PC instantly shuts down during gaming with new GPU

Oscar102

Hello.

I have a problem with a new graphics card that i bought. I install the new GPU, put the HDMI into the card and start the PC. I come to the desktop. But when i start any game, my PC shuts down instantly after around 10 seconds. Its like you switch off the powerbutton. But then after around 5 seconds, the PC boot up again and i come to the desktop. I have no problem with my old graphics card and i can play any game without issues. Me and my dad installed the graphics card in hes computer and it works without any problems. So it's nothing wrong with the graphics card (i think).

I check the log files and it says: "The computer has restarted without turning off properly first. This error can occur if the system stops responding, if it crashes or if the power supply is unexpectedly cut off." I think it's the power which is the issue here. But what is strange is that the computer works flawlessly with the old graphics card.

This is what i got in my PC:

CPU: i5 10600k

GPU: GTX 1660 Super

RAM: 16gb

Storage: 1tb ssd, 1tb hdd

PSU: Nesteq Model NO: ECS 7001, 700W, W/PFC

My new GPU: asus rtx 2060 dual advanced edition (overclocked)

I have personaly start to think that my PSU is unable to handle the new GPU becuse of its age and i have to get a new PSU. Neither I nor dad know how old it is, but i have had it since i got my first PC which was like in 2010. I do not know if the PSU still generates 700w or if it has dropped. As i said before we tested the card in my dad's PC without issues but hes PSU is a Corsair rm850x which is from 2015.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can solve this problem?

(I have to apologize if the spelling is wrong. English is not my main language)

Have you uninstalled the old GPU drivers and installed the new ones after putting the 2060 in? When installing a new graphics card you should uninstall the old drivers using a program like DDU, then install the new drivers after you installed the new GPU since the 1660 and the 2060 do not share the same graphics driver.

To use DDU you will need to boot Windows in safe mode.

1 hour ago, Oscar102 said:

My new GPU: asus rtx 2060 dual advanced edition (overclocked)

I have personaly start to think that my PSU is unable to handle the new GPU becuse of its age and i have to get a new PSU. Neither I nor dad know how old it is, but i have had it since i got my first PC which was like in 2010. I do not know if the PSU still generates 700w or if it has dropped. As i said before we tested the card in my dad's PC without issues but hes PSU is a Corsair rm850x which is from 2015.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can solve this problem?

(I have to apologize if the spelling is wrong. English is not my main language)

Instant shut downs under load, yeah, its probably the power supply, which can't provide the advertised 700W and its overcurrent protection is tripping. You don't need a higher wattage power supply, just a better quality one.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Why do you use a 13 yo psu in a new system? It's a very old groupregulated unit with bad voltageregulation for nowadays standards. Replace that oldtimer.

39 minutes ago, Analog said:

Instant shut downs under load, yeah, its probably the power supply, which can't provide the advertised 700W and its overcurrent protection is tripping. You don't need a higher wattage power supply, just a better quality one.

So getting a new PSU could potential fix the problem? But that doesn't explain why my current system works. New processor and fairly new graphics card that works on an older PSU...

Well, it's actually not working, as you say. It gets to the desktop, but it can't run any games. I've had a similar issue with a previous personal build, and getting a new psu eliminated pretty much all my problems (a simple storage upgrade/replacement eliminated some of the other problems I had at the time too).

What the other users are suggesting is a new psu, because of its age. An older psu could not only hamper on performance, but could also damage your components (including the motherboard) as they lose capacity. I'll be honest in saying that I've never even heard of that brand either. However, thankfully, you can get a new psu at good prices. You may want to check out pcpartpicker for more information on that. I would recommend at least a Corsair RMx (or RM) series psu or Seasonic Focus 80+ Gold psu.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2HbwrH/corsair-rmx-2018-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020178-na

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/WrNypg/seasonic-focus-plus-gold-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-650fx

You can go with an 80+ Bronze psu if you're looking to save some money too. Do note that the 80+ Gold psu's will perform better and longer too though.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/R2mxFT/corsair-power-supply-cp9020103na

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

32 minutes ago, GeorgeMKane said:

Well, it's actually not working, as you say. It gets to the desktop, but it can't run any games. I've had a similar issue with a previous personal build, and getting a new psu eliminated pretty much all my problems (a simple storage upgrade/replacement eliminated some of the other problems I had at the time too).

What the other users are suggesting is a new psu, because of its age. An older psu could not only hamper on performance, but could also damage your components (including the motherboard) as they lose capacity. I'll be honest in saying that I've never even heard of that brand either. However, thankfully, you can get a new psu at good prices. You may want to check out pcpartpicker for more information on that. I would recommend at least a Corsair RMx (or RM) series psu or Seasonic Focus 80+ Gold psu.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2HbwrH/corsair-rmx-2018-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020178-na

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/WrNypg/seasonic-focus-plus-gold-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-650fx

You can go with an 80+ Bronze psu if you're looking to save some money too. Do note that the 80+ Gold psu's will perform better and longer too though.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/R2mxFT/corsair-power-supply-cp9020103na

Thanks for the informative answer. I can save even more money by sending the GPU back and get a refund and of course buy a new PSU. I'm sure the 3000 series will come available in the future.

I recommend holding onto that GTX 1660 SUPER, as 3000 series cards are pretty scarce right now. A lot of people don't expect them to largely go back in stock until around black friday and Christmas time, which will already be a nightmare. D:

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos