Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

m.2 rizer for my desktop

Hello, so i have a ryzen build for my desktop. I want to grab some extra HDD space and mechanicals are too slow, and SSD cost the same as a m.2 with a fraction of the performance (in theory). my board currently has 3 m.2 slots on it, but i want to get a rizer for my spare Pcie x16 slot thats able to hold 4 more m.2 slots. ( i understand that they likely wont live up to their true speed but there still faster then a SSD). they will not be ran in raid, i just want them for storing games and programs. 
Is anyone able to recommend a good unit for me? or am i missing some ething and this wont work like i think it will. 
Specs:
CPU: ryzen 5800
mobo: x570 auroras motherboard by gigabyte
ram: 32gb of patriot 3200 ddr4 (though it only is running at 2133 for some reason)
GPU:GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 3070 MASTER

How many tb of storage do you need? Id get fewer bigger drives, and get like a single 8tb ssd.

Since you have a gpu, those 4 m.2 in one card will be limited to 2 drives for the model with out a pcie switch.

Had a Samsung 980 Pro inside a  pcie slot. didn't checked if it was connected to the chipset or directly to the CPU but I didn't noticed a performance degradation.

What you need to avoid are 2 lane (2x) riser and buy the 4x ones.

Won't this also need the motherboard to support bifurcation?

On 4/17/2021 at 12:22 AM, Electronics Wizardy said:

How many tb of storage do you need? Id get fewer bigger drives, and get like a single 8tb ssd.

Since you have a gpu, those 4 m.2 in one card will be limited to 2 drives for the model with out a pcie switch.

i was wanting to do the M.2 cause they are massively faster then a conventional SSD or or HDD. but your looking at about 100$ per terabyte for SSD and m.2. where as seagate barracuda 8tb HDD is 150$. while only 5400rpm and about 190 read,  that should be sufficient for most games. I was just hoping to take as much advantage of the m.2 as possible. 

On 4/17/2021 at 9:17 AM, dailith said:

I want to grab some extra HDD space and mechanicals are too slow, and SSD cost the same as a m.2 with a fraction of the performance (in theory).

What???

HDD = mechanical

M.2 drives are SSD

SATA SSDs are cheaper than NVMe (M.2) while offering comparable performance in terms of loading games.

I won't respond unless you quote me |  SSD tier list (Samsung drives are overpriced) - PSU tier list (80+ metal is ranking of efficiency, not quality) - NVMe is not better than SATA for gaming - AMD is NOT your friend

5 hours ago, dailith said:

i was wanting to do the M.2 cause they are massively faster then a conventional SSD or or HDD. but your looking at about 100$ per terabyte for SSD and m.2. where as seagate barracuda 8tb HDD is 150$. while only 5400rpm and about 190 read,  that should be sufficient for most games. I was just hoping to take as much advantage of the m.2 as possible. 

SO what drives do you already have?

with 3 m.2 drives on the board, you can put 4 or 8tb drives in there and get plenty of space. 

Id get sata ssds before getting the pcie to m.2 riser here.

the cheap way is to use a PCI-e x16 to 4 x PCIe x4 M.2 adapter, but the motherboard have to support biurification, and you have to use the full PCIe x16 slot, to be able to mount all 4 M.2 SSD. 
The heavy price way is to use a PCIe switch with 4 x M.2 slots, as I do now 😄 

Well if you have lots of PCI-e slots, you can also just stick bunch of PCI-e x1 to M.2 adapters, or PCIe x1 risers to a PCI-e x4 to M.2 adapters
The speed are horrible because it's PCIe x1, the old days 🙈

spacer.png