What’s the best laptop for gaming/school?

DGOG

I need a laptop for collage and I need to know what’s good. Something silent yet powerful when needed. I for sure want the next gen cards probably a 3060. Don’t wanna spend over 1400-1500. I was thinking of something along the lines of the asus rog g14 or 15 bc they are sweet looking but I don’t know if they get loud or not. (Btw I already have a good pc the only reason I want gaming performance is because I travel a lot and don’t wanna bring a big ole pc when I go somewhere so don’t tell me to “just get a pc and a cheap laptop.”) Sorry if I sound like a shopping list I just don’t have a lot of experience with laptops and wanna get something that will last. 

1 minute ago, DGOG said:

I need a laptop for collage and I need to know what’s good. Something silent yet powerful when needed. I for sure want the next gen cards probably a 3060. Don’t wanna spend over 1400-1500. I was thinking of something along the lines of the asus rog g14 or 15 bc they are sweet looking but I don’t know if they get loud or not. (Btw I already have a good pc the only reason I want gaming performance is because I travel a lot and don’t wanna bring a big ole pc when I go somewhere so don’t tell me to “just get a pc and a cheap laptop.”) Sorry if I sound like a shopping list I just don’t have a lot of experience with laptops and wanna get something that will last. 

My recommendation would be to get the best one that you can afford without breaking the bank. Laptops, if taken care of last a long time, but this is not really that useful, as technology progresses so fast, that something that was top of the line now will be obsolete in a year or two. As an example, I still have an ROG G51JX from back in 2010 that works perfectly fine. Everything about it, however, is so old that no modern games can be played on it. 

So the takeaway is, don't overspend and don't plan on using it more than two years. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

4 minutes ago, Analog said:

My recommendation would be to get the best one that you can afford without breaking the bank. Laptops, if taken care of last a long time, but this is not really that useful, as technology progresses so fast, that something that was top of the line now will be obsolete in a year or two. As an example, I still have an ROG G51JX from back in 2010 that works perfectly fine. Everything about it, however, is so old that no modern games can be played on it. 

So the takeaway is, don't overspend and don't plan on using it more than two years. 

This was actually helpful info, I might just pick up last gens tbh it’s not worth it to spend too much never really thought of it that way. I forget you can’t upgrade a laptop like you can a pc but I do want something that will at least be able to run csgo rust and stuff like that for at least the next 4 years. Those games aren’t super hard to run so I think I’ll be ok. I do still want some recommendation from people tho. 

3 minutes ago, DGOG said:

This was actually helpful info, I might just pick up last gens tbh it’s not worth it to spend too much never really thought of it that way. I forget you can’t upgrade a laptop like you can a pc but I do want something that will at least be able to run csgo rust and stuff like that for at least the next 4 years. Those games aren’t super hard to run so I think I’ll be ok. I do still want some recommendation from people tho. 

I don't personally own a gaming laptop, but used to have one at the office for work - DELL G5 5590. Was pretty decent and had good cooling. This is what I can recommend from my own experience. 

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/dell-g5-15-gaming-laptop/spd/g-series-15-5500-laptop/gn5500ehwkh

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

personally I would reccomend getting the lightest and and thinnest gaming laptop you can find or better yet just get the cheapest thin and light you can and save the rest on a desktop. having gone through school myself. I hated myself lugging around a gaming laptop with me it was thick , heavy , got in the way of my textbooks and overall ended up just staying at home  I just bought a tablet with a keyboard case to write notes and documents on , used the school computers for projects and spreadsheets. gaming laptops dont neccesarily need to be thick and heavy though but if you plan to have a cool system there are compromises that need to be met. 

EDIT: if you do follow my advice get at lest 8 gigs of ram and make sure it runs on an SSd tp ensure long term speed. 

-> Moved to Laptops and Pre-Built Systems

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv