New installed RAM won't clock to 3600MHz

Hyron

Hey there, 
Yesterday I've installed some new RAM sticks. I upgraded from my old HyperX HX426C15FBK2/16 2*8 GB 2666MHz to new Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2*16 GB 3600MHz. With my old RAM sticks I could run XMP and overclock them to 3000MHz with no issues. But with the new sticks it won't boot if I make any changes to the RAM settings. No XMP, no only changing MHz, just won't boot anymore. So it's currently running at 2666 MHz. Changing RAM voltage works though.  I will get a screen after it turns off and on again that bios settings were set back to default. I have the latest BIOS version installed and here is my other Hardware information: 
Motherboard: MSI Z270 GAMING PRO CARBON

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

PSU: Lepa 800W Maxbron

Hopefully somebody can help me with my issue. 

From what you are describing seems that the motherboard is failing to train the memory at 3600MHz causing the system not to post. First thing to check is if your memory is in the QVL for your board: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z270-GAMING-PRO-CARBON#support-mem-4.

What you can try is to run the memory at higher voltage. If the XMP requires 1.35V, you can try 1.4V or 1.45V. In addition to that try booting up at lower frequency first in order for the board to learn the new timings. What you need to do is to run the XMP profile, but lower the frequency to 3200MHz. Boot the computer and see if works. Once you are logged into Windows, restart and go into the BIOS again. Put the frequency to 3466MHz and boot up again. Repeat this process until you manage to boot up at 3600MHz. 

If it still doesn't work, it could be that the memory controller on the 7700K isn't particularly strong so clocking memory this high might simply not be possible due to the silicon lottery on your specific chip. It is important to note that XMP is deemed overclocking so there are no guarantees that it will work. The advertised speed on the box of the memory simply means that the manufacturer has rated that these modules are capable of achieving this speed, not that it will without a doubt be capable of doing this in any circumstances. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

3 hours ago, Analog said:

From what you are describing seems that the motherboard is failing to train the memory at 3600MHz causing the system not to post. First thing to check is if your memory is in the QVL for your board: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z270-GAMING-PRO-CARBON#support-mem-4.

What you can try is to run the memory at higher voltage. If the XMP requires 1.35V, you can try 1.4V or 1.45V. In addition to that try booting up at lower frequency first in order for the board to learn the new timings. What you need to do is to run the XMP profile, but lower the frequency to 3200MHz. Boot the computer and see if works. Once you are logged into Windows, restart and go into the BIOS again. Put the frequency to 3466MHz and boot up again. Repeat this process until you manage to boot up at 3600MHz. 

If it still doesn't work, it could be that the memory controller on the 7700K isn't particularly strong so clocking memory this high might simply not be possible due to the silicon lottery on your specific chip. It is important to note that XMP is deemed overclocking so there are no guarantees that it will work. The advertised speed on the box of the memory simply means that the manufacturer has rated that these modules are capable of achieving this speed, not that it will without a doubt be capable of doing this in any circumstances. 

Thanks for your tip, and I've managed to achieve a little. So I've got XMP now on with the sticks running at 3066. But can't get any higher. I couldn't get 3100MHz to post, even with turning the voltage up to 1.5V, and I'm not really comfortable going any higher. 
I also couldn't find my memory on the MSI website of supported sticks...
Anyway, if there is something else I can try to achieve higher speeds that would be great. My rig is bottle necked at different ends anyways, but with the current situations I can't build a new rig. I guess I have to be happy with what I have so far.

9 minutes ago, Hyron said:

Thanks for your tip, and I've managed to achieve a little. So I've got XMP now on with the sticks running at 3066. But can't get any higher. I couldn't get 3100MHz to post, even with turning the voltage up to 1.5V, and I'm not really comfortable going any higher. 
I also couldn't find my memory on the MSI website of supported sticks...
Anyway, if there is something else I can try to achieve higher speeds that would be great. My rig is bottle necked at different ends anyways, but with the current situations I can't build a new rig. I guess I have to be happy with what I have so far.

From the sound of it it seems to me that simply the memory controller on your chip isn't capable of more than 3000MHz. As a last resort, to achieve 3600MHz what you can try is to loosen the primary timings and set everything manually instead of using XMP. I would say 20-22-22-42-64 as the primary timings. You set them in the given order as in the example I stole from the internet below: 

image.png.246b9b7af51c1fbee6d68e5154687033.png

Set voltage to 1.35V, if you have the option set the command rate at 2T and leave every other setting on auto. Press F10 to save and exit and hope that it is going to work out. If you do manage to boot up, you can then go back and try to tighten the timings each one at a time. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

• 2 years later...

I have an asus rog strix b560-A and when I put my 3600MHz Corsair 2x 16 GB ram in, I turn on XMP for the ram but it keeps posting ram issue or not functioning properly so I kept it at default unfortunately at 2133 but I was wondering if someone can tell me if it’s either something wrong with the XMP profile or user error that I’m not fully comprehending.

37 minutes ago, GioKiwi said:

I have an asus rog strix b560-A and when I put my 3600MHz Corsair 2x 16 GB ram in, I turn on XMP for the ram but it keeps posting ram issue or not functioning properly so I kept it at default unfortunately at 2133 but I was wondering if someone can tell me if it’s either something wrong with the XMP profile or user error that I’m not fully comprehending.

This is quite the grave dig, but to answer your question the cpu may not be able to do 3600mhz. There is the RAM that has to be able to sustain that speed, and the memory controller on the cpu. If either one has a problem, it won’t work.

Check the timings and voltage of the XMP profile (brake a pic or write them down). Now use manual mode to input timings and voltage, but instead of 3600mhz start with a lower frequency like 3000mhz and see if it works. Keep upping the mhz until you run into an issue, then back down one step.