

Just now, FakeKGB said:

What do you suggest then? NVidia make "F@H cards" just for F@H?

Get a card made for compute purposes, end of argument.

1 minute ago, jagdtigger said:

Get a card made for compute purposes, end of argument.

And what about people who want to mine or run F@H in their spare time, like me?
I don't have the money to afford a dedicated compute card, so I run F@H on my GPUs whenever I'm not using them.

GPUs are not ASICs. They can do multiple things and while they may be marketed as gaming cards, they're multipurpose. Person A may just want to game. Person B may only want to mine. Person C may want to game, but mine in their free time. Are you suggesting we just outright deny people who want to both game and mine on the same card?

elephants

1 minute ago, FakeKGB said:

You do realize that all a mining card is is a regular graphics card without display outputs, right? Plus they're not as attractive to miners as they have no display outputs, meaning they're useless to people wanting to buy a used card.

Well too bad for them mining isn't necessary cryptocurrency can cary on if mining never happened again for all I care. 

And what about people who want to mine or run F@H in their spare time, like me?

SOL.... As far as  im concerned crypto is a cancer and as such needs to be removed from existence.

1 minute ago, SlidewaysZ said:

Well too bad for them mining isn't necessary

Neither is gaming, or F@H.

Just now, jagdtigger said:

SOL....

That's stupid and you know it.

elephants

Neither is gaming, or F@H.

Well the card is specifically made for gaming and they were made for gaming long before cryptocurrency came along. It's a gaming card and like I said earlier if you want to mine do it on a mining card.