SSD on old motherboard

Curesto

Hi, i want to get an SSD, for my PC.

I have "Asus ROG Commando" motherboard from 2007. It has P965 as a north bridge and ICH8R as a south and if i'm not wrong, it only supports SATA2.

But, SATA SSDs are SATA3.

Now, i wonder if i get SSD, am i going the get less performance? Is it worth it?

My current drive is: Samsung HD155UI 1.5 TB 5400 RPM.

SATA3 SSD will effectively be running at SATA2 speeds (a little under 300MB/s max). But even at SATA2 it will still be noticably faster.

9 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

SATA3 SSD will effectively be running at SATA2 speeds (a little under 300MB/s max). But even at SATA2 it will still be noticably faster.

Thanks.

Any regular SATA SSD should work on your motherboard, but at SATA 2 speeds (maximum 300 MB/s, realistically around 280 MB/s)

SOME ssd controllers may not like it, if some features like NCQ are not active/enabled (not sure if they were a thing on SATA 2) and self-trimming and other internal features may not work well which means you may have to manually issue a TRIM once a week or once a month (the defragmenting tool in Windows has an option for it I think, otherwise o&o defrag has a feature for it and possibly other free defragmenting tools) otherwise the ssd could slow down over time and degrade faster because it won't free up unused memory cells until it has to.

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Any regular SATA SSD should work on your motherboard, but at SATA 2 speeds (maximum 300 MB/s, realistically around 280 MB/s)

SOME ssd controllers may not like it, if some features like NCQ are not active/enabled (not sure if they were a thing on SATA 2) and self-trimming and other internal features may not work well which means you may have to manually issue a TRIM once a week or once a month (the defragmenting tool in Windows has an option for it I think, otherwise o&o defrag has a feature for it and possibly other free defragmenting tools) otherwise the ssd could slow down over time and degrade faster because it won't free up unused memory cells until it has to.

I'm thinking about to get Samsung EVO 870 250 GB.

13 minutes ago, Curesto said:

I'm thinking about to get Samsung EVO 870 250 GB.

I would personally go for something cheaper that still has DRAM. You really wont benefit from getting a decent SSD, especially last time I checked your graphics card was overheating to death. Put the money you save towards the fans.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, Levent said:

I would personally go for something cheaper that still has DRAM. You really wont benefit from getting a decent SSD, especially last time I checked your graphics card was overheating to death. Put the money you save towards the fans.

About graphics card, i'm thinking about to get 2 85mm "Dual-X" fans.

6 minutes ago, Levent said:

Doesn't the 870 Evo has dram? Or am I mixing it up with the 860 Evo that already proven itself?

I would suggest OP to get a Crucial MX500.

6 minutes ago, FRD said:

Doesn't the 870 Evo has dram? Or am I mixing it up with the 860 Evo that already proven itself?

IIRC All Evo and Pro SSDs have DRAM. I wasnt suggesting that drive didnt have DRAM, I may have worded that badly. I was suggesting OP to get something cheaper that still has DRAM.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

8 minutes ago, FRD said:

What's the benefit of DRAM?

I'd say don't stress too much about SSD having dram or not.

The presence of ram won't really matter when the ssd is running at the slower 300 MB/s and at 250 GB of capacity, you're not gonna write tons of files to it ...

But something from a brand name, buy something with TLC as it has longer endurance...

SSDs keep a table with the location of the files (ex file readme.txt starts at memory chip 1, page 100) ... every time you write  a file that table has to be updated.. By keeping the table in DRAM and saving only at shut down the ssd reduces wear on the SSD and makes the ssd a bit faster because the ssd doesn't have to pause writing a file to update that table with locations of files after each file is written. 

BUT ... once you install windows and some games the amount of writes on a drive are so small and so few that it really won't matter that much and with the SSD running at sata2 speeds, you won't notice ssd being slower than drives with dram.

5 minutes ago, mariushm said:

I'd say don't stress too much about SSD having dram or not.

The presence of ram won't really matter when the ssd is running at the slower 300 MB/s and at 250 GB of capacity, you're not gonna write tons of files to it ...

But something from a brand name, buy something with TLC as it has longer endurance...

SSDs keep a table with the location of the files (ex file readme.txt starts at memory chip 1, page 100) ... every time you write  a file that table has to be updated.. By keeping the table in DRAM and saving only at shut down the ssd reduces wear on the SSD and makes the ssd a bit faster because the ssd doesn't have to pause writing a file to update that table with locations of files after each file is written. 

BUT ... once you install windows and some games the amount of writes on a drive are so small and so few that it really won't matter that much and with the SSD running at sata2 speeds, you won't notice ssd being slower than drives with dram.

Thanks. Which 250 GB SSD models are have DRAM?

4 minutes ago, Curesto said:

Honestly no idea, I'd say very few, because flash memory is so cheap and the capacities have increased so much it's almost not worth making 250 GB SSDs anymore.

To get good performance (high speeds and endurance) a ssd needs to use at least 2-4 flash memory chips but now manufacturers optimize their production line to make 256-512 GB chips (one chip with that much capacity) ... so a 250 GB SSD would have to use either old 64-128 GB chips to get performance, or use a single 256 GB chip and get lower performance.

Also, the profits at those low capacities are so low, that the 1$ the ram chip adds to the cost does make a difference.

Probably WD Black would have dram, probably samsung "pro" ssds ...

On 4/17/2021 at 5:08 PM, Curesto said:

What's the benefit of DRAM?

If a SSD controller has a DRAM cache along with it it can easier reach and park data. Simply SSDs with DRAM cache are faster and better performing than SSDS without one.

It will be most noticeable when transferring large files where speed will go down because of the size, but that also depends on if an SSD is QLC or TLC for example.

On 4/17/2021 at 3:44 PM, Curesto said:

MX500, 860 Evo, 870 Evo, WD Blue are some good SSD's with DRAM. Get whichever you find the cheapest.

Attention is what makes life meaningful.

Also, please quote me for a reply. 🙂